Vintage Mustang Forums banner

“ I am “ frustrated with NPD in Charlotte, N.C.

7K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  Pmustang 
#1 ·
I am working on my 1967 Mustang coupe and using NPD as my main source for parts. I have been on this project for less than two months and have had (4) orders that they sent the wrong parts. Today I received an aluminum radiator to replace the radiator that was sent for a different year car. It gets better, when I opened the outside box the box containing the radiator had already been opened and retapped. I pulled out the radiator, the tabs were bent and the core fins were damaged in multiple areas. It is obvious someone else tried to install it, screwed it up and sent it back. So now I have another delay for a car that is.....or was supposed to be at the first Carolina football game on September 15th. NPD’s inability to get me the right parts, on the four different orders, has put me two weeks behind.
All of the people are very nice and I really want to buy local but at some point .......? My rant is over, any suggestions for other vendors?

#2 ·
I've just recently started using NPD and fortunately have had good luck. I have used CJ pony but thankfully I am not in a hurry because they must use pony express for their deliveries. For stuff like radiators and such Summit Racing can be hard to beat, especially if you're in a hurry.

#3 ·
You sir, should send a PM to 69bossnine. He will get to the bottom of your issue(s). Have you talked with anyone at NPD about the 4 orders? Are you just coming on here blasting them?

You will find that they are one of the very best vendors as far as reviews on this site, mine included...
@69bossnine

Allen

#5 ·
NPD runs the best aftermarket operation when it comes to our Vintage Mustang Parts.
Now, Can things get screwed up, over looked--Yes. This is a happening in what we call Life. Not a damn one of us run a perfect operation/or have a error free existence .
As has been stated, call the folks at NPD, explain your concerns. They will be addressed, I guarantee.

#34 ·
To the OP: I've got an email into Shawn so that I can find out who you are, review your order history, and find out where Shawn is with you on this radiator. We can also check order history on that specific radiator to determine if one was ever returned to us. Often times, a re-taped box can be as simple as someone having looked at the part at our counter, but decided not to buy. And lord knows, we've also been shipped radiators from the manufacturers that got a bit dinged-up before they ever made it to the box.

But everything is speculation for me at this point. I'll be in touch. If you could please PM me with your email address, that would also be helpful.

Thank you, and I apologize in advance for anything/everything we might have contributed to these mishaps. I'll be happy to sort through it with you, in the hopes of making-good and also preventing future grief.

Rick
NPD
ricks@npdlink.com
Update:

I have yet to hear back from the OP, but I have both emailed and PM'd.

I have spoken with Shawn in NC, and he had already spoken on the phone with the OP today, and has an inspected replacement radiator heading to him for Saturday delivery. Hopefully UPS doesn't damage it!

We'll work to help ensure this type of chaos does not occur ongoing.

Rick
NPD
I haven’t been on the forum today because I was trying to get other things done to the car. That being said, I have talked with Shawn at NPD as well as responded to Rick. I assured Rick that I was not trying to call anyone out and with the response I received from a few people, I was just glad I didn’t say anything about their Mother or God. They have reviewed my orders, going back years, so they know the amount of money that I have and will spend. We chalked it up to a run of bad luck and they are still my go to parts supplier. Also, they have gone above and beyond to get me the radiator tomorrow.
To anyone I have offended by starting this thread, I apologize.
tack, as you have seen rick has already responded. as for ticking people off on he forum, i dont think you have because you had an issue, and you were clam and collected about getting the necessary information out, and not pointing fingers at anyone, or p#ssing and moaning about NPD trying to rip you off or other such garbage.

everyone makes mistakes from time to time, its how the mistakes are handled that is the key to great customer service. good job everyone staying cool over the issue.

#8 · (Edited)
I've had some wrong parts shipped, but NPD was very quick to ship out the correct part at no charge. I don't think I have ever gotten a "Used/Returned" item from them. I shop at and get my parts from the Ocala Fl. location.

edit:

I shopped from CJ Pony, they showed they had all the parts at one location AND some of the parts at the other location. Rather than shipping all the parts from the one location, they shipped from both locations. The 2nd package came just short of a week from the 1st package.

#10 · (Edited)
No, I don’t call people out for one mistake, we are all human. That being said, Yes I have called and talked with them and voiced my concerns on all (4) occasions over the last 1 1/2 months. Like I said above, they are all very nice people but I need the correct parts. Today, I asked to talk with a supervisor and was transferred to Shawn ( again very nice). I have ordered thousands of dollars in parts from them on this build as well as other builds and want to continue to support a NC based business. My advice, to NPD, would be to take an extra 30 seconds to review each part ordered, save the company thousands of dollars in UPS call tags, and get the customer the right parts. I have watched people in a hurry go nowhere their entire life. Basically, take a little extra time get it right the first time, be more productive, make more money.
P.S. Until this build I don’t recall any issues in the past. And yes, the customer service is very good.

#11 ·
I have had great luck with NPD, they did send a wrong color set of sail panels once, they simply credited me the amount and I painted them with the rest of the interior parts. Oh yeah and that run of 71-73 stainless fuel senders that had the tube pointed the wrong way.

I've had a fun run with Summit lately, ordered four steel wheels for the 71, two came in with flat spots from being dropped and Summit's lack of packaging. Ordered two more, one came in damaged, same crummy packaging. Called again, sent out replacement rim along with call tags for three damaged rims. Fourth rim looks okay now, sent other three back with instructions to refund, they sent out one more rim and credited me for one. Now I need to send the extra rim back and wait for a credit. Oy....

#12 ·
As stated by others, I wish you would have handled this directly vs on an open forum.

Rick will be here shortly to help you get your issues resolved. :wink:

#14 ·
P.S. Until this build I don’t recall any issues in the past. And yes, the customer service is very good.
Did you not read my post? I did handle this directly on (4) different occasions. Please reread my second post.
You state 4 occasions, cite 1, then say the customer service is "very good". This really needs to be handled with the vendor (my opinion).

Allen

#15 ·
In order to get the right parts, on each of the (4) occasions, and to get the right parts coming I had to call and talk with them all (4) times. I voiced my concerns on each occasion. Which means I tried repeatedly to handle it with the vendor. In the past, on “ other builds “ I cannot recall any issues. And, the customer service is good. They are always congenial and professional. Hopefully, this clarified any misunderstandings.
Thank you for your support.

#16 ·
Yes. Thank you for the clarification. At the end of the day Im sure they will make it right as you have experienced. It’s unfortunate that doesn’t buy back your time. Like Chock said, no one or no company is perfect. What matters is how they correct it and handle future orders. I have no doubt Rick and NPD will be well above board on both points.

#18 ·
A radiator should take an hour to install, just have them overnight it to you.

I do think you have every right to complain. NPD messed up more than once with you, maybe costing you your deadline. Unless they can turn back time, there's not a whole they can do but just eat the bad review/experience at this point. NPD should take it as a learning experience and reminder. I'm sure the people who work there are very nice and terrific people, but that still doesn't fix that multiple mistakes were made.

#20 ·
To the OP: I've got an email into Shawn so that I can find out who you are, review your order history, and find out where Shawn is with you on this radiator. We can also check order history on that specific radiator to determine if one was ever returned to us. Often times, a re-taped box can be as simple as someone having looked at the part at our counter, but decided not to buy. And lord knows, we've also been shipped radiators from the manufacturers that got a bit dinged-up before they ever made it to the box.

But everything is speculation for me at this point. I'll be in touch. If you could please PM me with your email address, that would also be helpful.

Thank you, and I apologize in advance for anything/everything we might have contributed to these mishaps. I'll be happy to sort through it with you, in the hopes of making-good and also preventing future grief.

Rick
NPD
ricks@npdlink.com

#21 ·
If you ever decide to make a run down to their warehouse in Charlotte to pick up some bigger parts, let me know. I'd tag along for the ride and am waiting for a good excuse to go down there and get a 65 GT360 Shelby style hood for my project. Some gas and a few hours of my time are better than spending the money to ship it when they aren't that far away.

Good luck getting your car sorted before the game. If you need a hand to make the deadline, let me know. I'm free most evenings.

#22 ·
I won't say they're the worst but I stopped using NPD, they have a little check mark (box) on the order page where they promise to ensure that the parts they ship fit your vehicle.

So I have a brand new trunk lid for a 67/68 Fastback that would not fit on my convertible thanks to them. I did not want to eat the ~$80 to ship it back for a refund.

It is not THAT they messed up, I understand nobody is perfect. It is how they failed to fix the problem and essentially told me to order another one. Which I did, from somewhere else.

#23 ·
Update:

I have yet to hear back from the OP, but I have both emailed and PM'd.

I have spoken with Shawn in NC, and he had already spoken on the phone with the OP today, and has an inspected replacement radiator heading to him for Saturday delivery. Hopefully UPS doesn't damage it!

We'll work to help ensure this type of chaos does not occur ongoing.

Rick
NPD

#25 ·
And just like that,.....Rick is on it! :wink:

#28 ·
I haven’t been on the forum today because I was trying to get other things done to the car. That being said, I have talked with Shawn at NPD as well as responded to Rick. I assured Rick that I was not trying to call anyone out and with the response I received from a few people, I was just glad I didn’t say anything about their Mother or God. They have reviewed my orders, going back years, so they know the amount of money that I have and will spend. We chalked it up to a run of bad luck and they are still my go to parts supplier. Also, they have gone above and beyond to get me the radiator tomorrow.
To anyone I have offended by starting this thread, I apologize.

#29 ·
You’ll know tomorrow for sure when the box arrives.

Please update us as to the end result.

#33 ·
Having Rick as part of our forum along with being very active in it says a lot about him and his company. This goes a long way in my book.

To the OP, we are are looking forward to pictures when you receive your shipment tomorrow!!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.