67 replacement lock cylinders question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

67 replacement lock cylinders question

Hopefully Rick will swing by from NPD but:

I'm going to replace the seriously worn keys on my 67. Looking at the NPD catalog, there are few options for replacement key cylinders for a 67. The trunk/glove box kit (item 43507) it's either NOS or repro, and I'm thinking the repro is just fine, so I'll think about which one I'll go with. Unless someone weighs in that the NOS is substantially better than the Repro.

Does the trunk repro (43507-1) come with ford stamped keys?

The main question is on item 22050, matched door and ignition. There are 3 options:

22050-2A-NOS, must reuse original levers
22050-2B-Best Repro
22050-2-w/ plain keys, original

I'm probably not going with 22050-2A, so that out.

So is 22050-2 original Ford parts with plain keys? If so, that seems like a good option, except you don't get the keys. I can have some oval ford keys cut at least.

22050-2B Best repro says with OE style Ford Keys. It goes on to say they are Ford logo, but are they the small round hole like original or the oval hole?

I know this sounds weird, but this will all affect probably what I order for all the locks.....

1967 Convertible, 302, 4spd, AC, PS, work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Dude, If your keys are just worn, Why are you replacing all the locks?? It makes no sense. I strongly advise keeping the original locks and Just have new keys cut....

That makes the most sense here unless some are of your locks are literally broken...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 AM

You can actually have new keys cut using your old worn keys.. since key cutting just goes by depth. ..Just use the best set of keys that you have. The depth is the only thing that is important to making a new key. Original Ford blanks are sold on ebay. Your original Ford '67 blanks should have a single round hole in them, and NOT the Oval hole.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I did have an ignition door key cut by code at the dealer in the 1980s. It was not very good and hung up badly and required lots of giggling of the key. I have no idea where that is today after moving several times. I guess I could try and replace the worn pins in the tumbler. As to the trunk and glove. The glove latch came from some other ford in the junkyard. I had it keyed alike but it’s not great either.

The trunk was broken into at some point as well. The trunk and glove has got to be replaced.

I was kinda tired of it and just thought while the car is all apart, I’d replace them. I am not going to throw the old ones out

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM

hey I have 67 ing and truck here bot new from npd ... I am in hudson 727 808 9804
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Well, If that's the case then, and the door panels are off of the car, Then just go with a complete kit then.. The glovebox lock may be extra, but you'd probably have to re-key it anyway... I would just re-key your existing glovebox lock or at least give it a try before you go purchasing a new one..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW67Conv View Post
Hopefully Rick will swing by from NPD but:

I'm going to replace the seriously worn keys on my 67. Looking at the NPD catalog, there are few options for replacement key cylinders for a 67. The trunk/glove box kit (item 43507) it's either NOS or repro, and I'm thinking the repro is just fine, so I'll think about which one I'll go with. Unless someone weighs in that the NOS is substantially better than the Repro.

Does the trunk repro (43507-1) come with ford stamped keys?

The main question is on item 22050, matched door and ignition. There are 3 options:

22050-2A-NOS, must reuse original levers
22050-2B-Best Repro
22050-2-w/ plain keys, original

I'm probably not going with 22050-2A, so that out.

So is 22050-2 original Ford parts with plain keys? If so, that seems like a good option, except you don't get the keys. I can have some oval ford keys cut at least.

22050-2B Best repro says with OE style Ford Keys. It goes on to say they are Ford logo, but are they the small round hole like original or the oval hole?

I know this sounds weird, but this will all affect probably what I order for all the locks.....
First off, I'll make a general statement that "most" of our lock sets are carefully-sourced to a supplier who has access to a plethora/stockpile of NOS Briggs & Stratton lock cylinders and related components. So it's almost all U.S.-made, and O.E. quality. So it's not like you're tossing the baby out with the bathwater when you replace worn original stuff with our sets. That said, I can't say whether replacing your original cylinders is absolutely necessary or not. That's your call.

* 43507-1 - comes with Ford "style" key, but no Ford oval logo.

* 22050-2A - They're all gone, sold the last set in February.

* 22050-2B - Quality of components is OE-quality, and the same quality as 22050-2... BUT the set comes with Ford logo'd keys (albeit the large oval holes instead of the original small-round), and the keyway for the ignition cylinder is correct.

* 22050-2 - Great value because quality of cylinders is OE, but comes with no-logo keys, and the keyway for the ignition cylinder is a long rectangle, not correct.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Rick
NPD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 PM

"and the keyway for the ignition cylinder is a long rectangle, not correct."

Interesting Rick....as I've never even seen these.... Got a Pic??

I'm thinking that the outer part of the cylinder keyway is just not the same shape of the profile of the key...

Thanks,

Tony K.

)

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Rick,

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I placed my order today (along with a lot of other stuff I need). For $10 more, I went with the more correct ignition/door set. I'm hoping not to take it apart again after this rebuild so I want to take care of these things.

I've been ordering about once a month as my son and I forge ahead with the second restoration on this car (last time in the 80's and has not run since 1990).

Jason

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"and the keyway for the ignition cylinder is a long rectangle, not correct."

Interesting Rick....as I've never even seen these.... Got a Pic??

I'm thinking that the outer part of the cylinder keyway is just not the same shape of the profile of the key...

Thanks,

Tony K.

)
I don't have a photo handy, but your description/thinking is correct.

Rick
NPD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page