Attention Canadians, Europeans, and others outside the US: Question on Customs - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Attention Canadians, Europeans, and others outside the US: Question on Customs

There is a LOT of misinformation out there, and trying to get correct answers.

For example, Canada, several people who have bought parts from me, state that Auto Parts over 50 years old are exempt from Customs Duties. Is this true, and if so, how do you get around the fact that ebay imposes customs duties through the global shipping program.

Same question to others outside the US, what are your country's exemption for old car parts, and how do you "force" ebay either not to charge the duty or get it refunded?

Thanks

Bob

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM

I am in the UK

I pay import fees on everything

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:29 PM

I'm in Canada and one thing that's consistent is that if UPS is the chosen courier then 99% of the time I am charged $80 Canadian plus GST tax on the $80. It amounts to just about $100 Can. Therefore I try to buy from sellers that don't use UPS unless I have no other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
68Hildago and GT68CS like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
I'm in Canada and one thing that's consistent is that if UPS is the chosen courier then 99% of the time I am charged $80 Canadian plus GST tax on the $80. It amounts to just about $100 Can. Therefore I try to buy from sellers that don't use UPS unless I have no other options.

Forgot to mention that $100 is over and above shipping and actual taxes on the purchase price of the item.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM

While I do not know the specific answer to your question I can say that when I lived in Canada Fedex was really bad for charging duties and brokerage fees after the delivery. I would always request USPS shipping if I could.

Also, if the parts are made in USA, Canada or Mexico arent they exempt from duties due to NAFTA regardless of the year they are made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 PM

Garage
Precisely why for 15+ years on EBay I sell to US locations only. No offense to our overseas (or over borders) friends, but it's just not worth the hassle dealing with customs. I clearly state in my auctions that I ship to US locations only- if they want me to send to a friend, who then sends over borders to them- so be it. I've actually had the worst luck with '67-'72 f100 and '70's Maverick parts- it always seems to be folks from Brazil that are hot after them!!

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Garage
Here is the correct scoop for US exporting to Canada:

- HST is applicable. If you use USPS then there is usually no HST charged by Canada Post until the total is greater than $150. Canada Post then charges $10 brokerage plus HST.

- Many people call HST duty. Duty is not HST. HST is sales tax. Duty is an import tax. They are not the same.

- UPS/Fedex/etc charge unreasonable brokerage fees and always collects HST and duty. As a Canadian always always always use the post office.

- If made in the EU, US or Mexico there are no duties on auto parts. If made elsewhere there may be duty payable. Duty varies but is generally only a couple of points. See point 1 though.
- the Ebay, Rockauto, etc sellers know all the rules and correctly calculate the additional dollars to be charged. This charge is a combination of shipping, brokerage, sales taxes and duty.
GT68CS and vegasloki like this.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special

Last edited by pprince; 05-21-2018 at 06:53 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 PM

I ship all my export parts myself by USPS since 2001. There is no requirement to use Global shipping through ebay. What program are you using to list items? If it's turbo lister just un-check use global shipping if your using a template do the same thing. The buyer is responsible for any taxes, duties etc.

( Check box is here ) Sell internationally with the Global Shipping Program. Just send it to the US shipping center when your item sells.

Bob

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprince View Post
- the Ebay, Rockauto, etc sellers know all the rules and correctly calculate the additional dollars to be charged. This charge is a combination of shipping, brokerage, sales taxes and duty.
Ebay & Paypal does it to the seller to collect their 13.5 to 15% transaction fee. I'd never ship it by Global shipping for any reason. Let the buyer pay their own fees.

Bob

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 AM

I refuse to use UPS. As Caper mentioned, we always get hosed an extra 100$ when a package crosses the border in shipping transit. I would also agree with pprince, if i am importing it by courier, I will only use USPS. Since I've really started to accumulate parts for my project, the best method is to get them shipped to a US address, make the trip to pick them up myself, and personally bring them across the border. This method is especially economical if the vendor has free shipping within the US. I will be billed federal and provincial tax on the CDN dollar value of the goods at customs. I am only an hour from the border so 3 hours is more than enough time for me to make the return trip and stop for a coffee in both directions.
Product labeling is one of the more ridiculous aspects of importing goods. Products that require warning or caution labeling, (as determined by Health Canada) can be restricted at the border if the product label does not include the warnings in French as well. This is due to Canada having 2 official languages.
68Hildago likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmustang View Post
I am in the UK
I pay import fees on everything
My country is Spain and I believe we pay more than everything.!
I even pay $30 if I receive a gift from a friend valued $75.
Maybe I should have to start thinking changing country, this is becoming to be very tough..

Jose

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Garage
In Germany we get stung for everything that comes into the country from the USA. No matter how old car parts are they are all dutied at sales price plus we have to pay customs duty on shipping costs. If that wasn't enough I have to take a day off work to go to the customs office (20 miles away) to pick up my package because they have really sick opening hours. (7.30 am -3.15 pm) Fridays closed at 12.00.
Because I could not source a $5 transmission thrust washer in Europe I ordered one from a dealer in New Jersey. Shipping $60 Customs & import duty 25. Now that is insane Rant Over

Do it right. ONCE!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 PM

Some US shippers won't ship to Hawaii. Is that another country? Haha.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 AM

What About Parcel Forwarding Services?

I was trying to buy a set of wheel alignment turn plates but the seller only ships to the lower 48. I was wondering if anyone has used the services of one of these companies. Some of them will forward packages to Canada, Europe, Germany, etc. They provide a US address to one of their warehouses and forward the package to it's out of country destination, thru Fed-Ex, DHL or USPS. Looks like most of them don't use UPS---which is a bonus because of their exorbitant brokerage fees.

https://tech-vise.com/best-parcel-fo...onal-shoppers/
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:48 AM

Folded up plastic trash bags works quite well in place of turn plates.
Huskinhano and Caper50 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page