14" or 15" styled steel wheels and CSRP disc brakes - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By new1966

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

14" or 15" styled steel wheels and CSRP disc brakes

I've searched and read a lot of threads about this, but still have some questions.

1966 Mustang C code - new stock Eaton Springs all the way around. Stock ride height suspension with no Shelby drop.

I was about to order 14" styled steel wheels from Coker Tire with 205/70/14 tires and told them that I recently installed the CSRP K/H 4 piston kit. They said the 14" Specialty Wheel brand they sell will not fit the K/H style disc brakes. I have manual steering - so I wasn't sure about upgrading to 15" wheels and a 215 tire.

Will Scott Drake 14" styled steel wheels fit over the K/H OEM style kit?

If I did upgrade to 15" styled steel wheels - then I should go with a 15" x 7" rim with 4.25" back spacing and a 215/60/15 tire? Coker was recommending a 15" x 6" rim with 4" back spacing and a 215/70/15 tire. I'm not interested in tire rub or rolling the fenders. Trying to keep the car mostly stock.

I drive it about 2000 miles a year mostly around town.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
If the wheels are made to OEM specs they will fit the K/H brakes.

Regards,
Patrick
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM

I know for a fact that factory 14" Styled Steel Wheels will fit over the KH brakes so as ps says, is the SD 14" SSW an exact copy of the factory wheel?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I know for a fact that factory 14" Styled Steel Wheels will fit over the KH brakes so as ps says, is the SD 14" SSW an exact copy of the factory wheel?
I called NPD and they sell the 1966 14" Scott Drake styled steel wheels - they don't think there should be an issue with OEM style disc brake interference. I'm surprised that the 14" Specialty Wheels won't fit. Was hoping to get a kit that was ready to install - mounted and balanced.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Order wheels, centers, and lug nuts from NPD. Go to Costco.com and order tires. Five days later take wheels to Costco for mounting and balancing...kit ready to install.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
Order wheels, centers, and lug nuts from NPD. Go to Costco.com and order tires. Five days later take wheels to Costco for mounting and balancing...kit ready to install.
I was starting to think the same thing. The prices for the tires are pretty good at Costco and it's just down the street from me.

Thanks!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:42 PM

I ordered 14" styled steel wheels with 205/70-14 dual redlines from Coker about seven years ago. I had to grind just a smidge of the caliper to prevent some minimal rubbing on my front disks (SSBC).

I am not sure who NPD sources their wheels from, but it may be worthwhile asking. I had a heck of a time getting the Coker wheels balanced (hub centric) and they still aren't right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike306 View Post
I ordered 14" styled steel wheels with 205/70-14 dual redlines from Coker about seven years ago. I had to grind just a smidge of the caliper to prevent some minimal rubbing on my front disks (SSBC).

I am not sure who NPD sources their wheels from, but it may be worthwhile asking. I had a heck of a time getting the Coker wheels balanced (hub centric) and they still aren't right.

NPD sells the Scott Drake Wheels (at least the 1966, 14" x 5" are Scott Drakes). I have a good installer near me that can problem solve, if the wheels aren't too bad. The Drake wheels seem to get as good, if not better reviews than wheels from Coker (Specialty Wheels). I was hoping to have Coker mount and balance the wheels - assume they would get it correct?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

If my memory isn't failing me, Scott Drake felt confident that their production processes allowed for fairly accurate hub-centric balancing. That said, I would always recommend lug-centric with a reproduction steel wheel, because the tolerances involved for hub-centric must be so difficult to nail perfectly.

We've historically considered the Drake 65-67 styled steel wheels to be the "premium" choice. The paint colors are right, the detail on the backside of the wheels are right, and the overall quality is great.

Rick
NPD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
If my memory isn't failing me, Scott Drake felt confident that their production processes allowed for fairly accurate hub-centric balancing. That said, I would always recommend lug-centric with a reproduction steel wheel, because the tolerances involved for hub-centric must be so difficult to nail perfectly.

We've historically considered the Drake 65-67 styled steel wheels to be the "premium" choice. The paint colors are right, the detail on the backside of the wheels are right, and the overall quality is great.

Rick
NPD

Thanks, Rick! I've consistently heard the Drake Styled Steel Wheels are the best made today. Also, good to know they're made to original specs. I look forward to having them on my car soon.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Garage
I don't remember what brand my SSW were when I got them, they are 15x7, and the hubs wouldn't go on the old Granada front discs I had on. And after switching to a set of '65 GT350 front discs, those hubs needed a slight shaving to fit. A test fit might be a good idea. Especially since it seems like there's some decent variation in how they're made.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I don't remember what brand my SSW were when I got them, they are 15x7, and the hubs wouldn't go on the old Granada front discs I had on. And after switching to a set of '65 GT350 front discs, those hubs needed a slight shaving to fit. A test fit might be a good idea. Especially since it seems like there's some decent variation in how they're made.
Thanks! Going to do a test fit before we mount any tires. I'm hoping everything fits as the CSRP brakes fit fine under my original 14" steel wheels. In theory the new 14" Drake wheels should fit over the CSRP brakes, if the wheels are made to original specs. Will post some pictures once I get the wheels on and or report back if there's any fitment issues.
DrHawkeye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page