Those with an Ididit tilt column.... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 20Likes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Those with an Ididit tilt column....

I've been really contemplating a tilt column in my 68. I love my 15" wood wheel and don't want to switch to a smaller wheel... but leg room is just tight.

So my questions is: those with an ididit column... do you use the tilt only for getting in and out of the vehicle? Or is the angle of tilt comfortable to drive with the wheel upright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Garage
I put one in a '40 Ford sedan, and planning on one in a '64 Fairlane this winter. In the '40 it's nice to adjust it depending on the drive- the longer you go, the nicer it is to tilt it as you slouch deeper into the seat! lol. The Fairlane is smaller, so tilting getting in and out will be a nice addition. If you pull the trigger, DO NOT go with a Summit column- they're absolute junk! It took 3 before I finally made them send me an Ididit. The first 2 Summit brand columns actually fell apart before I even drove the car- the 3rd lasted about 6 miles. The Ididit was 10x the quality, easy to install and wire, and feels very solid while driving.
4ocious and Fishfreq like this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT1124 View Post
I've been really contemplating a tilt column in my 68. I love my 15" wood wheel and don't want to switch to a smaller wheel... but leg room is just tight.

So my questions is: those with an ididit column... do you use the tilt only for getting in and out of the vehicle? Or is the angle of tilt comfortable to drive with the wheel upright?
Subscribing cuz I want tilt too. Don't think I want to mod a JY F150 tilt column like another vm'er did, considered Summit, or Scott Drake tilt. Then Flaming River, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinkin' - I know Ididit is the best of breed, is this the one place where you can feel that diff and it's worth it? You touch it, tilt it every day when you get in, if you're like me. I'd like to hear how people respond to you about their use...

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Also did you choose ididit GM or Ford steering wheel spline?
And why?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Trouble
Supporting Member

Garage
I have an Ididit tilt wheel in my 68 fastback. I have the GM spline (necessary for the wiring package) and a MotoLita steering wheel. I love it!
Fishfreq likes this.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified All Years
MCA National Secretary
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie_S View Post
I have an Ididit tilt wheel in my 68 fastback. I have the GM spline (necessary for the wiring package) and a MotoLita steering wheel. I love it!
Do you drive with it "up"? or just use the tilt function to get in and out of the vehicle?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
Subscribing cuz I want tilt too. Don't think I want to mod a JY F150 tilt column like another vm'er did, considered Summit, or Scott Drake tilt. Then Flaming River, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinkin' - I know Ididit is the best of breed, is this the one place where you can feel that diff and it's worth it? You touch it, tilt it every day when you get in, if you're like me. I'd like to hear how people respond to you about their use...
Definitely worth the money for the quality columns.....I found this article while researching for my 56 F100 project.
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...ng_Columns.pdf
Kinda says it all....don't go cheap on steering and brakes.
Boss5Oh and Fishfreq like this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Garage
I put an ididit column in when I switched to rack and pinion. It's VERY nice. I'd recommend their stuff to anyone. The tilt is nice, though I rarely use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishfreq likes this.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Trouble
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT1124 View Post
Do you drive with it "up"? or just use the tilt function to get in and out of the vehicle?
I adjust the tilt to what I want when driving. I don't need it up to get in and out.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified All Years
MCA National Secretary
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Garage
I installed an Ididit tilt a few years ago and am quite happy with it and their support. I had an issue with the turn signal cancel cam and Ididit was very responsive and sent me a new cam harness. Because of the after market bucket seats I use the tilt function every time getting in and out as its very useful.

I think the issue I had may be because I am using a stock after market steering wheel. If I was to do it again I think I'd try the GM spline.
Fishfreq likes this.

'66 Coupe: GT40 5.0: 670 Holley & Edelbrock RPM AirGap: JBA shorties: AOD w/TCI shiftkit: Granada Disks: R&P steering: 3.55 Currie
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 AM

I have an ididit tilt to go in my 68 fastback

I have 69 Mach one seats and the leg room and steering wheel angle is horrible. The column I am sure has been moved a bit for the R&P that was installed before my purchase

I am hoping the column sorts it

Best of luck woth your install
Fishfreq likes this.

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I adjust the tilt to what I want when driving. I don't need it up to get in and out.
Good to hear. This is the info I was looking for.
My fear was that if I were to leave it in the up position (for comfort of getting in and out) it would feel like I was driving a school bus... With the steering wheel at a horizontal angle.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbman View Post
I put an ididit column in when I switched to rack and pinion. It's VERY nice. I'd recommend their stuff to anyone. The tilt is nice, though I rarely use it.
Hey JB,

Do you ever steer with your knee for a minute? I'm constantly doing that and adjusting tilt down one click for that in my other cars. Do you have high bolster or stock flat seats?
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey Laurie,

Why is the gm spline needed for wiring? I thought they both were already converted to our specific ford connector so that they're 'plug-and-play'?

What is it that you love about it? Do you use the tilt often? Do you ever click it down so you can steer with your knee? How about up? Also, what kind of seats do you have? High side bolster or flat stock type seats?

In my other cars, I use tilt a lot, and since my column is a little jacked by a PO mod, I'd like to change it.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
Hey JB,

Do you ever steer with your knee for a minute? I'm constantly doing that and adjusting tilt down one click for that in my other cars. Do you have high bolster or stock flat seats?

Very rarely, only to stay straight for a second I have standard seats, but Iím looking at getting something with bolsters in the future. I expect the tilt will really come in handy then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishfreq likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page