best 65/66 rear glass mouldings - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

best 65/66 rear glass mouldings

I am restoring a 66 fastback and time has come to get the rear window mouldings. I know its best to use original for good fitment,but most used ones available have small dents in them. Does anybody have experience with the aftermarket ones available? Are some brands better than others? I have reinstalled many on previous fastbacks and I have never damaged them,so I know the install procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
If they just have small dents, get a trim anvil and hammer and tap them out then polish.
gt350sr and 4ocious like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
If they just have small dents, get a trim anvil and hammer and tap them out then polish.

I believe our own Kelly_H has gone into business restoring stainless window trim. She practiced on her own '66 Fastback's (Jane) trim. She'll probably see this soon and respond.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby289s View Post
I am restoring a 66 fastback and time has come to get the rear window mouldings. I know its best to use original for good fitment,but most used ones available have small dents in them. Does anybody have experience with the aftermarket ones available? Are some brands better than others? I have reinstalled many on previous fastbacks and I have never damaged them,so I know the install procedure.
I replaced mine a couple years ago with the best ones from CJs. Don't remember if they were Scott Drake, but if they had them, I woulda bought those. They haven't caused me any problems, and I still have the originals should I need them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
I recently replaced my 67 coupe front trim with the best repro trim on NPD. Then I went back and found the original parts I was missing and had the whole set of original trim cleaned up with dents removed, then polished. The results are way better than the repro trim. I didn't try rear window repros, I just stuck with original for that.

You can see some pictures on my blog here: https://bapony.com/2018/01/18/back-t...l-window-trim/ For my next project, I won't be spending money on anything but original (including time for dent removal and polishing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page