Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Georgia Car Titles

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  kclark 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a Georgia car title requires a Notary signature? Looking at buying a car in Georgia, I'm in North Carolina. NC titles require a Notary. I've bought cars from Indiana and New Jersey with no problems. The problem with this sell is I may not be able to make the trip. I was going to send a buddy to pay the seller and bring the car back but wasn't sure about signatures.

#2 ·
I don't think so, From what I know of Georgia...They are pretty loose with their DMV laws as compared with other states.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#3 ·
I haven't needed to get a title and/or bill of sale notarized in years. My most recent purchase of an older car was this May. Its newly issued title doesn't have a place for a notary signature, however I do have a GA title issued in 1969 for one of my cars that does have a notary signature field and it is notarized. Likely there will be no issue, but you might inquire with your DMV as you never know what they'll say if it's an older GA title with the notary field and the field is blank.

#5 ·
"I haven't needed to get a title and/or bill of sale notarized in years."

See. Told 'Ya..

:eek:)

Tony K.

#6 ·
GA doesn't do notary on the titles, but I would think this would depend more on NC law and how they handle out of state titles. Their site (https://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/title-transfers.php) says notarized by all owners, but it doesn't seem to be talking specifically about buying an out of state car - just buying a car or transferring a car you already own to NC (which might be what applies?).

Best bet would be to call the NC DMV (fun I'm sure) and ask.

#8 ·
When I registered my Mustang here, I asked about this. They said a notary is only required if the title has a spot for it. So get a copy of the front & back of the title to make sure.

I wouldn't buy a car without a title here in NC...you have to go through a bunch of steps including getting a bond to get a NC title for it.

#9 ·
I live in PA which requires a notary. I use to live in N.J. which doesn’t. I have transferred tittles from N.J. to PA and PA did not require a notary on the N.J. title. I would suspect the same would be the case for you. If GA doesn’t require it and NC does for in state cars, I would think you’ll not be required for the out of state non notary title

#10 ·
Like previously mentioned Georgia doesnt require a title paste 85ish i think there is a 25 year limit. So if you are looking for a vintage mustang 95% of them in georgia wont have a title and all required to register it is a bill of sale. However since you will be registering it in NC you will have to follow NC registration laws.

Georgia titles do not need a notary. its just the seller and buyers signature.

#11 ·
Just as stated above, the car is a 1965 model and owner does not have a Georgia title for it and can only do a Bill of Sale and a SR-22 form for transfer of liability. So I have to figure out if it is worth the hassle or not to "buy" a car without a Georgia title. I know if he had a title it would go very smooth as I have done several in the past but none without a title.

#16 ·
UPDATE!!!

I spoke to the DMV and having no Georgia title didn't phase the tag/title office. I was told to have the Bill of Sale to me notarized. Also have a copy of the sale from the previous owner to the seller. If that is not available, 3 years of registration papers would work. (You have to show that the seller has the right to sell it as in they own it). Fortunately, he still has the bill of sale from the previous owner to him. So now, if I buy it which looks very possible at this point all I need is a notarized bill of sale.

#18 ·
Nothing wrong with it at all. Unless you wanted a fast car, then you'll need to make some changes. But that 6 is a very solid, reliable engine. Try it for a while and see if you like it. You can always dig into your wallet for speed upgrades later.

MrFreeze

Reactions: Bill Fraley
#22 ·
^^^^^ +1

the ford 200 ci inline 6 may not get a lot of love in the HP dept. but it makes up for it in toughness. My folks had a '66 Fairlane w/ the inline 6 that was my driver in high school (when I wasn't grounded). I tried on many occasions to blow the engine up. My 16 year old thinking was, blow up the 6 and then talk my parents into getting a 289 V-8 as a replacement. Of course, 51 years later I realize that they would've been less than receptive to any advice I would have after I blew up the family transportation.... But the inline 6 would not blow up. It was good up to 105 mph and it would just stay there, seemingly forever with no trouble doing so.

;)

Z

#23 ·
Here is another question for the everyone with more knowledge than I. The car I'm looking at has data plate with the following:

Body 65A Color J Trim 25 Date 04A DSO 33 Axle 1 Trans 6

Warranty Number
5F07T624255

If I am ready it correctly, the build date is January 04, 1965
But serial number is 624255

I thought the serial numbers started over each year. That number is waaaay to high and impossible for the 4th day of the year. Any thoughts???

#24 ·
Production started in early 64 with 100001 and all those produced in 64 were 65 model year, so by January of 65 is it plausible ford could have built over 500k mustangs in a little less than a year?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.