While changing Valve stem seals ..... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs Up While changing Valve stem seals .....

Folks,

While I was changing my valve stem seals (with the help from my buddy) we started talking Roller Rocker arms.
While keeping everything else stock (valvetrain) I decided to go for :

https://www.jegs.com/i/PRW/228/0330204/10002/-1

Which I paid (shipped and all - $139 :-) ) ....

with that being said, do you guys have any advice, anything I should look for before going in for the install ? Anyone done this (I suspect yes). Any issues you guys had ? etc.

thanks again !

'68 Wimbledon White on Parchment Int. Console Coupe 289 4v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM

Garage
This may sound like I am raining on your parade and to a degree, I am. What are you hoping to accomplish with this "upgrade"?

IMHO, unless you are installing transparent valve covers, no one will see the bling;
Unless you are winding the crap out of your engine, and even then, I am unclear what performance improvement you might enjoy;
At this price point, I have the impression that the parts are likely low quality imports and may be more prone to failure than higher quality parts.
Pushrod geometry might need attention;
If you do not already have screw in rocker studs, that might be needed/a good idea

Engine upgrades must work well together if you expect to see a tangible improvement in performance. Throwing random parts at an engine without a specif goal/plan is often a disappointment. What is your overall plan for this engine?
Blues Power and Woodchuck like this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
This may sound like I am raining on your parade and to a degree, I am. What are you hoping to accomplish with this "upgrade"?

IMHO, unless you are installing transparent valve covers, no one will see the bling;
Unless you are winding the crap out of your engine, and even then, I am unclear what performance improvement you might enjoy;
At this price point, I have the impression that the parts are likely low quality imports and may be more prone to failure than higher quality parts.
Pushrod geometry might need attention;
If you do not already have screw in rocker studs, that might be needed/a good idea

Engine upgrades must work well together if you expect to see a tangible improvement in performance. Throwing random parts at an engine without a specif goal/plan is often a disappointment. What is your overall plan for this engine?
I appreciate the opinion. Being on a budget i'm doing this in a phased approach and I realise some might disagree (and that's ok) on what is being done and in the order. The cam will come soon enough and heads when the time is right ($$). For now, and at that price it was a no brainer. I disagree on the low quality imports (from what I read they are USA made parts).

Plan is to make more powerful with upgrades here and there. It's a street car afterall and it remains a 289 :-)

thanks again.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Just be sure to follow the exact procedure for lifter preload and tightening the rockers.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash View Post
Just be sure to follow the exact procedure for lifter preload and tightening the rockers.
Yup- that's all going to be done :-)

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM

If the attached link is for the rockers you ordered, those are a 1.7 ratio rockers for 3/8'' studs self aligning for use without guide plates. Seems like an odd configuration considering if you're going to have the heads machined for 3/8'' studs you would also have the machining done for guide plates too. You'll need taller than stock valve covers too.
j persons likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Correct me if I'm wrong .. but why would I want to machine anything for 3/8 studs when that's what I have now... also don't think I will need taller cov

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph68Coupe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong .. but why would I want to machine anything for 3/8 studs when that's what I have now... also don't think I will need taller cov
Ah, you're right about 3/8''. Was thinking 7/16'' for some reason, maybe because of the 1.7 ratio. I think most have had rocker to stock rocker arm cover interference when switching to rollers, especially with the 1.7 ratio. Might want to check before firing it up.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Also, don't think those will work with a non-adjustable valve train so you're right back to machining for screw in studs.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Garage
You don't mention any information such as the year and type of heads you have.

So a few things, you will need screw in studs, Your may need taller studs for the locknuts since usually roller rockers take up more stud length than stock bathtub style rockers. If you do need longer screw in studs then you may need taller valve covers. The higher rocker ratio will change the rocker tip geometry so check that, if its not centered then a longer pushrod will be needed.

The link you provided had some conflicting info in it? It mentions that pushrod guide plates are included but it shows self aligning tips? Usually you buy self aligning tips when you don't want to use guide plates. Besides you can't use stock pushrods with guide plates, you need to use hard pushrod's.

It also listed the rockers at $242.00 plus shipping so it sounds like you paid a good price. Depending on your cam you will see 5-10 hp near the top RPM, again not sure if you have a stock cam so you may not even push it over 5k RPM so expect very little improved performance for possibly a lot of effort. If you already purchased the rockers then I say have fun with it... you have to start somewhere!
69GT350H likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 AM

Garage
The place to check for valve cover clearance is the baffle under the pcv valve. I have to use double valve cover gaskets for my roller rockers to clear.
69GT350H likes this.

65 fastback, A code, 4 speed, 289, mild cam, aluminum heads, roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM manifold, Holly 650, frame connectors, 9" locking rear, front disc brakes, traction master traction bars.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-1/2 first.... 66 now View Post
Ah, you're right about 3/8''. Was thinking 7/16'' for some reason, maybe because of the 1.7 ratio. I think most have had rocker to stock rocker arm cover interference when switching to rollers, especially with the 1.7 ratio. Might want to check before firing it up.
Def will make sure things clear ... :-)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinturbofan View Post
The place to check for valve cover clearance is the baffle under the pcv valve. I have to use double valve cover gaskets for my roller rockers to clear.
Ya I figured that would cause me some pain , Wonder if the baffle is 'dentable' somehow

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budstoy View Post
You don't mention any information such as the year and type of heads you have.

So a few things, you will need screw in studs, Your may need taller studs for the locknuts since usually roller rockers take up more stud length than stock bathtub style rockers. If you do need longer screw in studs then you may need taller valve covers. The higher rocker ratio will change the rocker tip geometry so check that, if its not centered then a longer pushrod will be needed.

The link you provided had some conflicting info in it? It mentions that pushrod guide plates are included but it shows self aligning tips? Usually you buy self aligning tips when you don't want to use guide plates. Besides you can't use stock pushrods with guide plates, you need to use hard pushrod's.

It also listed the rockers at $242.00 plus shipping so it sounds like you paid a good price. Depending on your cam you will see 5-10 hp near the top RPM, again not sure if you have a stock cam so you may not even push it over 5k RPM so expect very little improved performance for possibly a lot of effort. If you already purchased the rockers then I say have fun with it... you have to start somewhere!
from what I saw on their website (PRW) I won't need guide plates therefore I won't need screw in studs - correct ? New at this so the questions might come to some as being ridiculous

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

You don’t need guidepplates with self aligning rockers, but you do need a screw in stud because the rockers are stud mount, and depending on what you have, you could have pedestal mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page