I am frustrated with NPD in Charlotte, N.C. - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 120Likes

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM

As a person who provides services to the public I am disheartened when I see that someone is unhappy with the service or goods we have provided, I get even more disheartened when this person turns it into a personal attack without even contacting us regarding the issue and asking for a resolution.

When my expectations are not met when I make a purchase I will contact the vendor, present my concerns and convey what I would like to be done in order to satisfy me. To get up on a soap box and bash a person, a company, or an industry because of a problem without even offering them to fix your problem is just wrong.

To the OP, I am not accusing you of this in any way, I long ago had a problem with an order I had placed from NPD, Rick was very quick to correct the mistake that I had made and I continue to purchase products as needed from them still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:31 PM

After reading this thread, all I can say is "WOW!" Thanks for your continued interest in our hobby, Rick, and your willingness NOT to sit back and pat yourself on the back, but to get out here with us and fix those problems that arise. It's a big cycle with us helping you and you helping us.
Turnall likes this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Fair comment, and I'd love to explain...

First off, I'll mention that Shawn (NC Manager) had already spoken with the OP, and the replacement radiator was inspected, processed and pulled for Next Day Air Saturday Delivery, before I got a chance to speak to him.

Now to the core of the issue.. Many years ago, right after Al Gore invented the internet , I began making it a priority to review all emails that came over our website myself. Why?? Because I found them both fascinating and educational, and it gave me the opportunity to view raw/unfiltered feedback PRIOR to it getting tossed into the delegated-hierarchy for remedy and/or reply and/or action. Reading emails every morning was the best exercise, a powerful tool, for being able to tangibly see "how NPD was doing", without the potential of employees sweeping matters under rugs or blowing "sunshine up my skirt".

Now, I did not (and I do not) personally tend to every matter. I don't have enough time for that. I read, and I typically delegate accordingly, sometimes providing the delegate with tips or advice on how to handle, other times knowing that I can rely upon the delegate to handle it properly. Real-time, ongoing, training and oversight... It's been the most EFFECTIVE manner that I can continue to infuse/embed my father's ethics and way of doing things into our entire operation, trickling from me to management to sales to warehouse.

And every so often, I'll read a review or a comment regarding product, and the hobbyist/enthusiast/businessman (all of the above) in me thinks "I've gotta see this for myself", and I find myself out in the warehouse looking at parts, taking them over to cars to compare, measuring and photographing, etc... These activities commonly result in emails to suppliers, manufacturers, fixing and improving things that need fixing and improving.. And if I wasn't doing it, I don't know if my (extremely busy) managers would have that kind of time. I have the luxury of not having a boss tell me what I should be doing with my day LOL So I have the latitude to go where I feel I'm needed.

Same thing for this forum. It is educational for me. I get far more from VMF than the members get from me. I get to see how we're doing, how we are viewed and considered, how our competitors are viewed and considered... And when there's a problem with a product, would we have ever found out about it if we didn't stumble upon the thread on VMF?

The positive threads/mentions are gratifying.. But it's the negative ones, be it on service or product, that are MOST valuable. Those afford us the opportunity to fix things that might be either broken, or at least "lapsed".

OK, enough self-gratuitous blabbering. But bottom-line, I'm handling this stuff not because our organization isn't well-trained. It's the opposite. Because my continued involvement, direct involvement, maintains a level of core-ethics, core-knowledge and core-culture throughout the organization. I often asked myself back in the 90's as we got bigger and bigger, with more and more catalogs, "how in the hell do we continue to get bigger without SACRIFICING service and quality and knowledge? At what point do we trade-off being adept at what we do for volume?? How can a sales team sell 125,000 products from 12 different catalogs, and actually be good at it??

Well... That's always been my primary challenge, and that's kind of why I've allowed myself to stay entrenched on the front lines, rather than hiding in my office conjuring up new goofy sales/promotional ideas, going over spreadsheets, and playing online Sudoku LOL..

My dad's goal has always been to "do right by the hobby, for the hobby". He never wanted to sell-out and retire, because he thought that as long as we could continue doing things the way we do it, it was best that we continue..

And luckily, I have a fantastic group here in Corporate, and out at the branches, that allow me to focus on what I feel needs focusing.

Rick
NPD

That's enough to convince me to spend with NPD - parts are parts, but service is what makes the difference.
rpm and Josep like this.

1967 289 Coupe - AOD, Edelbrock heads, Victor Jr, EZ-Efi, roller front suspension, S197 front brakes, 3.55 gears

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Fair comment, and I'd love to explain...

First off, I'll mention that Shawn (NC Manager) had already spoken with the OP, and the replacement radiator was inspected, processed and pulled for Next Day Air Saturday Delivery, before I got a chance to speak to him.

Now to the core of the issue.. Many years ago, right after Al Gore invented the internet , I began making it a priority to review all emails that came over our website myself. Why?? Because I found them both fascinating and educational, and it gave me the opportunity to view raw/unfiltered feedback PRIOR to it getting tossed into the delegated-hierarchy for remedy and/or reply and/or action. Reading emails every morning was the best exercise, a powerful tool, for being able to tangibly see "how NPD was doing", without the potential of employees sweeping matters under rugs or blowing "sunshine up my skirt".

Now, I did not (and I do not) personally tend to every matter. I don't have enough time for that. I read, and I typically delegate accordingly, sometimes providing the delegate with tips or advice on how to handle, other times knowing that I can rely upon the delegate to handle it properly. Real-time, ongoing, training and oversight... It's been the most EFFECTIVE manner that I can continue to infuse/embed my father's ethics and way of doing things into our entire operation, trickling from me to management to sales to warehouse.

And every so often, I'll read a review or a comment regarding product, and the hobbyist/enthusiast/businessman (all of the above) in me thinks "I've gotta see this for myself", and I find myself out in the warehouse looking at parts, taking them over to cars to compare, measuring and photographing, etc... These activities commonly result in emails to suppliers, manufacturers, fixing and improving things that need fixing and improving.. And if I wasn't doing it, I don't know if my (extremely busy) managers would have that kind of time. I have the luxury of not having a boss tell me what I should be doing with my day LOL So I have the latitude to go where I feel I'm needed.

Same thing for this forum. It is educational for me. I get far more from VMF than the members get from me. I get to see how we're doing, how we are viewed and considered, how our competitors are viewed and considered... And when there's a problem with a product, would we have ever found out about it if we didn't stumble upon the thread on VMF?

The positive threads/mentions are gratifying.. But it's the negative ones, be it on service or product, that are MOST valuable. Those afford us the opportunity to fix things that might be either broken, or at least "lapsed".

OK, enough self-gratuitous blabbering. But bottom-line, I'm handling this stuff not because our organization isn't well-trained. It's the opposite. Because my continued involvement, direct involvement, maintains a level of core-ethics, core-knowledge and core-culture throughout the organization. I often asked myself back in the 90's as we got bigger and bigger, with more and more catalogs, "how in the hell do we continue to get bigger without SACRIFICING service and quality and knowledge? At what point do we trade-off being adept at what we do for volume?? How can a sales team sell 125,000 products from 12 different catalogs, and actually be good at it??

Well... That's always been my primary challenge, and that's kind of why I've allowed myself to stay entrenched on the front lines, rather than hiding in my office conjuring up new goofy sales/promotional ideas, going over spreadsheets, and playing online Sudoku LOL..

My dad's goal has always been to "do right by the hobby, for the hobby". He never wanted to sell-out and retire, because he thought that as long as we could continue doing things the way we do it, it was best that we continue..

And luckily, I have a fantastic group here in Corporate, and out at the branches, that allow me to focus on what I feel needs focusing.

Rick
NPD
I have to say thanks to Rick for sharing with us. It's clear you take customer service to the heart, that's why you have so many happy customers here. It probably took 20-30 minutes to craft this post, and that's time out of your already busy day. So thanks again for sharing you knowledge with us Rick!
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Bonus of being here at VMF for a while is that any problems with service at NPD (I never had any but I do pick my parts up) is just a PM or post away from being fixed. NPD really tries so hard to make its buyers happy.
Josep likes this.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Ask for Richard Schmidt to get things resolved.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:00 PM

2 comments

Years ago I purchased a Champion rad from NPD and it arrived Damaged. I am in the UK so a bit more shipping involved

They immediately worked with me to a satisfactory conclusion 🙂

But I will say the rad finds were softer than not wax. I tried to straighten them and they were impossible to fix

And another supplier, Summit Racing
I spend thousands and thousands

Ordered and was invoiced for 67-69 Camaro rear leaf springs....received later year springs

Another order, ordered and was invoiced for Subframe connectors, received early Nova leaf springs

It happens

Rick and NPD are some of the best suppliers in the marketplace

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page