429 CJ and original top loader 71' cyclone - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hemikiller

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

429 CJ and original top loader 71' cyclone

My uncle is pulling the 71' cyclone 429 CJ and toploader out of his 73' mach 1 in order to install a stroker 460 and a c6. He hit me up about the value of the motor/trans. I'm not a big follower of the 385 engine family. The motor looks to be bone stock original right down to the grease. Cranking compression was 150 psi on the gauge which was surprising, starts, runs well, not pretty to look at. Anyway, any 429 guys out there have any idea on a number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson68 View Post
My uncle is pulling the 71' cyclone 429 CJ and toploader out of his 73' mach 1 in order to install a stroker 460 and a c6. He hit me up about the value of the motor/trans. I'm not a big follower of the 385 engine family. The motor looks to be bone stock original right down to the grease. Cranking compression was 150 psi on the gauge which was surprising, starts, runs well, not pretty to look at. Anyway, any 429 guys out there have any idea on a number?

Does it have the original heads, intake and carb?

1973 Mustang Convertible
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

All there, all original.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Its worth more than the 460 at least. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't get his thinking on that swap unless the 429 is not in as good of shape as suggested.

edit - even though the 460 is stroked, it just seems the 429 with the same amount of money spent on it would be worth much more. But that said I'm thinking a 429 CJ with a top-loader with it, in good rebuildable shape, air-cleaner to pan, would be worth around $4 - $6K at least, more to the right buyer if its just needing re-sealed. Any chance it has the external oil-cooler and is an SCJ?

Finally old enough to drive the car I want instead of the one I need.

Last edited by uncledoodoo; 07-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledoodoo View Post
Its worth more than the 460 at least. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't get his thinking on that swap unless the 429 is not in as good of shape as suggested.

edit - even though the 460 is stroked, it just seems the 429 with the same amount of money spent on it would be worth much more. But that said I'm thinking a 429 CJ with a top-loader with it, in good rebuildable shape, air-cleaner to pan, would be worth around $4 - $6K at least, more to the right buyer if its just needing re-sealed. Any chance it has the external oil-cooler and is an SCJ?
Assumed that he could recoup a significant portion of his investment in the 460 stroker, rather than butcher an original 429CJ powertrain? I think he's correct and made a smart move. 385 series blocks are a dime a dozen to build a hi performance engine out of, not so with original 429CJ engines.

$4k ~ $6K seems about right, possibly more. Personally, I'd give it a mild cleanup and leave it alone if it's relatively untouched, as the purists will want to see the factory paint marks and tags.
Rorin67 likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Assumed that he could recoup a significant portion of his investment in the 460 stroker, rather than butcher an original 429CJ powertrain? I think he's correct and made a smart move. 385 series blocks are a dime a dozen to build a hi performance engine out of, not so with original 429CJ engines.

$4k ~ $6K seems about right, possibly more. Personally, I'd give it a mild cleanup and leave it alone if it's relatively untouched, as the purists will want to see the factory paint marks and tags.

+1 a rebuildable CJ quadrajet carb alone is worth $1200 bucks. Do you have the rev limiter?

1973 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page