Strut rod bolt help - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By streetsnake
  • 1 Post By rhutt

Old 09-21-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Strut rod bolt help

So they said it would be fun to work on an old mustang...they said it would be satisfying. Lol. My first project was a fail. I needed to install new strut rods on the 68 mustang. Simple right? So I got the rods and bolts. Saw that the bolts needed to be pressed into the rod. Looked around online and someone said to use an air gun on the nut and pull the bolt into the rod. Simple enough. So I started the process with my 8 year old. He had the impact gun and I had the wrench...we started. It was working. Yeah. Then it stopped making progress with an 1/8" left to seat. I took over...seated it a tiny bit further and nothing more. Looked good to me so I went to pull the nut back off the bolt. It turned but didn't move. So I'm guessing I stripped the bolt/nut, correct? What is your advice? Anyway to easily get the nut off?

For future installation, where can I take the rod and bolt to have the bolt pressed in?

I hope I provided a comical story for your Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM

If you're certain that it's stripped and won't come off, you will need to use a cutoff wheel or other cutting tool to remove it. The portion left in the strut rod can then removed. A good, independent auto parts store that offers basic services should be able to press the new bolts in. They should also be able to remove the old one if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Good luck!

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Garage
are you at least using rods with Heim joints ? they will make it fun in the end.

Brad

Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
are you at least using rods with Heim joints ? they will make it fun in the end.
I'm sure it is a dumb comment but these are strut rods...they dont have heim joints. Like this:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/stru...%3D1%26year%3D
Old 09-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Torque the loose nut and bolt the same as the other 3 nuts ? Don't have a 68 Shop Manual for specs but 70 lbs should be good. I always but a wrench on the other end when torqueing this type of captive bolt. Brian

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Hmm pressed on? Pretty sure the 68 is the same as the 67 and they are just bolted on? I hope you are not adjusting caster way past its point? Here is a video.

With the bushings and other parts it should be close the length of the ones you took off. Unless I am missing something specific to a 68.

1967 Mustang Convertible, 289-4v, C4, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mild Cam.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsnake View Post
I'm sure it is a dumb comment but these are strut rods...they dont have heim joints. Like this:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/stru...%3D1%26year%3D

Strut Rods Archives - Opentracker Racing Products

Brad
Old 09-21-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my289 View Post
Hmm pressed on? Pretty sure the 68 is the same as the 67 and they are just bolted on? I hope you are not adjusting caster way past its point? Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGXwYbUaLJg

With the bushings and other parts it should be close the length of the ones you took off. Unless I am missing something specific to a 68.
So now I'm thoroughly confused. I'm talking about the 2 bolts/nuts that go on the lower control arm. The bolts are pressed into the strut rod and the 2 bolts are tightened from the bottom.

Ben
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Ah, YES!! Those are sweet. I'm just putting this one back to stock so I can get up and going to sell. Need to fund my S code purchase.
2nd 66 likes this.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM

The bolts are different on the '68 thru '73 cars. This is the set that NPD sells.
If the length of the shoulder is longer than the replacement arm's thickness, it could be bottoming out before the head pulls all the way down. This could be the cause of the head sitting 1/8" off the surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 strut bolts.jpg (331.7 KB, 6 views)
streetsnake likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 09-21-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhutt View Post
The bolts are different on the '68 thru '73 cars. This is the set that NPD sells.
If the length of the shoulder is longer than the replacement arm's thickness, it could be bottoming out before the head pulls all the way down. This could be the cause of the head sitting 1/8" off the surface.

Dang it. I bet you that's exactly what happened. Good call and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in