Disc Brake Conversion advice - Vintage Mustang Forums
 17Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Disc Brake Conversion advice

Hello,

I know there are a lot of threads about disc brake conversion for a 66 Mustang, but some are dated and the most recent ones aren't providing me with the advice I am seeking.

I have recently purchased a 66 Mustang, 289, auto, which is mostly stock. I have been informed that I should change the single master brake cylinder to a dual master cylinder for safety. It is a daily driver. The only modification I have made so far has been installing a Weiand Street Warrior intake manifold and a 4 barrel 500cfm carburetor (both from Summit Racing).

I have a few questions:
1. What do I need in order to do this?
2. Should I also change to front disc brakes at the same time? Or will a dual master cylinder for drum/drum be able to be used for disc/drum when I upgrade at a later stage?
3. What kit should I be looking at for this?
4. Do I also need to modify or replace the export brace to fit a dual master cylinder (or is this only required if I opt for power brakes? I am a fit mid-40s military member, so don't really have any issues pushing a pedal down with my leg, so not sure if this is required).
4. Is this something I can do with my limited experience or should I be taking the parts to a professional (I am a keen amateur with access to a workshop at the MWR on the local military base; but have 4 kids on a single income so need to balance safety and being frugal - I like working on the car myself, as I think that makes it more of 'my' project and I learn more about the car while doing it).

I have so far looked at Summit Racing's brand, CSRP, Leed Brakes, Master Power Brakes's Legend Series, and CJPonyParts's offerings.

Grateful for any advice before I start shopping for parts.

Cheers,

Rui

1966 Coupe, 289 C code, auto
- mostly stock except: Weiand Street Warrior intake manifold; Summit Racing 4 barrel 500cfm carburetor
- absolute amateur - willing to learn and work hard

Last edited by rui-1975; 04-06-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added some info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Thumbs Up Disc swaps

You're going to get a lot of ideas, suggestions and guidance on this, but as someone that oversaw a few hundred swaps in the early 90's, there is an inexpensive alternative over "kits". That was when a Granada swap was about 1/4 of Stainless Steel Brakes kit and most others weren't even around. Prices have come down, but when you remove the "bling" aspect, maintenance years from now will be the major concern. I drive mine a LOT! I did the 68 disc swap into my 64 and have around 350,000 miles on them. Small bearing, same tie rods, and best part- ALL Ford or local parts house parts. Nothing "specialty" here, no adapters, re-engineering or expensive replacement parts. Bolt on- but 68/69 disc brake parts and you're done. 75 Maverick master cylinder, proportioning valve, splitter for lines (67 and up will do), and plumb it in. 20 years from now, it's still the same parts for a 68/69 disc brake set-up. Now, they even repro the shields we had to scrounge to find! $400-500 should cover everything. I've even seen complete set-ups here for a little less- just bolt on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03642.jpg (97.6 KB, 22 views)
rui-1975 likes this.

64 9/10 Convertible- 400,000 miles & counting (2nd owner)- Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014 Pony Drive Pace Car
57 Thunderbird- E-Bird 312 w/ 2 4bbl carbs. 3 speed w/ O/D
65 GT Convertible
65 K GT Fastback- 60,000 original miles
Original 65 pedal car
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014
69 Grande'- 1 of 11 on colors- 1 of 1 w/ options
2016 GT convertible w/ CDC Outlaw #13 package- delivered 10/27.
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
2000 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 AM

I just spent a week wrestling with this question too. We have almost identical cars. I really, really looked for a way to go with something other than the KH brakes. But after exhausting research, I decided that it was the best bet for me. As @PonyDoc pointed out, there is something to be said for sticking with OEM if you can. Most of the KH kit uses off the shelf, Ford parts. It's just easy to come by. If I had more time to tinker with different setups, I would have. But really, this seems like the best bet, both in reliability and efficiency. And I bough mine from CSRP if that matters. I hope to finish the install this weekend.
rui-1975 likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 AM

Was your Mustang originally a V8 car or was the 6-cyl already swapped by a previous owner? Or more specifically, do you have 4-lug wheels on the front and/or rear? If you do have 4-lug, then this will complicate your brake swap. If you have 5-lug, then it should mean you won't need to change your spindles.

Regarding your master cylinder question, a drum/drum master cylinder has the same size fluid reservoir for front and rear while a disc/drum master cylinder has a larger reservoir for the front brakes. I will be corrected here if I'm telling you wrong.
rui-1975 likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

I suggest contacting John @ opentracker racing products.

He has a complete kit for your car, priced at the lowest cost I've seen, but all quality components. All of the products he sells are superbly engineered and constructed.

Vintage Mustang Suspension and Steering Friction Free Roller Bearing Performance - Opentracker Racing Products

Ford Kelsey-Hayes Type 4 Piston Caliper Manual Disc Brake Kit V8 - Manual or Power Steering - Manual or Auto Transmission (1965 1966) - Opentracker Racing Products

John has the best customer service of any vendor out there. You can read many many posts here about his company, but not one post has anything negative to say about the way he conducts his business. A record unequaled by any of his competitors.

Z.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Opentracker sells the CSRP kit and he doesn't hide that fact.
zray and Lizer like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM

I had a good experience with the Csrp kit. I had minimal difficulty installing a power kit which Is more involved and probably unnecessary. Good customer support.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rui-1975 likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Disc Brake Conversion advice

+1 on the CSRP kit. A lot of the parts are his own castings or stampings (of the original parts) and it's the most comprehensive kit I've seen. Literally includes everything you need, right down to the loc tite and wheel bearing grease.

The CSRP kit is the kit that Opentracker sells.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
rui-1975 likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Opentracker sells the CSRP kit and he doesn't hide that fact.
Why would he hide that

John sells several items produced elsewhere, when he sees a good deal for his customers he will make the item available on his website whenever possible.

Of course, many of his products are designed and produced in house. The upshot is he has one of the most complete selections for suspension, chassis, and braking upgrades available anywhere. Making his website a great place to shop.

Z

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Just upgraded a 65 fastback to the Kelsey Hayes brakes, it was simple to do, looks amazing and fits like it it made for it.. Oh wait it was!

Best part I just called Chockostang, told him what I wanted and a few days later all the parts showed up. They were perfectly patched for my car and included a new dual Master Cylinder and proportioning valve. Every hose, bearing, and nut and built were included. Chock even includes a DVD filled with pictures of the installation and good instructions.

Years from now when parts are needed there won't be any guessing or concern about finding the right parts.

There may be some cheaper alternatives, but for the service, ease of install and long term support I don't think you'll find a better option.
zray and rui-1975 like this.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 AM

CSRP

Hi there,
I am finishing up the install of a CSRP kit on my 65 Fastback right now. Like others have said it is a complete, well thought out kit. I had to make a small line at the M/C but that was it. All in all I was impressed.

Steve
rui-1975 likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
+1 on CSRP. I used those kits on my '66 coupe and my '69 convertible. Turned out great.

1966 Coupe 289 AT factory A/C PS (I'm the 3rd owner, mine since 1984)
1969 Convertible 302 AT PS
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Garage
+1 for the CSRP kit.
I also wanted to switch to a dual system and yes, the master cylinder for drum/drum is different compared to disc/drum. This is why I decided to replace both at the same time.
The CSRP kit is amazing. Everything fits perfectly and all parts you need are included. I bought it from John (opentracker), because I was already a customer for my front suspension rebuild and had very good experience with him.

Check also if the disc will fit for your wheels. The wheels have a date code between the lugs (e.g. 6M5 or 6ME). 6 means 66, the rest is plant code and month. For the SWAP 1.3 all wheels made between 65 and 72 will fit. But better check with the experts
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Either Chockistang or CSRP. Both are copies or reproduction of the factory brakes. I’m going to say from a appearance point of view Chocostang’s kit is going to look more original. I believe CSRP has their logo on the calipers. Other then that both kits are exactly the same. No matter who you use either Opentracker or Chocostang you will get excellent parts and service. Talk to both. The best thing about these kits, you only need common hand tools and no alignment needed afterwards which is a cost savings there.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Why would he hide that

John sells several items produced elsewhere, when he sees a good deal for his customers he will make the item available on his website whenever possible.

Of course, many of his products are designed and produced in house. The upshot is he has one of the most complete selections for suspension, chassis, and braking upgrades available anywhere. Making his website a great place to shop.

Z
I was attempting to point out the fact that although Opentracker will sell you a very "high end" disc brake kit that he puts together himself, when it comes to a "basic" disc brake kit he simply sells the CSRP kit.
zray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page