Fan - Front versus Rear - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fan - Front versus Rear

I can't for the life of me figure out what side of my new Scott Drake fan goes to the front towards radiator versus to the rear facing the engine.

My stock 5 blade fan (car has A/C) is marked front as shown in the first picture. The new fan is not marked at all.

Second picture is of the stock fan rear side. Pictures three and four are of each side of the new Scott Drake fan.

The car had Contour Fans when I bought it but I wanted to return it to the stock look with a regular fan set-up but thought the Scott Drake "extra cooling" fan might be wise. As the car has a thicker newer aluminum radiator, I bought a 2.25 in spacer as opposed to the stock longer one that the PO had given me along with the stock radiator. If I put the new fan one way, there is not enough clearance. If I put it on the other way, I would have to get the next smaller spacer which is 1.5 inches.

When I put on the stock fan with the front facing front and the shorter 2.25 inch spacer, the clearance is fine.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me out here as to the position of the Scott Drake Fan.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.JPG (33.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.JPG (30.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.JPG (30.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0612.JPG (30.4 KB, 19 views)

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM

The cup always goes the the rear. I have seen cars that overheat uncontrollably, and the only thing wrong was the fan was backward. A common mistake, Mustang Monthly did a detailing article years ago, Detailing a 289 Engine, and they got the fan on backwards:

Embarrassing, yet they never fixed it. I wonder how many people put their fan on wrong because of them.

Here is your fan:

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The cup always goes the the rear. I have seen cars that overheat uncontrollably, and the only thing wrong was the fan was backward. A common mistake, Mustang Monthly did a detailing article years ago, Detailing a 289 Engine, and they got the fan on backwards:

Embarrassing, yet they never fixed it. I wonder how many people put their fan on wrong because of them.

Here is your fan:

Thanks, 22GT. While I was waiting for a reply or two, I realized that the blades on both fans were slight curved. So on the stock fan that had the marking of "front" on it, the blades facing the rear were concave or cupped as you described it. So, now that I know which side of the new fan goes front, my 2.25 inch spacer is too long for it but works great for the stock fan. The next smallest spacer available is 1.5 inches long and that will put the fan back about 1.5 inches. So, for now, I am going to refinish the stock fan and go with that. If things get too hot this summer, I will have the 2.25 inch spacer cut down and put on the scott drake fan.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page