Random bolt sticking out of the bottom of the unibody - Vintage Mustang Forums
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mustangtyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 75
Garage
Confused Random bolt sticking out of the bottom of the unibody

I have a 65 mustang fastback and there is this crazy bolt sticking out of the bottom of the car on the left side. I cant figure our what it could possible be for. Is it stock? The other side of the car does not have a bolt sticking out here. Its not inline with the leaf strings so i don't think its for under-rider traction bars. Its too far forward to be the drain for the fastback vents. Im about to chop it off with the angle grinder and grind it smooth. What is this thing?

20180707_115920.jpg

20180707_115947.jpg

20180707_115955.jpg

20180707_115929.jpg

1965 Mustang fastback - 351w (Ebrock perf 750, Ebrock perf intake Trick Flow track heats, JBA shorties), T-5z, 9in (Eaton Truetrac, 3.70)
mustangtyson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
LeeFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,408
I've got a 65 fastback and don't have a bolt like that sticking through the underside of the car. Strange.



I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
LeeFred is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: sw. florida ,port charlotte
Posts: 4,545
Aftermarkeet seat belt bolt? Any thing inside in that area? Wes
mustang656man is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtyson View Post
I have a 65 mustang fastback and there is this crazy bolt sticking out of the bottom of the car on the left side. I cant figure our what it could possible be for. Is it stock? The other side of the car does not have a bolt sticking out here. Its not inline with the leaf strings so i don't think its for under-rider traction bars. Its too far forward to be the drain for the fastback vents. Im about to chop it off with the angle grinder and grind it smooth. What is this thing?
I'd pull the sill plate and look under the carpet and see if there is the head of a bolt on the inside of the car. Check the passenger side and see if there is any evidence that there once was one. Looks like it was used to hang something from under the car, like side exit exhaust. The washers stacked up to keep a bracket from pressing up against the pinch weld?

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
69GT350H is online now  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mustangtyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 75
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
I'd pull the sill plate and look under the carpet and see if there is the head of a bolt on the inside of the car. Check the passenger side and see if there is any evidence that there once was one. Looks like it was used to hang something from under the car, like side exit exhaust. The washers stacked up to keep a bracket from pressing up against the pinch weld?
There is nothing poking through on the inside of the car. I have my hand in the two pictures in line with where the bolt is on the under side. The bad welding i did to fix rust. You can ignore that, its not in the same location.

20180707_122430.jpg

20180707_122424.jpg

1965 Mustang fastback - 351w (Ebrock perf 750, Ebrock perf intake Trick Flow track heats, JBA shorties), T-5z, 9in (Eaton Truetrac, 3.70)
mustangtyson is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
geicoman58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 1,973
side exhaust hanger in a prior life?
geicoman58 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mustangtyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 75
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
Check the passenger side and see if there is any evidence that there once was one.
Ah ha! I found something. On the right side of the car there is a hole in the exact place as the bolt on the drivers side. The hole has some deformation on it like it was created by a self taping screw.

20180707_123624.jpg

20180707_123614.jpg

Should i remove the bolt and weld both of these holes closed and smooth?

1965 Mustang fastback - 351w (Ebrock perf 750, Ebrock perf intake Trick Flow track heats, JBA shorties), T-5z, 9in (Eaton Truetrac, 3.70)
mustangtyson is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtyson View Post
There is nothing poking through on the inside of the car. I have my hand in the two pictures in line with where the bolt is on the under side. The bad welding i did to fix rust. You can ignore that, its not in the same location.
I was told by the PO that mine once had side pipes. When I stripped the interior down I did find this:



VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
69GT350H is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtyson View Post
Ah ha! I found something. On the right side of the car there is a hole in the exact place as the bolt on the drivers side. The hole has some deformation on it like it was created by a self taping screw.

Attachment 674896

Attachment 674898

Should i remove the bolt and weld both of these holes closed and smooth?
I'm not as familiar with the 65, but I'd guess that would be the proper route to take. Looks like the holes are up into the seam sealer so you can cover the welds up with more of that on the bottom side.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
69GT350H is online now  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,185
Garage
Welded mine up from the inside so I did not have a bump on the bottom. Not going to feel the little bumps on the inside once the underlayment and carpet are down.


VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
69GT350H is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: far east north corner of Texas
Posts: 6,595
Garage
Those were probably threaded to take a threaded stud with no head on it.


Side exit exhaust hanger here too but we can only guess.


65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 07-07-2018 at 02:43 PM.
macstang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome