I swear - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By GypsyR

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I swear

I know its not polite to swear but sometimes working on my fracken mustang makes me want to. I think 4 fingered drunks have done most all of the work I have seen on my car and its work that I am now having to correct.

I'm having to go around and touch up all the gas tank screw holes for the new gas tank that I have coming. They are all either double drilled or seriously elongated into peanut shaped ovals.

At some point somebody put a new tail light panel on the thing and none of the rosette welds across the back are completely filled. I'm having to go around and hit every weld again and finish filling them in then grind them smooth.

The panel is on there ok except that they didn't paint the back of it. It does have some kind of dull black on it. The reason I know it wasn't painted is because it has the part number stencil sprayed on the inside in huge 1 inch letters and numbers. When did who do this sort of a thing for parts like this?

They also did not seam seal the tail light panel so I can look down inside my trunk and see daylight all along that support bar or beam that the tail light panel is against.

They/them botched these really bad when they put the tail light panel in so I'm having to replace both the lower corner pieces.

I still have the ends of metal strap bars that were welded to my rear frame rails to hang tail pipe on. Just one on each side was apparently not enough. There are 2 on each side. I am trying to figure out how to get up in there to get those off. I think I will have to chew away at the welds with my sawzall to get at them.

The tail light chrome bezels were screwed in with screws that were way too long and when they tightened them down they put dents in the tail light panels at all 4 corners on both tail lights.

The tail lights also had no gaskets at all.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 05-23-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Well.... at least they put a new tail light panel on yours..... on my 67 vert I discovered they just welded a new twilight panel over the rusted out one already on the car.

But look, the point is, if you bought one of these old gals assuming you were getting a perfectly done vehicle you then set yourself up for some huge disappointment. These cars are a labor of love, and a hobby for folks, some are more talented than others on the work they do.

Heck, the previous PO may have thought he/she did a pretty fine job. Who knows, down the road if you sell your car with all the work you're doing on it, the new owner may find issues with your work. Everyone has their own standards of work.

We buy these things to put more into them then we will ever get out, but they should viewed as a fun thing / a stress reliever. If you're getting stressed out working on these or finding odd things wrong here or there, then perhaps tinkering with a 50 year old classic is not your forte.

Just enjoy it, have fun with it, but know that you're not on an island by yourself, all of us have experienced odd things POs have done to their cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170128_063419.jpg (88.8 KB, 34 views)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSRVIT View Post
Well.... at least they put a new tail light panel on yours..... on my 67 vert I discovered they just welded a new twilight panel over the rusted out one already on the car.

But look, the point is, if you bought one of these old gals assuming you were getting a perfectly done vehicle you then set yourself up for some huge disappointment. These cars are a labor of love, and a hobby for folks, some are more talented than others on the work they do.

Heck, the previous PO may have thought he/she did a pretty fine job. Who knows, down the road if you sell your car with all the work you're doing on it, the new owner may find issues with your work. Everyone has their own standards of work.

We buy these things to put more into them then we will ever get out, but they should viewed as a fun thing / a stress reliever. If you're getting stressed out working on these or finding odd things wrong here or there, then perhaps tinkering with a 50 year old classic is not your forte.

Just enjoy it, have fun with it, but know that you're not on an island by yourself, all of us have experienced odd things POs have done to their cars.

They just made it twice as strong so it should last twice as long!

Andy

68 Coupe about to be pulled from the cob webs.

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
My wife doesn't like me to swear and I try not to, around here. But I carefully explained that when you swing and miss with a two pound hammer and hit your thumb so hard that blood actually squirts out from under your thumbnail that stuff like "goodgollygoshgeewillikers" just doesn't quite get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page