6Likes
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 2 Post By 2nd 66
  • 1 Post By BW66
  • 1 Post By GT350HR

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Which intake gasket

So, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I have a 66 c-code with a 289 that seems to be original. However, the intake manifold was changed to an a-code/hipo intake and Edelbrock 1406. I want to remove the intake to clean it up and paint it. I am assuming I need the hipo intake manifold gasket but want to confirm this before I order a set. So, do I need the hipo gasket or the regular gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 PM

There’s no difference. The difference between the K code motor and the A&C code has more to do with high rpm durability. The K code head would have beefier valve spring pockets and screw in rocker arm studs. The intake, exhaust ports and valves are identical as well as the combustion chamber.
Bill Fraley likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
There’s no difference. The difference between the K code motor and the A&C code has more to do with high rpm durability. The K code head would have beefier valve spring pockets and screw in rocker arm studs. The intake, exhaust ports and valves are identical as well as the combustion chamber.
That's what I thought but then I saw some gaskets listed as not for HiPo or Boss. Thought maybe I missed something. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Boss is a different hoss. Totally different heads, totally.
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Boss is a different hoss. Totally different heads, totally.
I definitely get that. It was listed as not for HiPo or Boss. Was there a HiPo that was different between 65 to 70 other than an A or K code?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Intake gasket would be a standard SBF intake gasket.the carb gasket would be a standard SBF 4V carb gasket
Huskinhano and Bill Fraley like this.

Brad
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Garage
I think the only difference between HIPO and standard 4V is the HIPO gasket has no opening in the center for the heat riser. (I guess you call it a Heat riser) I bought a set of HIPOs from Rock auto and it had no opening in the center, No putting that plug or piece of gasket in, That they give you.
Bill Fraley likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Bill , I think this is a case of semantics. In this scenario high performance refers to "higher performance" or ported heads , not "289 high performance". Just as Huskinhano said there is NO difference in the size of the port openings or valve sizes between a "low performance head" anf the K code heads. ALL production intake gaskets for the 289's had openings for the heat riser. "Aftermarket" racing intake gaskets (at first) had thin metal plates that were used to block off the heat riser. Modern performance intake gaskets are simply blank ( no hole) in that area. Performance gaskets are not needed on non ported heads , there is no advantage at all.
Randy
Bill Fraley likes this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered standard intake and 4v carb gaskets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page