Driving Lights / turn signal LED combos - who's tried them? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwinz
  • 1 Post By gtonavy
  • 1 Post By Nailbender
  • 1 Post By nyjets53
  • 1 Post By xj220
  • 1 Post By xj220

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Driving Lights / turn signal LED combos - who's tried them?

Looking at lighting options to get a little more light and safely. Has anyone seen these or have them on their car?

https://illumin8s.com

They are a combo driving light / turn signal. Pricey for sure but maybe brighter than Vintage LED's version? There is lots of info on 'Vintage LED's' from Gary and I'm leaning that way because of the many good reviews, but just wanted to hear about these illumin8 versions before I dismiss them. Image is attached from their site with one drive light on and one turn signal (sorry its attached twice - don't know how to delete once its attached in the draft). I may be falling for the more $ must be better scenario....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr=w:800,h:500,a:cc.jpg (52.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg illumin8.jpg (18.0 KB, 34 views)
schweigert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Haven't seen those, but I did install these on my car and powered them up for the first time the other day and am really happy with how they work and look.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/led-fron...1973/p/HW3051/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 PM

Hello

I really hate to critique someone else's product. But looking at the video of the camaro, you can see that the white light does not turn off when the amber turn signal is activated.

This is problematic in two ways:
You get a white/amber strobe effect or wig-wag. This could be illegal in some states. Only emergency vehicles can have this function.

By going back and forth from whit to amber, you have reduced the contract between the on and off state of the turn signal. By having a bright background (white light) you have reduced the effective intensity of the turn signal.

Look at how new cars operate their DRLs. If the DRL is integrated in the same assembly as the turn signal, the white DRL will be off while that turn signal is active.

Check out my video. The white LED blank when the turn signals are on. This control circuitry is on the circuit board.

Also the video was shot in broad daylight.

If mine are not bright enough for you, just send them back and I will give you a refund.
Plus mine are only $95.
Daytime Running Lights

Thanks
Gary

green1965 likes this.

1967 CV 289 A Code
1973 450SL
http://www.vintageleds.com/

Last edited by gtonavy; 04-17-2018 at 09:59 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonavy View Post
Hello

I really hate to critique someone else's product. But looking at the video of the camaro, you can see that the white light does not turn off when the amber turn signal is activated.

This is problematic in two ways:
You get a white/amber strobe effect or wig-wag. This could be illegal in some states. Only emergency vehicles can have this function.

By going back and forth from whit to amber, you have reduced the contract between the on and off state of the turn signal. By having a bright background (white light) you have reduced the effective intensity of the turn signal.

Look at how new cars operate their DRLs. If the DRL is integrated in the same assembly as the turn signal, the white DRL will be off while that turn signal is active.

Check out my video. The white LED blank when the turn signals are on. This control circuitry is on the circuit board.

Also the video was shot in broad daylight.

If mine are not bright enough for you, just send them back and I will give you a refund.
Plus mine are only $95.
Daytime Running Lights

Thanks
Gary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci4iDodfUDY
Thanks Gary. I appreciate you responding. I would not have noticed those issues, so again thanks for sharing your knowledge.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 AM

I just drive with my headlights on and upgraded to really nice LED ones. I do like the idea of actual DRLs like modern cars but I don't want to do the wiring, etc.

Defender of 18s!

'66 Coupe - Pro-touring in the making
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
I just drive with my headlights on and upgraded to really nice LED ones. I do like the idea of actual DRLs like modern cars but I don't want to do the wiring, etc.
What LED headlights did you install, and how are they? I thought about putting them in a while ago, but now I think I like the original look better. Still, better Cebes and relays are in the works (but for now my wiring is all new so the voltage is good). As for the wiring for driving lights, Vintage LED's just pop into the same spot as your park lights and do both. See the video Gary posted above.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 AM

With my DRLs, you do not need to change wiring. Just turn on your park lights and you now have DRLs.

Gary

1967 CV 289 A Code
1973 450SL
http://www.vintageleds.com/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:10 PM

These kits are expensive and unnecessary. I just installed some of these; https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-E...witchback&th=1 They work great. Not sure if the xenon white running light looks good on an old car and the amber turn signal has a different color than the old natural amber bulbs. One issue with LEDs is that with the reduced electrical load the flasher will flash fast because it appears to the flasher that the bulb is not functioning. There is an electronic LED flasher available for some vehicles. Not sure if there is one for a Mustang, but there likely is. The LED flasher will flash at the same rate even if a bulb is missing or burned out. If there isn't an LED flasher or you don't want one, you can install load resistors across the circuit; https://www.amazon.com/CUTEQUEEN-TRA...B0C0NNV9AZ9MVS Installing LEDs without the correct flasher or resistors will cause your flasher to hyper flash like it does when a bulb is burned out.

I also installed rear LEDs in my other car, but I can't find an 1157 version for comparison. But rest assured they are bright as Hell. Tail lights work best with red LEDs or they look a bit pink. One issue, in some cars, is the cruise control needs resistance in the rear circuit. So even if the LEDs work with just the LED flasher you might still need resistors for the rear. Not sure about aftermarket cruise controls. The car I installed rear LEDs had a trailer hitch light connection in the trunk. I wired 2 side marker pigtails with 194 lights and plugged it in and I have 2 little lights hanging in the upper corner of the trunk.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM

I have Vintageleds front and rear on my car. They are bright without being gaudy. I considered it a good safety upgrade over dim original setup. Why would I need daytime running lights. If I had concerns about being seen I would just turn on the headlights. Seems like a product in search of a market.
kiwinz likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 PM

I also just installed the vintage leds, rear tail lights and the front driving light combo...

Both work great, really happy about the tail lights, way better than the previous 2 sets I had...
kiwinz likes this.

Rich
65 Convertible
I6 - auto
A/C needs fixing
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM

I have JW Speaker 8700 Evo IIs and love them but they are expensive. I'm also using the CJ Pony Parts relay harness. As for DRLs, I should have clarified and said that if I were to install dedicated DRLs and not use the turn signals then I'd need to add extra wiring.
kiwinz likes this.

Defender of 18s!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
I have JW Speaker 8700 Evo IIs and love them but they are expensive. I'm also using the CJ Pony Parts relay harness. As for DRLs, I should have clarified and said that if I were to install dedicated DRLs and not use the turn signals then I'd need to add extra wiring.
Those headlights are interesting. I'd never heard of them. Did you get the blacked out ones or the chrome (I just looked them up) - any photos of them in your car?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 PM

Garage
I always figured if I ever wanted DRLs I'd just get the light up corral and put some bright LED behind it.

Am I the only one who's thought of that? Or is it just too dim to be useful? Or just too cheesy to bother?

I have Gary's turn signals and they are way brighter than anything else I've seen. I'm sure the DRLs would be even brighter.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinz View Post
Those headlights are interesting. I'd never heard of them. Did you get the blacked out ones or the chrome (I just looked them up) - any photos of them in your car?
They're mainly for Jeeps but being that they're 7" H4s they fit right in the Mustang's housings. I went with chrome and I'm not super crazy about how they look (too much chrome for me), but the black ones would look like black eyes. Again, they're not cheap but they work amazingly well. I've seen people use Truck-Lite 27270Cs and they look pretty cool, too. Of course I have pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5247.jpg (89.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5405.jpg (97.0 KB, 11 views)
kiwinz likes this.

Defender of 18s!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 PM

I went to LEDs for the safety of having DRL. I didn’t like how the DRL changed to amber and flashed and messed with the composition. I word the amber signal option to my fog lights. I left the signals in the original position below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88BF6284-1B2B-4C30-A7B8-5AD571BB075C_1524264035301.jpg (19.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg E139D3C6-75C4-4C16-9770-9FE3A5DEC7BD_1524264078250.jpg (19.7 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page