Not Happy with Custom Autosound USA 1 Radio - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Not Happy with Custom Autosound USA 1 Radio

Hi Everyone I have an 1968 Mustang with a center console and I purchased a Custom Autosound USA 1 for this car which also installs to the center console but I am not happy with it at all most times while I am playing the radio the sound tends to gradually mute and comeback but last week it completaly muted and not playing at all I want to purchase a new good quality radio for my 68 mustang which can play mp3 as well it can be factory or custom made can you please recommend me some vendors and models please ı also hear that there are some people which can take the old radio and modify it with a new radio but It can also be a factory made new radio for 68 mustang thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Could it be getting too hot? Is there enough air circulation around the amp?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Does anyone ever have long term success using Custom Autosound products?
arbys likes this.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:18 PM

What you are describing is entirely normal for CAS radios. They are complete garbage, from top to bottom and on all sides. It's regrettable you didn't do a search on this forum before buying one. But now you know to avoid them in the future.

I have a Retrosound radio in my '66 fastback that sounds okay, works as it should, plays MP3s, and fits the stock hole. You might see what they offer for '68s.

Since (I think) the '68 radio opening is bigger than than '65-'66, you may have other, even better options. Posting here was a good move - someone will know, and hopefully chime in.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

PS - someone may chime in saying that "the latest generation of CAS radios are okay, they have fixed all the problems." Don't believe them. I have been hearing that same BS for 20 years.
gwstang and hsvtoolfool like this.

"When a woman is a really good driver, she is just about perfect."

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Garage
I agree with MrFreeze, I had a Custom Autosound in my 66 for quite a few years. The left side speakers would work intermittently, sometimes turning up the volume quickly would make them spring back to life for another 10 minutes. Later, the volume control frequently did nothing when turning either direction. Now I have a Retrosound Long Beach and I'm quite happy. My old iPhone lives in the car to play podcasts, I can also listen to the newer phone and take/make calls via bluetooth.

___
JeffH

66 Coupe, 302-4V, SROD
(had to create new username when I changed email address)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:49 PM

I donít have any firsthand experience with them, but Iíve never heard anything positive about custom autosound. So when I was researching radios I decide to go with the retrosound.

Iíve been very happy with it and the hands free has exceeded my expectations.

Iíd toss the cas and get a retrosound.

Note, if you have a 68 with a console, you will need different knobs than what are usually supplied. Give them a call and they will help you get the right part numbers

69 XR-7 408w, FiTech, TKO-600
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:09 PM

I'll agree with the above. I had a USA 1 unit in my car for years and it was awful. Although it never quit on me, it was nearly impossible to tune between left and right balance and front and rear fader.

I replaced it with a retrosound unit, RSRD30 if I remember correctly. It had everything I wanted; usb, bluetooth, and an aux jack. If you want something that looks like the original AM radio, I think retrosound makes one of those too.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:41 PM

My 66 came with a CAS 740 something and it has worked well. The sound is good and the controls are easy IMO. Not sure if it is because its the top model they offer or not, but it works well in my case. I have a short antenna and still have no issues tuning stations.

I did have an issue when I added the front kick panel speakers. I had inadvertently shorted one of the wires. I had no sound at all at that point. It seems the amp in these units are highly sensitive to ohm load and try to protect themselves.

If I were going to buy one myself I would probably avoid this brand based on what others have said.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arto Sevan Oksayan View Post
Hi Everyone I have an 1968 Mustang with a center console and I purchased a Custom Autosound USA 1 for this car which also installs to the center console but I am not happy with it at all most times while I am playing the radio the sound tends to gradually mute and comeback but last week it completaly muted and not playing at all I want to purchase a new good quality radio for my 68 mustang which can play mp3 as well it can be factory or custom made can you please recommend me some vendors and models please ı also hear that there are some people which can take the old radio and modify it with a new radio but It can also be a factory made new radio for 68 mustang thanks
I've got a CAS in my wife's '68. (Secretaudio generation 1)
I actually works very well, HOWEVER you would have to use the car everyday
as a daily driver to keep the battery charged because there is a pretty major
current drain caused by the CAS memory.
With 6 other cars, half of them much newer, we don't drive the '68 that much,
so the current drain is damning and the CAS system is disconnected.
That's about the most positive thing I can say about them.

Retrosound would probably be the replacement setup for us, if I was going
to fix the situation. There also are other guys out there doing similar stuff.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Arto,

Take a look at the following video and the website that follows. It is supposed to be a good conversion, but I have no personal experience with the company.
Good luck!
https://youtu.be/JES4Pxc1Uz8

Radio Conversion
InOverMyHead likes this.

67 S-Code GT "almost ready" for prime-time.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:03 PM
RV6

Mine took a [email protected] in one month. Not worth the money.

Gary
Pine, CO
1967 Coupe, 289-4V, T-5
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Thumbup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH13 View Post
I agree with MrFreeze, I had a Custom Autosound in my 66 for quite a few years. The left side speakers would work intermittently, sometimes turning up the volume quickly would make them spring back to life for another 10 minutes. Later, the volume control frequently did nothing when turning either direction. Now I have a Retrosound Long Beach and I'm quite happy. My old iPhone lives in the car to play podcasts, I can also listen to the newer phone and take/make calls via bluetooth.
I second the Retrosound long beach model.
It has the old school look with the more modern features.

1965 Rangoon Red Convertible

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much everyone your thoughts really helped me to decide I will get the retrosound and be done with it thanks a lot
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold69 View Post
I second the Retrosound long beach model.
It has the old school look with the more modern features.
I agree. For 68 you can choose with or without console pad, OEM style knobs, and even a screen overlay to make it look more "period".

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 08-12-2018 at 07:06 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM

also not very happy with my cas unit. it randomly doesn't want to come on and has a 10mA current drain. don't know if that's a lot for this type of unit but i've learned to use a battery tender which i didn't have to do before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page