Drive the '69 Mach1 for first time since November - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By THE EVIL TW1N
  • 1 Post By Viperpete

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Drive the '69 Mach1 for first time since November

I've been in the middle of winter upgrades, I shut the car down in late November and have been wrenching on it since then. I upgraded with the following:

*1970 drum brake spindle

*TCP Manual Rack and Pinion

*Baer bumpsteer trackers

*TCP complete front single adjustable coilover suspension (500lb springs)

*TCP 1-1/8" front sway bar

*TCP Panhard Bar and adjustable rear sway bar

*Maier Racing rear leaf springs

*Bilstein rear shocks

*1-1/2" lowering blocks

*Upgraded Wilwood Master Cylinder from 7/8" to 1" bore

*TCP Monte Carlo bar and shock tower braces

*Global West outer shock tower braces

I also did other stuff such as projector headlights, adjusted the hydraulic clutch, removed front parking lights, shimmed the rear end 1.5*, cut some metal that had scraped the rear tires on bumps.

Felt good to drive it again, the rack and pinion was back ordered for about 1 month, and the front suspension system for about 2.5 months. Nearly none of the install went together without a hiccup, but that's always expected. Always a problem that needs to be tackled.

I did my own alignment (2.8* caster, -1.0* camber, 3/16" toe in), and the car drove great. I drove straight to Maier Racing and dropped the car off, they'll have it about 1 week or so as they make new molds for their front fender flares on it.

I was very impressed and happy on the drive. The car never scraped or bottomed out (I only have 1.6" - 1.75" ground clearance due to my 3" exhaust and the engine being lowered). VERY happy on that.

Once I get the car back from Maier, I'll have to take measurements and then order my new wheels and tires. Another positive now that the car is moving again, I can finally put my Christmas tree and ornaments away!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8 comp
460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"◊10", 19"x12" 325/30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
That's a great picture. Glad its moving forward!
THE EVIL TW1N likes this.

2013 Viper GTS 1/2 mile best of 157.99mph 8.4L V10 @ 600whp
2005 Ram SRT10 with T56 Conversion and many other mods
2005 Mustang GT 5 speed- wife's daily
2016 Nissan Maxima SR - wife's other daily
1973 Lincoln Mark IV- triple black
1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:41 PM

Looking tough ET... bet it feels even better!... and I'll bet there are a few of us here who know that feeling. Best thing I've ever heard was from my youngest son:
"You think there's anything I can't do? My Dad built a car... and we drive around in it. There's nothing I can't do!"
I'll shut up now. I have more stories, but I'll start to sound like the ramblin' ol' guy that I truly am... (don't tell no one).

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieThe69Kid View Post
Looking tough ET... bet it feels even better!... and I'll bet there are a few of us here who know that feeling. Best thing I've ever heard was from my youngest son:
"You think there's anything I can't do? My Dad built a car... and we drive around in it. There's nothing I can't do!"
I'll shut up now. I have more stories, but I'll start to sound like the ramblin' ol' guy that I truly am... (don't tell no one).
I tackled a big project a year ago when I did the C4 to T56 Magnum conversion, and big Wilwood brakes. It can be boring just working on it alone, the project's seem to drag on forever to where it starts feeling like the car has always just been in pieces. But it sure feels good when it finally gets back to roadworthy.

I don't post many threads on here, I was just feeling a sense of accomplishment after finally getting this car back on the road and thought I'd share.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"◊10", 19"x12" 325/30
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 AM
rpm

Kudos ET. Heck, I feel good about completing small projects, all of yours were big by them self. Those bump steer kits are absolutely needed on a lowered mustang. Car looks great, bet you had many acknowledgements from other drivers.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Kudos ET. Heck, I feel good about completing small projects, all of yours were big by them self. Those bump steer kits are absolutely needed on a lowered mustang. Car looks great, bet you had many acknowledgements from other drivers.
I just installed all of the washers the bumpsteer kit came with since everyone online said they had to also in order to correct it the effects. I also bought an additional spacer in the event I need to add more since there is room for about another 1/4" - 3/8" of spacers. Everything felt fine on my short drive, I'll have some testing to do in the next few weeks.

Thanks on the compliments. It ain't no SEMA show car, it has it's flaws, but the car gets a lot of looks and thumbs up when I drive it.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Congrats on getting her back on the road! I hear you about being lonely while working on a car in pieces seemingly endlessly. My car has been in pieces since 2011.

Can you tell me about the "projector headlights"? I'm looking for nice headlights for my 1970 Mach 1.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM

I know you don't have much seat time....but how is manual steer car with bigger front rubber and a 351w?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Congrats on getting her back on the road! I hear you about being lonely while working on a car in pieces seemingly endlessly. My car has been in pieces since 2011.

Can you tell me about the "projector headlights"? I'm looking for nice headlights for my 1970 Mach 1.
I installed projector headlights designed for a late 80's/early 90's BMW M3. It took quite a bit of cutting to get them to fit, but they look pretty good. I wanted projectors since I'm running HID's

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTguy View Post
I know you don't have much seat time....but how is manual steer car with bigger front rubber and a 351w?
It's not bad at all IMO. I will be going wider soon (265's or 275's), we'll see how that goes. I expect it to be manageable. It helps that this R&P has a quicker ratio too than the stock unit.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTguy View Post
The way I understand it, wider tires makes more rubber on the road, which makes less weight displacement per square inch of said amount of rubber on the road, which should make it easier to steer... or at least easier to turn the wheel.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Looking Good!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/signaturepics/sigpic30626_12.gif
1969 S Code Mach 1
445 FE Stroker
TKO 600
Street or Track Suspension
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 PM

Car looks so sweet! I am hoping you and others could give some advice for my 69 Mach 1. I am trying to decide on suspension and would like to know why you didn't put the TCP coilover (4 link) in the rear? I am trying to decide between front/rear Ridetech with the HQ coilovers or TCP. I like the fact that TCP provides 3 different install options on the rear bracket to adjust height before making any coilover adjustment. I don't want my car to sit too low which is why I am asking about your choice of rear suspension. I really like the lowered stance of your car I guess because it's not overly low like some and still has a little rake. So any advice why you chose TCP over others and why you kept leaf springs would be awesome.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
Car looks so sweet! I am hoping you and others could give some advice for my 69 Mach 1. I am trying to decide on suspension and would like to know why you didn't put the TCP coilover (4 link) in the rear? I am trying to decide between front/rear Ridetech with the HQ coilovers or TCP. I like the fact that TCP provides 3 different install options on the rear bracket to adjust height before making any coilover adjustment. I don't want my car to sit too low which is why I am asking about your choice of rear suspension. I really like the lowered stance of your car I guess because it's not overly low like some and still has a little rake. So any advice why you chose TCP over others and why you kept leaf springs would be awesome.
I really thought about getting a 3 or 4 link, but I just wasn't sure if I'd really utilize it's fill benefits. I do want to autocross and MAYBE road race it, but I don't believe anything really competitive. I'd love to, but just don't have the time.

I am very happy with the results of the panhard bar, sway bar, Maier rear leafs, and Bilstein shocks. No wheel hop at all. Only downsides was the welding of the brackets for the panhard rod wasn't exactly super simple, and the total cost wasn't a whole lot cheaper. If I could do it again, I would seriously still consider a 3 or 4 link. I don't know if it would realistically handle any better tho.

I dont plan on ever running any slicks on the car, only something in the 200 or higher treadwear rated summer tires. I recently put on some fat fender flares and ordered some custom Forgeline wheels. I'll be running 275 front (18x10), and 325 rear (19x12) tires, so should be even more fun to drive.

460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page