shop fan - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kechke

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

shop fan

Anyone have a suggestion for a good value/quality belt driven barrel fan that's portable to move around the shop. I need a little more air movement and would like to use it also to blow paint over spray as well. I don't want a ceiling fan as I want more portability. I have looked and it amazes me how much more the 48inch fans are versus the 42inch..not sure why. Also has anyone done this and put on a rheostat speed switch. The fans have 2 speeds but I would assume even low speed can be too much air and noise. Always appreciate using this forum and not having to reinvent the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM

I have a couple of different sized squirrel cage fans removed from old gas furnaces that I use to move air around.
Huntingky likes this.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechke View Post
I have a couple of different sized squirrel cage fans removed from old gas furnaces that I use to move air around.

thanks. Can you "accurately" aim the air direction? Aren't they pretty big? I may have the wrong image in my head. Thanks for the input.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Garage
I found a standard box fan (30X30") at a local Good Will (GW) store for $5. Works good for moving misc fumes out of the garage. Actually, found another a couple weeks later for the same money. I place it on a mobile cart when needed. Nothing fancy and it works!

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Maryland
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
I found a standard box fan (30X30") at a local Good Will (GW) store for $5. Works good for moving misc fumes out of the garage. Actually, found another a couple weeks later for the same money. I place it on a mobile cart when needed. Nothing fancy and it works!
I was thinking of something bigger that could be set in corner of shop and move enough air to freshen up the entire shop. The ones I look at say they move approx. 1500cfm. Thus the need to be able to slow them down with the rheostat switch hopefully.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 PM

At the end of summer Tractor Supply reduces the price on all of their shop fans and they have a large selection of them. Perhaps one of our resident electricians will chime in and discuss the variable speed (rheostat) switch.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM

If you're patient, you can find old 48" attic/barn/poultry
exhaust fans on Craigslist for $50 to $100. All you need
is the original metal frame with the pulley and blades
working. Then build a plywood box, use a 110V motor,
add chicken-wire screens and casters... badabing.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaday View Post
I was thinking of something bigger that could be set in corner of shop and move enough air to freshen up the entire shop. The ones I look at say they move approx. 1500cfm. Thus the need to be able to slow them down with the rheostat switch hopefully.
FYI, It does have a multi speed switch. It's shown setting on my mobile tool cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3036.jpg (46.5 KB, 16 views)

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Maryland
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Garage
I installed a whole house fan in my 30x40 shop a year or so ago. Easy install, pull chain 2 speeds, exhausts into the attic and out the soffit vents. So far works pretty good- it'll draw the welding fumes/smoke up and out without stirring things up too bad. It's quiet, which is really nice. I can use low speed most of the time- if I flip it to high and open a door, it'll suck everything right out- like the sanding dust after I blow off a just finished panel. I've also got a squirrel cage from a furnace in the corner- mounted and pointed at the center of the shop. I'll use it when sweeping the floor to blow the dust out, or just when it's hot and the door's are open.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I've become a fan of used squirrel cage fans. Mine is from a mobile home's heat pump system. It moves enough air to ventilate an entire house so is kind of overkill. The friend I bought it from stepped it down from 220V to 110V some way or another. 220V was way overkill. It still kind of is. I don't use it too much to blow air at me, I find it more useful to blow air OUT of the shop. Fumes, sanding dust, etc. I plan to use it as DIY paint booth ventilation at some point. As is, one of these provides very directional air, you have to point it directly at you. If you want to move air all over your shop you're really better served by a big blade fan.

At work I have the smallest PortACool on a leash. It goes where I go in the summer and if your hand cut off, try to borrow it. It is unfortunately VERY direction. The cool air feels like it makes a path barely bigger than a flashlight beam. I wouldn't use it at home though, the rust-causing humidity is already high enough there. If I were out west where ambient humidity is very low I'd have the biggest one I could afford and not worry about humidity at all.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Another vote for the squirrel cage fans. I have a couple that came out of old furnaces and one that is installed in a case. Very slick setup. An establishment was using them for cooling equipment and I snagged one during remodel. The case is about the size of a narrow refrigerator. The fan is located on the bottom of the cabinet with intake on the back side. The intake is just the right size for a furnace filter. The air blows out the top half of the other side. In the summer I position it in front of my open shop door and it sucks the cooler air from ground level and blows it around at head level. I installed castors so I can move it around.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaday View Post
thanks. Can you "accurately" aim the air direction? Aren't they pretty big? I may have the wrong image in my head. Thanks for the input.
I have a big one and a couple of small ones and mount them on a piece of plywood so they can be positioned where needed. As for casters on them, I tried that but they push so much air it took off like B29.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page