Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Those with an Ididit tilt column....

10K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Chaplin 
#1 ·
I've been really contemplating a tilt column in my 68. I love my 15" wood wheel and don't want to switch to a smaller wheel... but leg room is just tight.

So my questions is: those with an ididit column... do you use the tilt only for getting in and out of the vehicle? Or is the angle of tilt comfortable to drive with the wheel upright?

#2 ·
I put one in a '40 Ford sedan, and planning on one in a '64 Fairlane this winter. In the '40 it's nice to adjust it depending on the drive- the longer you go, the nicer it is to tilt it as you slouch deeper into the seat! lol. The Fairlane is smaller, so tilting getting in and out will be a nice addition. If you pull the trigger, DO NOT go with a Summit column- they're absolute junk! It took 3 before I finally made them send me an Ididit. The first 2 Summit brand columns actually fell apart before I even drove the car- the 3rd lasted about 6 miles. The Ididit was 10x the quality, easy to install and wire, and feels very solid while driving.

#3 ·
Subscribing cuz I want tilt too. Don't think I want to mod a JY F150 tilt column like another vm'er did, considered Summit, or Scott Drake tilt. Then Flaming River, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinkin' - I know Ididit is the best of breed, is this the one place where you can feel that diff and it's worth it? You touch it, tilt it every day when you get in, if you're like me. I'd like to hear how people respond to you about their use...

#5 ·
I have an Ididit tilt wheel in my 68 fastback. I have the GM spline (necessary for the wiring package) and a MotoLita steering wheel. I love it!

Reactions: Fishfreq
#10 ·
I installed an Ididit tilt a few years ago and am quite happy with it and their support. I had an issue with the turn signal cancel cam and Ididit was very responsive and sent me a new cam harness. Because of the after market bucket seats I use the tilt function every time getting in and out as its very useful.

I think the issue I had may be because I am using a stock after market steering wheel. If I was to do it again I think I'd try the GM spline.

#11 ·
I have an ididit tilt to go in my 68 fastback

I have 69 Mach one seats and the leg room and steering wheel angle is horrible. The column I am sure has been moved a bit for the R&P that was installed before my purchase

I am hoping the column sorts it

Best of luck woth your install

#17 ·
1) Ididit makes very fine products.

2) Which style column you get (Ford or GM) doesn't matter for wiring purposes. You can use original factory, Painless, American Autowire, all will adapt.

3) The main reason some prefer the GM style (like me) is simply because you have more flexibility in choice of steering wheels that will fit it.

4) I chose the paint-able column myself, can match your interior theme better that way and looks like it belongs. Cost is less too.

5) Make sure the column itself is grounded after painting somehow or your horns won't work.

6) I raise the tilt getting in and out, but will drive with it either straight or just one notch up.

7) They make a "Shorty Adapter" too, I have one. This puts the wheel (I think) 1.5" further away from your chest from stock. Sweet.

#19 ·
1)
6) I raise the tilt getting in and out, but will drive with it either straight or just one notch up.
This is the real info I'm after. Thanks for the insight! I need to quick "kicking the tires" and just buy one already.
Like others have said- it's the number one thing you touch/feel the most. and being crammed in the driver seat with my knee pressing the armrest is the number 1 complaint I have...

#22 ·
I’m a big guy, and the non tilt straight column I have in my 68 FB. Isn’t going to cut it...

That and I’m working on the EPAS conversion and I have to make a plan.

Hoping to revive this thread
Revive it Mikey, I'm still trying to decide on which option to choose; cheap like DIY JY F150 or Scott Drake tilt or expensive Flaming River or SUPER EXPENSIVE Ididit. Our '68's were the first with a collapsable column, and that's a feature that could save your life in an accident, so I'm thinkin' it's important.

After you get the column there will be all sorts of added costs; wheel adapters and wheel, ball lower or billet upper mount, double D adapter, etc. so it'll add up to a princely sum no matter what, I'm guessing, but what hasn't, in your build? You doing EPS is gonna be a different can of worms, but an interesting option nonetheless. I've already got the Borgeson PS conversion so no chance soon of going EPS.

#23 ·
I dislike the thread revive because it's reminding me I want/need to buy one... and cost me more than I want to think about!
I decided on an Ididit, '68 Ford style... Like Fishfreq said, I'd like to keep the collapsible option and I'd like to keep my current aftermarket steering wheel. The "drop in" ability of this setup sold me... I just need to pull the trigger and buy it!

#25 ·
In my recent experience with Ididit, I found them the most unresponsive. I have a 69 Mach with an iconic steering that I will not part with. It requires two slip rings to operate the horn. One is hot, it goes through the rim-blow switch and back out the other to the horns which are grounded. The aftermarket columns use a single slip ring Chevy type system. Ididit doesn't know where their spring contact is positioned so there is no way to tell if your steering wheel is compatible with their column. They aren't willing to measure one either.
Flaming River was very helpful and gave me the numbers. I found that their contact was too close to the wheel's hub and in the gap between the first slip ring and hub of my wheel, making it unusable. They have a kit to make a 65-66 wheel fit but it doesn't appear to work on mine.
If you can get at least one of the slip rings to line-up with their spring contact, then you can add a relay to the car to operate the horns.

#26 ·
That's amazing, a company that does nothing but steering columns couldn't help you make a (stock?) steering wheel work with their setup, and they have both GM style and Ford spline top configurations. What are you gonna do? Redesign that whole horn wiring? Make your own tilt column or have a column fabbed up? Did any '69 or 70's have a factory tilt system you could model?

I'm going aftermarket because there's nothing special about my 6 cyl to 302 converted T code coupe.

#33 ·
Fishfreq, we have very different requirements. All i want is a tilt column to operate my stock rim-blow wheel, with my stock steering gear. It doesn't appear that any aftermarket column can fill that bill, and I will need to use a stock tilt column. At least I have an option, even if it is expensive.

On the other hand, you've indicated that a replacement Borgeson box requires a shorter column. Customization tends to snowball and cause other problems, especially if you don't have the equipment or skills or special knowledge to solve those problems. Cost aside, take a hard look at the entire system. Would you be better off going back to a stock steering box? Chockostang can make a stock system trouble free and leak free. After all, the stock system was put on millions of cars, and will bolt right on. Does it better serve your purposes?

#34 ·
That's a very good question Mach1; going back to stock? Since I bought my car with the borgeson ps conversion installed, brand new, po never got to try it, I don't have any of the stock parts. I do know that I like the quicker ratio over the stock ps so that's a big consideration. I'd really like a tilt collapsible column too. Since I see a borgeson conversion parts alone is over $800, and I'm sure stock setup will be equally or more costly to retrofit, factoring in my wrench time and money, my solution choices are just like yours; expensive and expensive. I just haven't mentally been able to stomach that crazy high ididit/FR tilt kit price...

#36 ·
Fellow Forum Members;

I was searching for a steering column from Flamming River and Ididit. Really expensive$$$ I found one on ebay for a bit over $200.00 I know you get what you pay for. Any thoughts on this deal?

The product description states.

"1967 - 1970 Ford Mustang 32 Black Floor Shift Tilt Steering Column No Key"

The company selling this is called "Top End Speed "

Link to the product.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1970-Ford-Mustang-32-Black-Floor-Shift-Tilt-Steering-Column-No-Key/263507536859?fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3AMustang%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item3d5a45ebdb:g:AfcAAOSwndZai3ab:rk:1:pf:1

#37 · (Edited)
Ididit makes a column specifically for Borgeson conversions, it's on my to buy list before spring. Since it was asked, I really like my Borgeson setup, easy to install and works well. I have two easily corrected issues with it, first the rag joint setup doesn't inspire confidence so I'm changing to a universal joint when I install the tilt column, secondly for me its a bit over assisted so I'm going to change the pressure relief valve and see what happens.

#39 ·
Reviving the thread again for a quick question. Those with the Ididit column and a rack and pinion, did you go with the shorter column or normal length? If you had the normal length, did you have any issues with the rack?

#40 ·
PO installed it so I can’t comment on how much work it was or dealing with ididit, but my 68 has the ididit column with the Steeroids rack and pinion and it is awesome.

He told me he bought the two together as a kit.

Easy bolt in and clears up a lot of space where the steering box goes.

#41 ·
My EPAS steering kit came with an IdidIt tilt column , bare metal which I painted to match my interior. I love the tilt because I replaced my original stock wheel with a 13 1/2" Grant and I can drop it to a nice comfortable level and then easy peasy move it to get out. I'm not a "yuge" person but those who may be will appreciate a little tilt for entry/exit. I know it's not concours but I don't care since it's MY car, not a show queen.

#44 ·
It doesn’t extend that far into the engine bay- maybe 6 inches or so? Ididit makes a column specifically for use with a rack & pinion, so make sure you get that one. The adjustment takes place with the intermediate shaft between the rack and the end of the column- you need to measure the distance and cut the shaft to fit.

I should have some pics somewhere. I’ll take a look and post what I find.

I have an after market wheel.

#46 ·
One, that's nice and clean and I'm jealous. Two, thanks for the pic, that helps a lot.

So here's my dilemma. I replaced the stock column for a Flaming River tilt column (30" long) and had a Flaming River steering box. It worked, but I had to change my steering wheel so I went with the Shelyb style 9-bolt which I liked but it put the wheel too far from me. I tried numerous things to get it back to the previous position and eventually found a fix, but it put the edge of the column at the firewall and I couldn't get it to seal very well. I'm going to go back to the original wheel (which is 1.5" deeper than what I had before), and I have the TCP rack. My concern with going with the shorter column as they recommend is that I'll be back to the same spot with the previous column. I'm a tall guy (6') so I put my seat all the way back so maybe I just like my wheel further back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.