Convertible to Fastback Conversion ... Blasphemy? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_jackson View Post
I've been tossing around the idea once I finish my fastback of taking a 67 Convertible car that I bought for parts which is totally rotted, sagging etc. and doing a Fastback conversion on it. I know there are purists that will say don't do it! But I have almost nothing in the car and not really that big into convertibles, so the thought has crossed my mind to do a nice fastback conversion and modern motor etc and do a really nice daily driver. So what do you guys think?
I find that very interesting, I think that is a great idea. Go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 AM

I'm gonna get flamed for this...... But I like Coupes and Verts much better than most fast backs. And yes, fastbacks are worth more than coupes, a fake fastback converted from a coupe isnt going to be worth much more than the coupe it started life as, and not going to be worth the hassle.

My $.02
Israel likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda68 View Post
While I think you would be well ahead by buying a nice good coupe shell, as they sell much cheaper, at least with the convert you can sell all the good convert parts and would have the good convert floor structure that I just put into my FB. I got convert floors, convert rails, convert pan...etc. in it. Much stiffer.
At the risk of getting side tracked....that really looks good and occasionally I wish I had installed the convert rails myself in my FB.....BUT.....do you foresee any limitations in seat selection? I have heard that the vert rails limit width available if you go with late model seats.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads67coupe View Post
I'm gonna get flamed for this...... But I like Coupes and Verts much better than most fast backs. And yes, fastbacks are worth more than coupes, a fake fastback converted from a coupe isnt going to be worth much more than the coupe it started life as, and not going to be worth the hassle.

My $.02
Ya this is side tracking. I selectively agree.

To my eye the 65/66 looks like an afterthought. The 65/66 coup and vert were styled to be coupe or vert. Follow the window shape and the side depression on the quarter panels, it mirrors the coupe/vert contour.

It has nothing to do with value.

The 67/68 again to my eye the fastback looks like it was part of the styling thinking all along.

69/70 again to my eye were styled to be sportroof/fastback. The coupe and vert were included but not seeming important!

As for converting vert to fastback. I'll be a hugh/difficult project but why not? It's your time and money. IMO you'll play hell finding a buyer if/when you sell.

Many radical customs are mony and time down the toilet.Hey for most it's a fun hobby.

Do it, have fun!

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Hey Huntingly...

In the process of cutting out the FB floors and seeing what replacement parts we needed to order we realized a rocker needed some work so why not install convert rockers for safe measure and the floors etc? I got the idea from Street or Track here. Fox seats fit fine but there is not a lot of room.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Install...5-68-p-14.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallframerust 2.jpg (56.9 KB, 25 views)
Huntingky likes this.

Current rides: 2016 Jeep Rubicon 4dr. HardRock, 2007 Jeep SRT8, 67 Mustang FB, 68 Barracuda Conv.

Past rides: 2005 Ram SRT10, 65 Mustang FB, 68 Impala SS, 69 Chevelle, 71 Chevelle, 67 Corvair Mid engine, Cobra kit car
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 PM

Rotted.

Sagging.

This screams scrap it, sell the parts that have any value, and if you want to play, buy a $500 Non Rotted Non Sagging coupe and convert it.

Any money you save on working with a car you already have will be blown away in a second on fixing the structural mess.

Run Forest Run
Israel and Huntingky like this.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 AM

I know that this is kind of off topic but here is my advice. A rusty, rotted car is a bit money pit. You are going to end up with a lot of time and labor and $$$ trying to bring it back from the dead. I would say that at least 50% of the time they never get finished because it is such a big project. And 90% of the time you are WAY upside down in it and you would have been much better off with a car in better condition.

I restored a rotted convertible only because it was an original 428 Cobra Jet car. Replaced pretty much every piece. This is a task beyond the backyard mechanic because you really, really have to know what you are doing to end up with a straight car where everything lines up. For example, when he put the floorpan and rockers in the door gap was noticeably wide at the top. I pointed that out and he said that once we got everything else on the car the weight would pull the body down and close the gap. He was right. And that expertise does not come cheap. I ended up with $20K in just the paint and body.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RCodeVert View Post
... For example, when he put the floorpan and rockers in the door gap was noticeably wide at the top. I pointed that out and he said that once we got everything else on the car the weight would pull the body down and close the gap. He was right. And that expertise does not come cheap. I ended up with $20K in just the paint and body.
I'm curious to ask this. When 4 adults sit in the convertible, will that bring the door & jamb even closer? That's about 800 lbs, give or take a few. I've never thought of this until now. Just wondering.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your input. I think I'm going to sell the vert and maybe someday look for another fastback or coupe, or more than likely just put some extra goodies into my fastback. Thanks again!
Israel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page