The Great EFI Debate - Page 9 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 67Likes

post #121 of 193 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If it was using stock 5.0 parts, I'd say he probably means one of these?
Thats it. didnt bother checking but later wondered if they are made out of powdered steel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 193 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I would not be surprised at all, now that you mention it. They are prime parts candidates to be made by that process.
post #123 of 193 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:08 AM

one issue with a lot of cranking to start a carbed set up is if your using a mechanical pump or electric. The dual quad set up uses a electric pump usually just turn the key and wait a bit as the fuel fills the bowels noted by some clicking like sounds and fires up. this is after sitting for a week or months.
My dualy uses doth electric in the tanks and mechanical pump. it has to be cranked a bit after sitting for some time.
77 tbird mechanical needs a lot of cranking to start after sitting for weeks or more.
BTW none of these vehicles have a choke working the quads dont even have choke horns anymore

thought about a dual efi set up instead of dual carbs but the dont make 4 bbl versions the size i woud consider would have had to go dual 2 bbl.. 3 2 bbl set up might have considered as i have seen that done but even then it was on a BB as 2 bbl ones could be a bit large for a SB which might work best with 3 1bbls.

post #124 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:03 PM

OK...looking for advice here. My local Holley authorized shop is pushing the Terminator over the Sniper. He said he has had multiple Sniper owners switch up to the Terminator and went on to say the Terminator was much easier to tune, etc. He went on to say the Sniper was best for "stock" type engines (which mine is not, but a N/A 357W under 500hp isn't exactly "custom").

The other local hotrod shop was pushing FiTech but estimated $2k in labor for installation. So I'm looking at other options.

Am I getting upsold? I want to do this once/right and don't expect to use forced induction/NO2 in the future, but I don't want to waste $1k on a terminator when I could use that money elsewhere.
post #125 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
Am I getting upsold? I want to do this once/right and don't expect to use forced induction/NO2 in the future, but I don't want to waste $1k on a terminator when I could use that money elsewhere.
It sounds suspicious doesn't it. I would ask for specifics- what did these customers need the Sniper to do that it wouldn't? The terminator does have more versatility, and it should for $1k more. If you can nail down what the issues were, I'll bet that Holley tech has a work-around for the Sniper.

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #126 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
Quote:
OK...looking for advice here. My local Holley authorized shop is pushing the Terminator over the Sniper. He said he has had multiple Sniper owners switch up to the Terminator and went on to say the Terminator was much easier to tune, etc. He went on to say the Sniper was best for "stock" type engines (which mine is not, but a N/A 357W under 500hp isn't exactly "custom").

The other local hotrod shop was pushing FiTech but estimated $2k in labor for installation. So I'm looking at other options.

So I am going to go ahead say that are trying to 100% screw you.

Sniper vs. FiTech - well that's a coin toss- but the Terminator is a way more serious set-up and really not needed for the vast majority of us. Don't waste your money.

$2k for install? GTFO these things are 4 - 6 wires hook ups, you need one hole drilled in your exhaust for o2 sensor, and fuel pump and lines. I don't think I had 8 total hours in it doing it all myself.

here is what I did and spent

FiTech - I paid $799 (was the $999 model, had $100 rebate plus 10% summit code)
Spectra EFI 20g fuel tank, pump and sending unit ~$320 (from Rockauto w/5% off code) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...132489&jsn=442
Fuel lines & fittings about $150 or so:
Used my original 5/16 hard line for return
bought a new 3/8 hard line for send
Cut both at the firewall and ran braided lines up to FiTech
Total ~$1,200
Done.
GearHeadPeter and schweigert like this.

ET: [email protected] mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #127 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 Driver View Post
It sounds suspicious doesn't it. I would ask for specifics- what did these customers need the Sniper to do that it wouldn't? The terminator does have more versatility, and it should for $1k more. If you can nail down what the issues were, I'll bet that Holley tech has a work-around for the Sniper.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Outside of the idle adjustment for A/C, a N/A engine is pretty straightforward. I thought I remembered reading that the tuning software was the same for both units, but the terminator has the additional capabilities to accommodate nitrous, blowers, etc. Most of the posts I read here love their Snipers, but the Holley Sniper FB page seems to have just as many people having issues with thiers (mostly because of O2 sensors going out pre-maturely).
post #128 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolblue65 View Post
$2k for install? GTFO these things are 4 - 6 wires hook ups, you need one hole drilled in your exhaust for o2 sensor, and fuel pump and lines. I don't think I had 8 total hours in it doing it all myself.
Yeah, that is what really raised red flags. Maybe I misunderstood the guy, but I was expecting $2-2500 all in, with a tanks inc and other small upgrades.
post #129 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM

I caught a fairly recent episode of Iron Resurrection on Velocity, and they did a dual FiTech setup on a 409. With all the problems guys have reported getting one FiTech to run, I thought two sounded crazy. They didn't talk about it at all, just showed it as they panned over the motor.

Scott Miller. Caregiver to a couple 60's Mustangs, a 66 T-bird, some race cars, a handful of motorcycles and a few mundane appliances.
post #130 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Welp, I may regret not going "all out" but the Sniper is on order along with their Dizzy and fuel tank. More to follow!
MUSTANG65FBK and JasonT1124 like this.
post #131 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 PM

I had the sniper on, wired, plumbed and running in 2hrs.

My 420hp 331 stroker loves it.

Anyone that has issues with either the Fitech or Sniper, is usually a wiring screw up(they didn't read the directions) or pre existing problem. Follow the instructions to a Tee. Make good connections. Should be straightforward.

Some people run a relay off the ignition switch for the sniper key signal. Some, like myself just add a wire.
coolblue65 likes this.
post #132 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Welp, I may regret not going "all out" but the Sniper is on order along with their Dizzy and fuel tank. More to follow!
Let us know how it works out for you. I'm planning on getting one as well. I think the Terminator is way overkill and that the shop just wanted to upsell you on it. The Sniper says it will go up to what... 650hp? I think that will work for 95% of applications on here and if not, they make a bigger version that handles up to like 1500hp for slightly more money. I definitely think the shop guy was trying to get some more money out of you, I'd do the Sniper on your own as I hear it's only like 4 wires that you have to route and hook up as well as fuel lines for your gas tank and a few other minor things? Looks incredibly easy to install.
Wsmatau likes this.

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK; 10-19-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #133 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You won't! That shop was trying to push their overstock Terminator models on you, since everybody was buying the sniper while the Terminator sits on the shelf.

I bought the Terminator when it first came out as the Sniper had not been invented yet. Great product, worked flawlessly on my 500 hp 383 Stroker. I probably didn't use half of the functions.

I now have the Sniper on another vehicle with a Keith Craft 600 hp 427...works just as flawlessly as the Terminator and ran in "closed loop" from the first turn of the key on the Street setting.

What you have is nowhere near too wild for the Sniper to handle!

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker

Last edited by donkeykong; 10-22-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #134 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
It goes straight to closed loop without any oxygen sensor feedback? Weird.
post #135 of 193 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
It goes straight to closed loop without any oxygen sensor feedback? Weird.
Don't know what the point of the smart comment is...we both know the temperature has to reach 160* for it to enter "closed loop". So no, not "weird", just you trying to prove some meaningless point when that wasn't the intent of what I was posting.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page