Very very frustrated... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Very very frustrated...

I can't find a switched power source on the car that is hot during start and run mode...

I have to finish wiring in this fuel injection system
And this is upsetting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:42 AM

Not sure of the year, so a generic response to suggest running the line through the Radio circuit.

67 Fastback, 289, 10.5 comp., H-pipe, Mild Cam,
Edel 1403, C4, PS, PDB, Shelby Drop, GT Coils/Sway Bar

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry
It's a 66 model
I think I have only two possible solutions

Ignition switch. I know the stud won't work
But what about the other wires on it

Two. The alternator
I have a source on it. But it remains power after I shut the car off until I disconnect the battery
Then it is dead until I restart the car

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 AM

Following for the solution.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 08:21 AM

I have a 69 which is a little different is areas from a 66, but one thing is for sure: they all use the same basic ignition circuit. When the key is in "run or start" they have power to the ignition coil. Power goes from battery+ to the ignition switch from B to C (on a 69) and is on in run and start. This goes through the factory tach if you have one and to the pink resistor wire, then on the the coil. If you don't have a tach it just goes from the ignition switch to the resistor wire. You need to make a connection between the ignition switch and the resistor wire. Since I have no need for a 66 wire diagram I can't tell you the wire colors, but someone on here will know. Good luck.

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlinsteve View Post
I'm sorry
It's a 66 model
I think I have only two possible solutions

Ignition switch. I know the stud won't work
But what about the other wires on it

Why not use the stud on the back of the ignition switch?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Supporting Member

I comes out of the ignition switch with a black/green or red/green wire, then into the pink resistor wire. I just did the same thing wiring up FiTech. I had to bypass the pink resistor wire when I installed a new coil a while back to get 12 volts with key on and cranking.

Rorin67 and 67Modcoupe like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Supporting Member

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Garage
The pink resistor wire limits current and not voltage. If all you need is a signal wire to turn on an ECU or MSD, the current is so low it will not drop voltage. There is a + wire to the battery that carries the load to run the ECU and/or the MSD.

67 coupe Turbo Blow-thru 351w, C4, 8.8 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435094
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj5600 View Post
The pink resistor wire limits current and not voltage. If all you need is a signal wire to turn on an ECU or MSD, the current is so low it will not drop voltage. There is a + wire to the battery that carries the load to run the ECU and/or the MSD.
It depends on the application. My FiTech and Petronix CDI has a wire that goes to the battery and requires a 12v switched power source for key on and crank. If you splice in after the pink wire, you won't get 12v.

If the pink resistor wire doesn't limit voltage, why do stock coils measure 6v to 9v at the coil?

Tim
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtim22 View Post
It depends on the application. My FiTech and Petronix CDI has a wire that goes to the battery and requires a 12v switched power source for key on and crank. If you splice in after the pink wire, you won't get 12v.

If the pink resistor wire doesn't limit voltage, why do stock coils measure 6v to 9v at the coil?

Tim
The "pink" wire is a resistor. Resistors control current. That's their electronic/electrical
purpose. They let you determine how much current flows for a given voltage. Easy concept
if you consider regular wires as having no or extremely low resistance by themselves.

Quick summary- A resistor limits the flow of electrons, reducing current. Voltage comes
into play though because of the potential energy difference across the resistor.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post

Quick summary- A resistor limits the flow of electrons, reducing current. Voltage comes
into play though because of the potential energy difference across the resistor.
I'm no electrician, but I understand what you are saying. My point was that regardless of how you look at it, you will not get 12v if splice in after the pink resistor wire.

Tim
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Toss a Bosch-style relay near your FI unit, grab the power supply from the battery (typically at the front lug on the starter solenoid) and the relay switch wire from a jumper to the "I" wire on the solenoid. The "I" wire is hot when cranking (12v) and "I" hot in run being back-fed from the coil+ feed.
TheRktmn likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtim22 View Post
I'm no electrician, but I understand what you are saying. My point was that regardless of how you look at it, you will not get 12v if splice in after the pink resistor wire.
You got the basic jist right. There won't be 12 volts after the resistor. Current through a resistance causes a voltage drop. Ohm's Law. The resistor limits the current and by doing so causes the voltage on the load side (in this case the coil side) to drop accordingly. You'd use the value of the resistor to control how much voltage drop you get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltag...ts:_resistance
Mach1 Driver likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlinsteve View Post
I can't find a switched power source on the car that is hot during start and run mode...

I have to finish wiring in this fuel injection system
And this is upsetting
Did you check the ignition switch C (coil) terminal? That terminal has a RED/GRN wire on it and should be hot in ON (run) and START.

Paul

Okay. Engine Stop. ACA out of Detent. Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.
-Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 LMP
Actual first words from the surface of the moon

Early Fox: 5.0L HO SEFI conversion, 5-speed, 8.8 w/3.27:1 TL, full dual exhaust

1968 coupe - Ordered 12.15.67 Delivered 2.1.68: 8T01T, 65C, 289 conversion, hanger queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page