Vintage Mustang Forums banner

SACMustang closed (Sacramento)

14K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  J_Speegle 
#1 ·
Recently discovered SAC Mustang on Auburn blvd closed. Wow, I thought these guys had a foothold on the sacramento market, guess not. Can anyone local provide some insight as to what the heck happened? I'm betting like everything Sacramento, the landlord jacked up the lease cost and they couldn't support it.

Personally, I highly recommend American Mustang https://www.american-mustang.com for parts and service if you need an alternative.

#2 · (Edited)
Not surprised. If it wasn't rent increasing, it would be customer
service or lack thereof. In truth, it had been years since I had
seen or heard anything about them. They were a jobber when
I was at Global. The General Manager there left (he had been
there awhile) and went to work for Iron Mountain I think. He
was a major force at Sac Mustang..... did not bode well for
them when he left. I should mention that I did ask him why he
left at the time and he said that he had basically had enough.
Come to think of it, I doubt a rent increase had anything to
do with Sac Mustang's demise, the owner came from a realty
background (and I believe is back in that business now); I'm
thinking he may have owned the building and land.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Fishfreq
#7 ·
I think it is a sign of the times. I live near Sacramento and have never been to a brick and mortar Mustang "store". With the internet and forums like VMF, it is just too easy to research and buy online. NPD and CJPP are crushing these "little" guys (I am not saying that is bad, just reality).

Same thing with Amazon and everyone else.

#8 ·
Sacramento Mustang out of business

@groho yea that was a couple months ago Sac Mustang had a big going outta business sale, everything was pretty much 50% off, sometimes more. Wasn't posted on their Facebook, nothing, luckily a mustang friend told me about it or else I'd have missed out too. The owner said they were basically retiring. Online competition also was a factor mentioned, but not lease rates.

They let us gather up a pile of parts on the counter, they'd look it over and give you a number. I spent two days there picking thru their entire inventory, got all sorts of parts I needed for my '68 coupe build. Great deals but sad to see an icon go away.

#21 ·
We started Mustangs Plus many years ago. Through the decades it has seen different focuses (we parted after the first year as friends) but they developed a number of parts lines themselves early in the business and focused on mostly modifying parts in general since the 90's. The shop is not longer owned by the family/company, but still is located on the same property as well as a smog shop and a graphics business they lease buildings too.

#10 ·
When I joined the Vintage Mustang hobby 18 years ago, the prior owner handed me a current Sacto Mustang Catalog. When it came time place an order for several parts, I figured, what the heck.
Unfortunately they screwed up with the delivery big time. Despite me paying for my order with a credit card, they sent my order COD (which by the shipping policy on their website was not an option) and that I had to sign for the delivery. I have better things to do than cool my heels all day waiting for a delivery. When I called them, they denied having sent my order COD or that my signature was required for delivery. I suggested that they contact their shipper and sort it out. They responded by telling me that once it leaves their warehouse, it is out of their hands. I told them to cancel the order, I demanded a full refund, and was refusing the delivery. They didn't seem concerned about pissing off a new customer. That covers my "experience" with the now former Sacto Mustang. I do know that what goes around comes around.

#11 ·
It was sad to see them go. I was on their email list and was shocked to find out they were closing. Same thing was said to me...."internet just too hard to compete with". I've spent a ton of money with them over the years. They used to have a decent open house/car show too. Actually have a few trophies from them too. Sorry to see them go.

#12 ·
I'm not surprised, and would expect that most of the current brick and mortar Mustang parts vendors will be gone soon. With the exception of a few that concentrate on internet sales, most are very poorly managed. Most have no idea how to effectively purchase merchandise. CSRP has been able to reach only a single full service Mustang parts dealer (who does very well selling our product). The remainder prefer the "cost plus" way of doing business, buying from a jobber of a few well advertised brands at high prices. They seem unconcerned by the high prices, perhaps because under the cost plus system of buying and selling, a higher cost means a higher plus! Unfortunately for them, they can't compete.

#14 ·
brick and mortar Mustang parts vendors will be gone soon...

I'm not surprised, and would expect that most of the current brick and mortar Mustang parts vendors will be gone soon...

...Unfortunately for them, they can't compete.
I've tried going to as many brick and mortar Mustang stores as possible, and I always try to buy something from them, try to use them first, to save the little guys, but you're right @degins, it's a losing battle. With the speed of shipping, large selection, easy returns and exchanges, the big online stores are winning the battle. Sad but true. Evolution...

#13 ·
SAC Mustang announced like 2 months ago via e-mail to customers that they were closing. I know, I got the e-mail..

They sent me this e-mail below on February 19th, 2018:

LOTS OF INVENTORY LEFT! GOING FAST!
WE WILL BE OPEN SATURDAY TO CLEAR OUT EVERYTHING!!! 9AM-3PM!!!

WE ARE OPEN TODAY! 10AM - 5PM !! EVERYTHING IS 50% OFF OR MORE!!
WE NEED IT ALL GONE!

SACRAMENTO MUSTANG
4631 AUBURN BLVD
SACRAMENTO, CA 95841
Sacramento Mustang | 4631 Auburn Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95841
Unsubscribe nefaurora@aol.com
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by dennis@sacramento-mustang.com in collaboration with

:eek:)

Tony K.

#15 ·
I bought an Blue Oval Products '66 Low Profile Rally-pac from them in like 2013. They were pretty good and I had no issues...No complaints, but It was the ONLY thing that I ever bought from them albeit expesive...

:eek:)

Tony K.

#16 ·
I first bought from Sac Mustang when Randy worked out of a small shop in the early 80's . I usually deal with Andy and Karen at American Mustang as I have known them for over 25 years and they are very knowledgeable and honest.

#17 ·
As a rookie to the mustang market, when I first started looking for parts about a year or so ago, I came across J & K Mustang. One of the owners (Kern) helped me out a lot. When I went back again for another purchase, I found out he had died and his wife was trying to run the business. I had to give up on them as she really wasn't knowledgeable. Switched to Sac Mustang but just didn't get a good vibe. Since then, I've bought from American Mustang. I've seen on Craigslist a post by one of the guys that worked at J & K is setting up shop in Roseville but haven't ventured over there. I do buy most of my parts on the internet.

#18 ·
I would love it if they had a decent mustang parts store close to where I live but unfortunately the closest one to me is about 45-60 minutes away and that’s without any traffic. The other issue with that place in particular is that the owner, or whoever the employee is that’s always there, is usually in a bad mood, they also don’t price match or have competitive pricing and they only have, I believe, a 7 day return policy as well as it says they can charge you I think a 15% restocking fee.

I know the brick and mortar stores typically can’t have the lowest prices but when their prices are considerably higher, plus tax, long drive to them and only a week return policy with a possible restocking fee? Yeah I’ll go elsewhere. Also, with it being such a small store, they generally don’t have a ton of items in stock but they too have to order them. So I guess what’s the point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.