Need Help With Installing '70 Mach 1 Interior - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Need Help With Installing '70 Mach 1 Interior

I have new foam and covers for my 1970 Mach 1. I'd like to install it on my seat frames myself. I've never done upholstery before and I've been reading online articles and watching instructional videos.

The problem is I haven't found any instructions specifically for the 69/70 Mach 1 interior. (I'm not sure if it's called, "Deluxe", "Décor" or what.) I disassembled a front seat and took lots of pictures during the process and I'm having trouble figuring out how to reassemble everything. The pictures aren't much help because my seats were so deteriorated. (They had the factory upholstery.)

Specifically, how do I attach the bottom of the upholstery just inside the bolsters? Whenever I watch a video or follow a slide show, they always skip that part. "Now that we've attached the bottom, let's pull down and hog ring the rest". Also, my interior is different from everything I've seen online. There doesn't appear to be areas where I'm supposed to slide in the lacing rods. Again, my factory interior isn't much help because it's such a mess.

Can anyone assist me with this? Do you know of a good instructional slide show or video specific for my interior?

Thanks!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 PM

I did the install of TMI sports seat upholstery on my 70 M1. It's been about 7 years, but IIRC there should be some listing wires that slide in the cracks between the bolster and the seat. I can't remember if I used my old wires or cut up a wire coat hanger. But, you should be able to jam the wire down in that crack and then hog ring it from underneath. In my case, the sport seat foam was so thick that in some places I used some sturdy "safety wire" in place of hog rings to hold the listing wire (through the foam) to the frame.

One tip, use plastic grocery bags over the top of the backrests to make the material slide on easier.

Get ready for some sore hands!

Spliffy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post

Specifically, how do I attach the bottom of the upholstery just inside the bolsters? Whenever I watch a video or follow a slide show, they always skip that part. "Now that we've attached the bottom, let's pull down and hog ring the rest". Also, my interior is different from everything I've seen online. There doesn't appear to be areas where I'm supposed to slide in the lacing rods. Again, my factory interior isn't much help because it's such a mess.
the following pics were from my falcon. I would have to dig up pics when I tore down my mach seats, but i'm pretty sure the same situation between them. these inner wires that have to go through the foam are the hardest (or they are for me).

basically a wire set is hog ringed to the seat springs.

then the foam sits on that. then sit your seat cover on that something like this pic.

lift up on a side f that upholstery so you have access to those inner listing wires. then hook a hog ring through the listing wire of the cover, push through the foam and grab that wire that was hog ringed to the seat springs. as you are pushing the hog ring down through the foam (don't squeeze the pliers yet), you can feel where your at (trying to find that wire ringed to the seat springs) by feeling with your other hand on the bottom side.. this step is the hardest part.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I'll take another look at my new upholstery, but I was not seeing a looped area in which to insert the listing wires.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 PM

I feel your pain...I'm going through the same thing right now on my '69 GT (standard interior) and would also welcome any thoughts and/or tips on the subject.

Aligning the listing wires from the looped fabric in the upholstery, through the seat foams, then to the seat springs below, seems to take an act of ungodly contortion.

Do I cheat and secure a wire directly to the springs that matches up with the one that runs through the upholstery, then hog ring them both together ? I can't seem to get past that step.

From there; stretching, ringing, heating and tightening the vinyl looks time consuming, but do-able.

Thanks for bringing this subject up...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM

Thank you for this. I've been trying to grab the springs and never noticed there was a wire set on the original seats. Very much appreciated...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM

69 mach

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
I had mine assembled, but took them back apart recently to replace the foam.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 PM

I have '70 M1 seats in my '65 and I installed what TMI used to call Sport R upholstery. It has the large side bolsters so new foam was required. This new foam has metal rods molded into it. The covers have a cloth sleeve sewn into the seam where the smooth side vinyl is sewn to the "comfortweave" center material. You make your own wires to insert into the sleeves (I used galvanized chain link fence wire because I had a bunch of it). Once you insert your wires into the sleeves you hog ring them to the rods molded into the foam. This keeps the seam between the smooth vinyl and the comfortweave center pulled down.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:18 AM

I'm working on my 69 Mach 1 seats right now as well. In fact tonight I hope to put the burlap on the driver's seat back and maybe reattach the seat foam. I'll take pics as I go.

IF I get enough time to get all that done tonight I'll post some pics tomorrow.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics, buckeye!

I think I figured out where the listing wires go. I had to cut a notch in the fabric to slide in the listing wires. At least, I hope that's what I was supposed to do.

I was able to hog ring the wire across the bottom of the seat. Thus far I have been unable to secure the listing wires on the sides inside the bolsters. They secure right below the seat frame and I can't get the hog ring pliers in there at the right angle, or something. (I'm using the angled pliers.) I'll persist and, hopefully, I'll eventually get it.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Garage
i did my M1 seats for the first time a while back.

if you have TMI you can email tech pics and they will walk you through it

they were great with me and usually returned my emails within a few hours with an attaboy of try it his way and sent me a pic of what they meant

the rears were easy the front backs slide on like a sock and the bottoms were a bit more challenging

theres one spot on right side up high where youll need to double up and link 2 hogs together (i guess the bolster side)

I used coat hanger for the listing and yes you need to slice open a hole on one end

i used my original buns as they were in fairly good shape so my fight was that much less

I had the upholstery sit in the sun for a few hours to soften it up.

when it started to give me trouble i let it sit back in the sun again

in the final stages i used a hair dryer to keep it warm

all total it took me 3 weekends of nice and easy no rushing taking a lot of beer breaks by the time i took the seats out and put them back in.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.

Last edited by Blues Power; 09-26-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Thanks for the pics, buckeye!

I think I figured out where the listing wires go. I had to cut a notch in the fabric to slide in the listing wires. At least, I hope that's what I was supposed to do.

I was able to hog ring the wire across the bottom of the seat. Thus far I have been unable to secure the listing wires on the sides inside the bolsters. They secure right below the seat frame and I can't get the hog ring pliers in there at the right angle, or something. (I'm using the angled pliers.) I'll persist and, hopefully, I'll eventually get it.

I believe you are correct, that is how I have done it as well. I didn't as far as you last night, I got the burlap on and the small wire in place.

The side listing wires are the most difficult.

Last edited by Ford.P51; 09-27-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page