Wilwood 6 Piston Big Brake swap complete! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wilwood 6 Piston Big Brake swap complete!

Thought I would do a quick write up for anyone considering this brake kit

My previous brake setup consisted of Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 11" diameter and .810" thick solid faced rotors. I was also using EBC Yellow Stuff pads (GREAT pads but man they created a lot of dust)

This new Wilwood kit consists of 6 piston calipers with a 12.88" and 1.10" thick slotted rotors. Wilwood recommends at least a 17" sized wheel for these brakes

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w.../model/mustang

The rear brake kit remained the same, an SSBC single piston disc kit. The master cylinder also remained the same, a '74 maverick 15/16th bore.

After unboxing, one thing immediately stuck out: everything on this kit is MASSIVE. With that being said, they are also considerably heavier than the kit that came off. I wish I had weighed the previous kit to see how much more the new kit weighs; even a few pounds of rotational mass makes a big difference.

Assembly was fairly straight forward, however the instructions tell you to install the rotor hub before putting on all the caliper mounting brackets. The caliper bracket consists of three pieces, a plate that bolts to the spindle, a spacer, and the caliper bracket itself.

There is no way of installing the bolts for the rest of the caliper bracket components once the hub is installed, so you need to get all of that bolted up BEFORE the rotor hub goes on.

The instructions say to use red Loctite on the rotor hat bolts with an option to add safety wire as well. I chose to just use the Loctite as I never had any problems with these bolts coming loose with any of the other Wilwood kits I've assembled.

**edit: none of the other Wilwood kits I've installed had bolts with provisions for safety wire either (Thought I should mention this)

You'll notice bright paint dabs on every bolt, this is so I can visually see if any bolt has budged

The other side went much smoother as I already knew how many shims to use (or not use in my case) along with how the kit went together.

Pardon the mess

I also ended up swapping the front brake hoses to Wilwood's braided stainless kit.

First impressions after driving? Kinda hard to remember, my head flew into the windshield

The bite on this new brake kit is absolutely mental, hands down the best stopping car I've driven now. Other occupants in the car were upset they did not have anything to hold onto during braking (They were not given a warning either)

So, to answer the age old question, YES: bigger IS better with brakes.
Huskinhano, Ponyboy, Brent and 3 others like this.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

Last edited by happystang; 02-09-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 PM

I would definitely safety wire them. I've read of quite a few coming undone, even in just normal driving. Not worth the risk. Also, I don't remember the instructions saying it was an option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8 comp
460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"10", 19"x12" 325/30
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
I would definitely safety wire them. I've read of quite a few coming undone, even in just normal driving. Not worth the risk. Also, I don't remember the instructions saying it was an option.

Just looked back at the instructions, "...for an added measure of security, the bolts may be safety wired using standard .032 inch diameter stainless steel safety wire as shown in Figure 4" (Wilwood)

A little vague on Wilwood's end IMO. I'll pick up some safety wire pliers tomorrow and get to work. Thank you for the heads up.

www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Just looked back at the instructions, "...for an added measure of security, the bolts may be safety wired using standard .032 inch diameter stainless steel safety wire as shown in Figure 4" (Wilwood)

A little vague on Wilwood's end IMO. I'll pick up some safety wire pliers tomorrow and get to work. Thank you for the heads up.
I found the rear brakes to be much harder to do since they are more cramped for space.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"10", 19"x12" 325/30
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 PM

I plan to do the 12.19" rotor 6 piston Wilwood kit on the front of my 65 FB sometime. How is the pedal travel with the 15/16 MC? Which pads did you get? Mike Maier suggested the 1" bore MC and the BP-20 pads when I spoke to him a while back.
Fishfreq likes this.

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM

Garage
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 AM

Garage
You just have small hands, Armon.
Kelly_H likes this.

1967 Mustang w/ 302 4bbl - Build Thread
1967 Galaxie Wagon w/ 289 2bbl
1972 Honda CL350 - Parked since 1978 in a barn.
1976 Triumph Bonneville

Currently an Automotive Restoration Student at McPherson College.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 AM

Looks nice do you have a pic with the wheel on the car?

2016 Ford Taurus
1965 Mustang Fastback 302 | Letter Cam | AFR165 | RPM Air Gap | CSU Carbs 750 | Novi 1200SL (7-8psi)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

You must have 17 wheels?
How did you wind up picking Wilwood vs any of the others? Id be asking regardless of who you picked.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
You must have 17 wheels?
How did you wind up picking Wilwood vs any of the others? Id be asking regardless of who you picked.
I used the 6 piston Wilwoods on my Cobra. The Wilwoods are usually cheaper than Baer or Brembo.
Israel likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkfrd View Post
I plan to do the 12.19" rotor 6 piston Wilwood kit on the front of my 65 FB sometime. How is the pedal travel with the 15/16 MC? Which pads did you get? Mike Maier suggested the 1" bore MC and the BP-20 pads when I spoke to him a while back.
The pedal travel seems spot on, the 15/16th MC seems better suited for the larger displacement of the 6 piston kit than the 4 piston. I had a little more pedal travel than I wanted before.

I'm using the stock BP-10 pads that came with the kit, so far so good. I've used Wilwood's Polymatrix E compound on another kit. They work great, but are noisy.

I'll more than likely try the BP-20 pads next time around, the EBC Yellowstuff pads made a lot of dust and were VERY harsh on the rotors. (But it stopped the car in a hurry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have two builds in progress running the same size kit up front. Do you have a power or a manual brake master cylinder?

Manual 4 wheel discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
You just have small hands, Armon.
LOOOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nba1341 View Post
Looks nice do you have a pic with the wheel on the car?
I'll take some today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
You must have 17 wheels?
Yes, 17x8" wheels. I've used Wilwood kits in the past and I was always very impressed with their quality, so I was naturally leaning towards them. Brembo doesn't make a kit for a '69 (at least not that I could find) and Baer brakes were ridiculously expensive. I also wanted a kit with slotted rotors, NOT drilled as I've heard too many horror stories of them cracking. That criteria alone eliminated some of Wilwood's other kits because they only offer solid faced or drilled/slotted rotors.

It was down between the Wilwood brakes and the Street or Track 4 piston brakes. I ultimately went with the Wilwood because I was able to get them at a lower price and I've used their kits on other builds.

However, I have driven a '69 mustang with Shaun's SoT brakes and I can confidently say that they're VERY nice pieces. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if anyone was deciding between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I used the 6 piston Wilwoods on my Cobra. The Wilwoods are usually cheaper than Baer or Brembo.
The equivalant Baer kit is not cheap, lol.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b.../model/mustang
Israel likes this.

www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
View with the wheels:

Huskinhano, Ponyboy, zray and 3 others like this.

www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 PM

Nice! I'm looking at different kits out there an deciding on the 12" or 12.8". I'm thinking of the 12 with the 6 piston and good pads as this car will see some track days
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub4u View Post
Nice! I'm looking at different kits out there an deciding on the 12" or 12.8". I'm thinking of the 12 with the 6 piston and good pads as this car will see some track days
I would seriously consider the larger rotor. Not only is it physically larger in diameter, but it is MUCH thicker. That will make a massive difference in heat dissipation if you're considering doing some track days.

I too was trying to decide between the two, but a good friend of mine who autocrosses regularly convinced me to go for the larger brakes.

www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
I would seriously consider the larger rotor. Not only is it physically larger in diameter, but it is MUCH thicker. That will make a massive difference in heat dissipation if you're considering doing some track days.

I too was trying to decide between the two, but a good friend of mine who autocrosses regularly convinced me to go for the larger brakes.
+1

Put some large pin '70 drum brake spindles on there and get the 14" 6 piston kit. I did, they look good IMO. Wilwood recommends an 18" wheel, but I think you can fit them under most 17" wheels too depending on the wheel specs.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page