1965 Sway Bar replacement - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 11Likes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

kenash - I sure did put the Shelby drop in my note file for future things that I might do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
... And if you did a tubular UCA, you would pretty much eliminate the tendency to plow in most driving situations.
What's different about a tubular UCA that provides this benefit? And does this also apply to a '68?

Mahalo,

Harry Z
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryZ View Post
What's different about a tubular UCA that provides this benefit? And does this also apply to a '68?

Mahalo,

Harry Z
They typically have camber/cast correction built in and provide more adjustment
HarryZ likes this.

Brad

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryZ View Post

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Tubular UCA's get rid of that stupid steel-on-steel upper control arm shaft with
screw in end caps, improve the motion ratio, fix the ball joint angle issue, vastly
improve the camber curve and are a helluva lot stronger. (some also add positive
caster as well) The elimination of squeaks alone (and the potential for squeaks)
is worth the price of admission.
The cars are the same from 65-73 with this suspension improvement. (65/66
have a unique upper shaft bolt pattern but all the rest on up are the same)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
green1965 likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I disagree I put a 1" ADDCO bar in and it made a big difference. But do your self a favor and do the UCA drop as well both combined and a good alignment will do wonders
The OP says his car is pretty much stock. I think he’ll feel the car be a little tighter up front but I don’t think it’s going to be extremely noticeable like say some Bilstein or Koni shocks, the Shelby 1” drop, roller spring perches, adjustable strut rods, tubular UCA’s/LCA’s and so on. It also doesn’t sound like he wants to go that route though, so to the OP I’d recommend, like I said before, doing the Shelby 1” drop and maybe some roller spring perches or adjustable strut rods. Those are going to make your car drive more comfortably and the adjustable strut rods will make it stay straighter when accelerating or hard braking. If you do go through with the Shelby 1” drop, make sure you get it aligned to those specs though or else you’re going to have issues.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyDoc View Post
I've had the export brace. 1" sway bar and Koni shocks since about 1991. I've done the Dragon multiple times, Snake and a lot of other roads that demand quick handling and good control. Never had a problem in 392,000+ miles. When I had my shop, almost every early mustang got the export brace, 1" sway bar and decent shocks and every owner noticed a major improvement. Unless you doing Autocross, over 1" can be detrimental. The original 13/16" can be almost as effective as the 1", so I wouldn't bother changing it. I was never a fan of monte carlo bars- they get in the way, need extra holes drilled and with the export brace already there, don't add much.
I added the curved Monte Carlo bar a couple years ago, (had the export brace on for a couple decades), and I definitely noticed a difference just on turning corners with the handling. And since I wasn't expecting any noticeable improvements, I was pretty surprised that I did.
THE EVIL TW1N likes this.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:01 PM

I actually went too large with my front sway bar and it actually rubs on the adjacent supports. So, I either need to find some offset supports or go back to a smaller front sway bar.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM

Mahalo @2nd 66 and @GT289 for the info. Much appreciated.
2nd 66 likes this.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
they typically have camber/caster correction built in and provide more adjustment
edited

Brad
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I added the curved Monte Carlo bar a couple years ago, (had the export brace on for a couple decades), and I definitely noticed a difference just on turning corners with the handling. And since I wasn't expecting any noticeable improvements, I was pretty surprised that I did.
I agree, monte carlo bar made a noticeable difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8 comp
460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"◊10", 19"x12" 325/30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page