351c eating oil ...Help - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

yea gettin me pissed off mate , car runs dead smooth everything right .... just keep losing oil ....anyways going to pull the intake and change the gaskets next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
I suppose it's possible you could be ingesting oil from the intake valley if your intake seals are leaking, but more likely, you'd get a lot more air than oil that way. If that was happening, your engine would almost certainly be running rough.

Given that you have to disconnect all the PVC stuff to pull the manifold, it seems like that's a possible source of trouble, but again, if it's pulling tons of oil, you'd think you would have a big vacuum leak that way too.

If it's not dripping, then the oil's going somewhere. It can't just disappear. My bet's on the tailpipe, one way or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

any advise if i should use the felpro gaskets or the ones recommended by edlelbrock?

the intake im using on my 351c 2v is this...

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...view/make/ford
gaskets recommended
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...7265/overview/
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:49 AM

OK ,
You changed camshaft and the problem started after that. Did you check the valve stem seals to see IF they bottom out on the retainer with the new cam? if they do (or did) this could crush them and cause an oiling condition . I agree with others , the Fel Pro ( especially "printoseal" ) is a terrible gasket and I'n not sure the Edelbrock gasket isn't made by FelPro. as well.
Those are the two things "I" would check. Clevelands ARE notorious for wearing valve guides but it doesn't "instantly" happen.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 PM

FYI, I did a cam change on my Cleveland last month. I have an Edelbrock performer 2V intake. I used the Edelbrock gaskets and installed them with Gasgacinch exactly as Edelbrock recommends. And I'm pretty sure I have a vacuum leak at the intake ports.

In my experience, whenever I have used any intake gaskets other than Felpro, I get vacuum leaks. I know many people say they've had problems with the Felpro gaskets, but since my experience is the direct opposite, I'm going to pop the intake and try the Felpro gaskets.

As a suggestion, be sure to torque the intake bolts in at least two phases. Torque them to about half the recommended spec, in order. Then torque them to full spec, in order. Wait a while for the gaskets to relax, then go over each bolt again, with your torque wrench still set to the correct spec, in order, to for good measure. Likely, most of the bolts will move just a little. Also, put a little oil on the threads of each intake bolt before you install it. This will help the bolt to reach actual torque.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

Last edited by Klutch; 02-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Can you check if the valve stem seals are shot without pulling the valve covers / heads ??
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephqatarcarguy View Post
Can you check if the valve stem seals are shot without pulling the valve covers / heads ??

You have to remove the valve covers to see the seals.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

running a compression test to see if its the values or just that the piston rings are worn ...... if its the valves going ro replace the heads ...
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Are you running a mechanical fuel pump? Check that the pump seal isn't ruptured and putting raw gas into the crankcase. Change the oil. Does it smell "gassy" and lack viscosity?
rcodenewf likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

the compression looks alright , must be the valve seals leaking then .....anyone know a place to buy good iron heads ?
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
Why replace the heads? Have yours rebuilt, or just replace the valve seals with them in place. A morning's worth of work and $20 in parts.

If you're going through the trouble to replace the heads, step up to an Aussie closed chamber head, or just go aluminum.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...view/make/ford

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

thought of going aluminium but want to keep the stock rockers and stuff to keep cost to a minimum.

ill need to change the springs/valves etc so decided to get a complete head.Also mechanics here in Qatar aint that great.

OEM iron heads 2V completely rebuilt
Bowl blend porting
Assembled with stainless valves
Valve springs for hyd flat tappet cams up to .550
Positive locking valve seals

This is what im planning to get for some street performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Why replace the heads? Have yours rebuilt, or just replace the valve seals with them in place. A morning's worth of work and $20 in parts.

If you're going through the trouble to replace the heads, step up to an Aussie closed chamber head, or just go aluminum.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...view/make/ford
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

checked on the fuel pump and it looks alright , thank you ... any advice on the heads mentioned in the above post mate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Are you running a mechanical fuel pump? Check that the pump seal isn't ruptured and putting raw gas into the crankcase. Change the oil. Does it smell "gassy" and lack viscosity?
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 PM

Assuming your engine has USA 351C 2V heads they are "open chamber" style. The Aussie 302C 2V heads have "closed chambers". If you're going to spend all that money on iron heads you may as well spend it on better iron heads.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Is there a good source I can buy them heads off ? Cause I need to get it shipped to Qatar.
So a trusted source ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Assuming your engine has USA 351C 2V heads they are "open chamber" style. The Aussie 302C 2V heads have "closed chambers". If you're going to spend all that money on iron heads you may as well spend it on better iron heads.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

still havent solved the disappearing oil.... car starts up and runs perfectly every-time.... should i just go pull the intake and change gaskets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page