How to use 10 quarts when changing oil - Vintage Mustang Forums
 31Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

How to use 10 quarts when changing oil

It was easy, don't check old filter to make sure rubber gasket is not still on the engine. Cranked it up for about 30 seconds and shut it off to check the level on the stick. There was a lava flow of about 3 quarts coming from under the car.

Lesson learned
aslan, gwstang, gimpystoy and 1 others like this.

t
t

69 Fastback, Craft Performance 408 Stroker, CNC Brodix LH 17 210cc Heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 780cfm Carb, MSD Distributor & Coil, Tremec TKO 600, Ram Powergrip Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Powertrax Grip Pro Limited Slip, 31 Spline Axles, GW Frame Connectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank_It_Up View Post
It was easy, don't check old filter to make sure rubber gasket is not still on the engine. Cranked it up for about 30 seconds and shut it off to check the level on the stick. There was a lava flow of about 3 quarts coming from under the car.

Lesson learned
DiD the same thing after draining break in oil from a fresh build. Not my finest moment!
tom991, gimpystoy and Crank_It_Up like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66whitepony View Post
DiD the same thing after draining break in oil from a fresh build. Not my finest moment!
Sadly, I had read about it on this forum but didn't think the old filter came off hard enough to lose the gasket. I never looked. Even worse, I thought something was weird when screwing on the new filter, it turned a lot more after making contact than it should have. But no, brain still didn't kick in, lol.
66whitepony likes this.

t
t

69 Fastback, Craft Performance 408 Stroker, CNC Brodix LH 17 210cc Heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 780cfm Carb, MSD Distributor & Coil, Tremec TKO 600, Ram Powergrip Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Powertrax Grip Pro Limited Slip, 31 Spline Axles, GW Frame Connectors

Last edited by Crank_It_Up; 08-23-2018 at 11:32 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 PM

Garage
Yes, it vomits an amazingly large amount of oil in a surprisingly very short time.

Don't ask me how I know.
66whitepony and Crank_It_Up like this.

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank_It_Up View Post
Sadly, I had read about it on this forum but didn't think the old filter came off hard enough to lose the gasket. I never looked.
I think Iíve seen your car at niftee50ees, or one that looks just like it.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 PM

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt to clean up the mess.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Welcome to the club, brother. I learned that lesson almost 30 years ago but my first clue was the huge cloud of smoke in my rear view.
Crank_It_Up likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:23 AM

haha...ditto here. panic ensued...and then cleanup.
Crank_It_Up likes this.

2012 Boss 302 (Rowdy) - Slowly becoming a track car...not stock
1970 Mustang Sportsroof (Roxy) - 357w roller block, T-5z, Global West Control Arms w/ QA-1's, Vintage Venom Disc Brakes
1966 Mustang Coupe (Rhonda) - 289 2V, PS/PB, Silver Blue
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 AM
Supporting Member

at least you don't use 8+ quarts of oil when you're doing it right, like some cars require (my Jag).

I think EVERYONE, if honest, has a good oil change goof to their credit, if it's not the double gasket on the filter, it's forgetting to put the plug back in the oil pan.

Either way, a big mess.

Z
green1965 likes this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:57 AM

Garage
Everyone does the double gasket dance *once* in their lifetime. Unfortunately, I did it early in my mechanic's career to a mint Toyota Supra - that was a mess.....
Crank_It_Up likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66whitepony View Post
Me too! :-( Only difference was my wife was standing centered on the car with the hood up. Oil shot past her head. Fortunately none got on her else I probably would have had to give up My Mustang or her.
gwstang and Crank_It_Up like this.

Last edited by tom991; 08-24-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Yep seen it. Back when I was a youngin and married to my first wife, my father-n-law stopped by after doing some work on his car. After he left I noticed a trail of oil leaving my drive and tracking up the street. I immediately called him but he was already working on it. He said on his way home he saw a trail of oil in the oncoming lane and thought to himself "Some poor dumb SOB is loosing oil bad". Then has he follow the trail of oil into his own driveway and suddenly his oil light came on and he realized who that poor dumb SOB was! Checked tightness of his drain plug and filter and finally found the old gasket still stuck to block.
Luckily, we only lived a few miles from each other so he made it back before disaster struck.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Knock on wood, but I've haven't had it happen....YET!!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Garage
If it make you feel better, I had an employee come up to me and ask how many quarts of oil should be in a '95 F150 truck. I simply asked 'how many did you put I?'. He said '13 so far and it's not touching the stick'..... We both walked out to the shop where the truck was sitting on the alignment rack. He'd been standing on the rack pumping oil in, so the puddle was under the rack where he didn't see it. We're all familiar with the ford oil pan rust from that era- the front lip of the pan was actually floating in the oil slick! Poor guy spent over 2 hours mopping up the mess, and an eternity being known as 'Valdez'!
Now myself on the other hand....lol- unfortunately I'm a club member too! private 1st class I guess you could say
dobrostang and Crank_It_Up like this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 AM

I'm glad you found it in the garage before you drove it. The clean up part sucks though! Hopefully this will make you feel better:

I did the same thing back when I used to change oil in my DD's. I changed the oil in my 97' Civic one evening and same as you I thought it took a little too many turns on the oil filter to get it tight. Here's the REALLY stupid part, when the oil filter leaked a few drips while running the engine I just gave it another 1/2 turn. Hey, it stopped the leak!

I got up early the next morning and drove 30 miles to the airport on the interstate at 70-75 mph, took a flight to Indianapolis and back, and then drove home. The oil light came on within a mile of the house, but it was late and I was tired so I figured I would check the oil level in the morning. I went outside the next morning and there was a trail of oil out of my garage and down the road. Alarm bells went off when the oil trail stopped about 1 mile from my house!

I did another oil change expecting to get a few drops of oil, a lot of oil shavings and maybe a few small engine parts out of the drain plug. Luckily only oil came out, but I couldn't have filled a coffee mug with it. And not one of those gas station sized coffees either. I'm talking one of those regular size mugs you have up in your kitchen cabinet that your kid got you for Father's Day.

After the oil change I drove the car for a couple days with no problems and figured what the hell, I'll just wait till it blows up and then replace the engine. I ended up driving that car for another 75,000 trouble free miles.
Crank_It_Up likes this.

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car

It's not the day you're born or the day you die that matters. It's every day in between.

Last edited by quik; 08-24-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page