I have some junk in my trunk????????? Pictures - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I have some junk in my trunk????????? Pictures

The ongoing saga continues with my mystery 66 Fastback. These are bolted to the floor in my trunk, does anyone have any idea what they are and do I need them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box1.jpg (74.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg box2.jpg (94.7 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg box 3.jpg (92.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg box 4.jpg (90.8 KB, 147 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 PM

They look like components for a stereo amplifier. Subwoofer amp maybe?

Kyle
fbovi1 likes this.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
I am pretty positive they are amp's for a car stereo. To answer your question, no, you don't need them as long as you don't want the stereo to function the way it probably does now.
fbovi1 likes this.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM

It's all about that bass! I assume
Huskinhano and gt350sr like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Garage
Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 amplifier and I believe the other piece is a crossover. Unless you want to put some subwoofers (or already have them) in the trunk for a crazy amount of bass, you don’t need them. Assuming the amp works you could maybe sell it. If you do want bass keep it and get a box with some subs, or if you want bass but cleaner looking, since it looks like you’ve already got the wiring, you could check this out: https://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-a...1968/p/SPKBSD/

Edit: actually looking close at your first pic looks like you’ve got subs on the back of the seat too. If you like the way it sounds, keep it (maybe clean up the install some). If you don’t care about booming tunes, rip it all out and see if you can sell it.
Huntingky and fbovi1 like this.

1968 Coupe, 289 / 4 Speed, Her name is Penelope, Penny for short

Last edited by jomotopia; 07-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Whats weird is, there are speakers in the back that don't seem to work, only the speaker in the dash
Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbovi1 View Post
Whats weird is, there are speakers in the back that don't seem to work, only the speaker in the dash
There may be an inline fuse somewhere before the amp that is blown, or the pre amp output on the back of the head unit may be disconnected. Or the previous owner kept the nice head unit and replaced it with one without a pre amp and left the stuff in the trunk. Or the amp is blown. Canít remember for sure from way back when I had one of these amps but there might also be a fuse under the cover of it that could be blown. Or the speakers are blown. Or thereís something wrong with the wiring. Lol.
fbovi1 likes this.

1968 Coupe, 289 / 4 Speed, Her name is Penelope, Penny for short
Old 07-29-2018, 09:40 PM

If that amp works it probably booms if the trunk is the enclosure for the subs. Other issue is its a convertible so the well liner doesn't deal off the subs. Not a good design for tight well defined bass. I installed stuff like this in the 80s. The small block is a fuse holder that heavy gauge wire probably runs to the front of the car to the solenoid battery positive side. I pray the fused that wire up front or its a fire waiting to happen. Trace that heavy red gauge wire and see where it goes. If u are not going to use the subwoofers, disconnect that wire wherever it connects to power of its not fused
fbovi1 likes this.

1967 Convertible, 302, 4spd, AC, PS, work in progress
Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 PM

Ps. I didn't install subs like this without a box. I meant to say I installed car audio.
fbovi1 likes this.

1967 Convertible, 302, 4spd, AC, PS, work in progress
Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomotopia View Post
Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 amplifier and I believe the other piece is a crossover. Unless you want to put some subwoofers (or already have them) in the trunk for a crazy amount of bass, you donít need them. Assuming the amp works you could maybe sell it. If you do want bass keep it and get a box with some subs, or if you want bass but cleaner looking, since it looks like youíve already got the wiring, you could check this out: https://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-a...1968/p/SPKBSD/

Edit: actually looking close at your first pic looks like youíve got subs on the back of the seat too. If you like the way it sounds, keep it (maybe clean up the install some). If you donít care about booming tunes, rip it all out and see if you can sell it.
I have the subwoofers noted here from CJ Pony Parts. I really like them and they donít take up much space.

Allen
fbovi1 likes this.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
It could simply be that the rear speakers seem not to work because the Front/Rear blend is turned all the to the front.
fbovi1 likes this.

67 Fastback, 289, 10.5 comp., H-pipe, Mild Cam,
Edel 1403, C4, PS, PDB, Shelby Drop, GT Coils/Sway Bar

Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 AM

That is a subwoofer amp, along with a power distribution block ( the see-through block). In picture one, it appears you have some subwoofers mounted facing the back seat. If you follow the bigger power cable out of the dist block to the front of the car, you will probably find it is attached to battery side of the starter solenoid. Typically it is fused there so if the amp is not functional, it may have a blown fuse.

If you like your audio with a little extra oomph, I would look into getting this up and running and clean up the installation a little. If not, and would prefer a standard audio system, you can remove all of that. Hope this helps.

Added: If you could post additional pictures of the speaker area, we could tell you a bit more about that setup. It could also be a regular amplifier to drive 6x9 speakers mounted in the back. Difficult to say with these pictures..

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com

Last edited by dbenichou289; 07-30-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
He more than likely disabled them because of the deafening cacophony.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM

What kind of head unit is in the dash? If its old it might not even be in the loop, as in if I ever get another nice AM radio it will go in the dash and run the dash speaker and the amp will be fed by an MP3 or phone.
Those 2 black cables going into the wheel well by the fat red wire look like the RCA leads, trace them down, they might end behind the radio, might not.
From the PDB I see 1 red wire going to the amp but the other red wire is going to the other side for something
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Here are additional pictures. Apparently these are 3-way Kenwood speakers, can I just disconnect these other components all I need are the 6x9's and the dash speaker. The stereo is an Alpine. I wish the previous owner atleast would have attempted to keep something close to original in this car. Whats the deal with all these loose wires??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenwood KFC-S696.jpg (94.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg both speakers.jpg (95.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1 speaker.jpg (93.4 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in