Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Need pics of 69 color matched styled wheels

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  NEFaurora 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a link or pic of the 68/69 slotted wheels body-color matched? I have recently acquired the original argent styled-steel slotted wheels for my 69 convertible. They are a little worse for wear and I'd like to just paint them body-color instead of going back to argent. I know this was an option in 69 (according to the 69 options book I have), but I can't find an example on google images or other searches so I thought I'd ask here. If no pics, do you happen to know if they did the chrome slot inserts or not? I'm thinking it would look really nice with them, but I'd like to see pics before I order them if possible.

#3 · (Edited)
Same wheel type but painted instead of chrome or argent (mine were argent), but it was an optional wheel for all models except the Grande. It was called "color-keyed styled steel wheel". I just read it again and it appears it did include the "bright trim rings" in the ventilation holes, so I have that answer. But I still can't seem to find any pics of anyone with it done. I wonder if it was an option that was never bought or if it was discontinued early.

#4 ·
Either it wasn't actually an option, or nobody picked it- cause I couldn't find any at all while googling?? I did see several sets of the stock steel wheels color matched...

#5 ·
I have a 68 coupe that according to the Marti report was optioned with the argent slots (same as 69). It was a Highland Green car so it would have looked good with this color combination. Anyways I also had trouble finding any examples online.

david

#6 ·
There's a guy near Dallas that has a 68 GT500KR with color matched candy-apple-red ones, he told me his were possibly the only ones ever ordered that way (memory is a little fuzzy, it may have been that his were "prototypes" of some kind that were wrangled out of Ford for that car). Anyways, if you have the "69 Ford Mustang Illustrated Facts Book", it has reprints of all the options printed by Ford at some point (early on in 69 I guess because it has GT as well as Mach 1), it has this wheel option. I think it would look great on my original candy-apple-red vert, and if not I could easily go back to an "argent" finish I guess. I'm really just curious now if anyone ever ordered this option (other than that one 68 GT500 I saw)

#7 ·
In the 1969 Mustang sales brochure, there is a photo of a green convertible with the body color wheels you are asking about. It kid of looks like the holes have the chrome trim around them. There are a number of web sites where you can see the brochure.

#8 ·
I don't think that it was an "Original" option either. People restoring their cars over the decades have just had their '68-'69 SS wheels repainted body color when they had their cars repainted.....thus causing the confusion.

The wheels were only offered in Argent Silver until 1969 when a fully chromed version was offered. That was it.

Any '68-'69 Styled Steel wheels painted body color were just done by owners just wanting to do something different... It wasn't the factory that painted them body color.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#12 ·
Hmmm… The 1968 C8OZ wheel came with chrome centers, argent centers, or reflective argent centers, although I've never seen a legitimate example of the latter. But there's plenty of evidence for both chrome and argent.

1969 saw continued use of both, and of course the documentation shows the color-keyed wheels. I've never seen one. However, I recall not long ago Drake was reproducing the little trim rings for the holes.

#10 ·
You can't go by factory "brochures" either because the cars being used for "Photo Shots" are usually pre-production vehicles not representing actual production cars 100%... I know of quite few instances where things offered in the brochures were never even offered or completely different than what was actually produced.

Tony K.

#11 ·
Well, I found it on options lists and on a brochure, that's good enough for me. I'm obviously not going concours with it, but I am interested to know the history of the "option" though. I love things like this that were offered but maybe never purchased, or discontinued early or before production actually began. So it appears to be something that Ford had planned but maybe changed their minds just before their production run. I'm taking the wheels to get the tires pulled off, and then off to media-blast. I'm looking forward to seeing the results (and if I don't like it, I can always go back and do it in "argent" later). These are going to be a second set of wheels for me anyways. For now I think I prefer my 17" black "torque thrust" wheels, but these will be a fun side-project.

#15 ·
Will do! Just trying to find a media-blasting place nearby right now, I already got the old tires off and the old beauty rings off. I'll try to chrome-polish the center-caps (I have some original GT caps my brother was saving) and the beauty rings.

#16 ·
Your convertible should look pretty good with the matching color wheels. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
My '69 originally came with the argent painted wheels with trim rings and caps. After it was about a year old, I decided to paint the wheels black for a different look. I got tired of that pretty quickly and went back to the argent before long. I am still running the argent wheels but I do swap them up with Torque Thrusts from time to time. I do not recall ever running across any original '69 Mustangs with the body color wheels but have seen photos of cars with them.

#17 ·
"Hmmm… The 1968 C8OZ wheel came with chrome centers, argent centers, or reflective argent centers, although I've never seen a legitimate example of the latter. But there's plenty of evidence for both chrome and argent. "

Isn't that what I said??!? I think that you mis-read....

Tony K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.