Door locks too small? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Door locks too small?

Just got a new set of door/locks from RPS.

They are too small for the door and pretty much go right through. My originals are 1.2 in diameter and these are 1inch

What is the correct size for these?

They are made by classic auto locks. I got them because I heard the Drake ones had bad ignition cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Dude, It would help if you told us what year car... If it's a '65-'66.... You're in trouble...and someone enlarged the lock holes for a '67-'70 size lock. I've seen some idiots do this before.. God only knows why...

'65-'66 is smaller than '67-'70.

What year car are we talking about here.....Your bio mentions a 1966 A-code in NorCal....

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Yeah, If you look hard at the door lock hole...You can plainly see that someone did some creative hole carving with the hole..

The only way to fix is two options... #1. Fix it correctly and cut some door lock hole "squares" donor sheet metal from two donor doors, Have them welded in, and then have the both doors re-painted or "blended". #2. Insert '67-'68 Mustang "Reversible Key" Door locks. They will hold you over until you can decide what you want to do... You'll have to carry around an extra key though to be able to get into your car. I'll never understand why people "enlarge" these holes. It makes no sense. The only time that I ever saw it make sense was when a car had been broken into and the thief destroyed the original locks and holes...

Good Luck with your repairs..! Sorry for the bad news buddy!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Door locks too small?

Yeah I know better than to not list the year...its a 66. Sorry about that.

Looking at the keys, they are definitely the ones that can be inserted from either side.

Thanks for confirming.

Ugh, the whole point of all this was so that I could get matching ignition and door keys.

Is the ignition cylinder different between the 66 and 67? I wonder if I could get a set of 67 keys then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 AM

Geez, I'd like to see what they did to your ignition switch lock and hole, and also the trunk lock hole...since '67-'70 locks are bigger diameter there too... Take some pics for us so we can see them and so we can tell you how best to proceed with the repairs...and how about a pic or two of the entire car to boot...!

"Is the ignition cylinder different between the 66 and 67?"

Yep, You bet. not even close between the two years...

)

Thanks,

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 AM

The '65-'66 Door, Ignition and Trunk key locks are all single slot, single sided keys.. '67-'70 are all "Double-Sided" and "Reversible".

The '67-'68 Ignition is considerably bigger diameter than the '65-'66 so it will be interesting to see your pics to see what someone did...for whatever reason....and don't forget to show us a pic of the trunk lock too.. I'm sure that area will be just as interesting...

Thanks,

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
The '65-'66 Door, Ignition and Trunk key locks are all single slot, single sided keys.. '67-'70 are all "Double-Sided" and "Reversible".

The '67-'68 Ignition is considerably bigger diameter than the '65-'66 so it will be interesting to see your pics to see what someone did...for whatever reason....and don't forget to show us a pic of the trunk lock too.. I'm sure that area will be just as interesting...

Thanks,

Tony K.
Too bad!
I really wanted to have the correct set of "pony keys".

Right now the car has 3 different keys. 1 for the doors, 1 for the ignition and another for the trunk.

Only the doors are double sided (67 style) thank god. Before I did the door locks, I did the ignition switch and had no problems. I'm waiting to get a blank for the trunk key, and i'm just going to get a locksmith to rekey it to a pony key blank.

I'm baffled at some of the irreversible choices the PO has made and I hate finding them out as I go. This door lock thing really sucks

Since the rest of the keys aren't a hack job, I will try and entertain you with some of his/her other work. Luckily some stuff can easily be taken care of.

First, Betty as she sits now - still far from what I want her to be

Hacked up dash - I don't get it, if you're already cutting it, why cut it this way?? I really have no words.

Random hole in the right door only. Towards the front. What the hell for ... a speaker? Maybe he had it on the other door also and replaced the door at some point. Still why??

Here you can see they painted the entire gauge cluster black with a shiny black paint. Fine, you like black...cool - but then why would you paint the glove box door, with the same paint - BUT take the time to mask and leave the chrome accents ... I don't have a pic of it, but it really doesn't make sense.

Also, notice the missing door trim on the pony interior. You spent a ton of money getting most of it right...why not go all the way At least these are easy fixes.

Some other stupid stuff -
  • Shaved the front hubs down in some spots, possibly to fit some sort of aftermarket wheels.
  • Completely butchered the rear speaker holes. Will have to mount speakers on top of the package tray now.
  • Power steering ram hitting the header. Thank god they didn't attempt any "fabrication" around there.
  • Cut a hole on the side of the console for a switch - At first I thought it was a kill switch or a provision for an electric fan. No no no. Why would I expect something reasonable like that at this point given their pedigree...It's actually a switch to turn the rear console lights on and off. Yes, they went through the effort to wire this up, and cut the console to add this incredible feature.

I love this car, and I'm enjoying learning about it by fixing all this crap, but I just can't believe some people's thought process and I hate days like today.

Hope at least you can have some laughs at my expense

Last edited by WeTheNorth; 05-20-2018 at 01:15 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM

I like her... She's a good "Looker" and still has a lot of spirit left in her. I'm more than sure that you'll make her right again.. The hole in the one door looks a lot like a factory style '66 Speaker hole. Check out NPD for factory style door speakers and grilles. You may have to cut a hole in the other door to match them both up... With the dash butchery, You could weld in radio patch panels sold, or you could get a donor dash from a donor car.. It would probably take you the same or less amount of time to weld in a donor dash..

New Repro Dynacorn Door shells would probably solve your door issues...and just have the new shells painted to match the rest of the car...

Thanks for sharing your pics..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Garage
Your PO appears to be a poster child for the phrase " A little knowledge is dangerous"

On the other hand, perhaps he got his automotive knowledge in Havana after 1960 where the motto is "Do the best you can with what you've got"

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page