The Family Heirloom 1965 Mustang Coupe - Vintage Mustang Forums
 39Likes

post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

The Family Heirloom 1965 Mustang Coupe

My Grandfather purchased this car brand new in 1966. My Uncle couldn't convince him to spring for the power brakes or steering. After driving the car daily for the first ten years of its life it was passed to my father. He drove it around San Fransisco for a few years before handing it down to his younger brother.

After driving it for a while Uncle Dave needed something more responsible for his growing family and the car was parked back in my Grandmother's garage. It bounced between there and his garage for the next 15 years as it kept getting evicted for smelling bad. Uncle Dave started it every weekend and I even got to drive it around Encino when I was 14 or 15.

We shipped it up to Oregon when I was in high school and my dad and I replaced the leaking heater core, front shocks and glovebox. Then it sat while I went off to college and moved to California. My mom wanted her garage back so it needed to leave. My Uncle Bret had the car shipped to Utah where he replaced the starter, alternator, fuel pump and started driving it around. He also put on rear air shocks and 17 inch wheels.

While visiting my parents a few weeks ago he asked if they thought I wanted it back. I thought about it for about 2 minutes and started looking for a trucker on UShip.

Here is the car getting loaded on the trailer in Utah:

And unloaded in California:

Tucked in the garage:

The plans are to redo the tired cooling system, remove the air shocks and period correct wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so per the advice here I immediately took off the rear air shocks and replaced them with KYBs

Next up was a super leaky valve cover gasket. These rubber ones from CJP didn't quite line up so I snipped off two of the "holder tabs".

That went well so I decided to start on the water pump and radiator. During that removal process, I snapped off a water pump bolt in the timing chain cover. This turned out to be a good thing because when I pulled the cover off, I saw that the chain was very loose and likely misaligned. Can't wait to get the car back together since I had so much fun driving it for last week before I took it apart:

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Yeah, Timing chain has way to much slack...Time for a NEW Timing Chain...

She looks California/Utah Clean! Nice!

Period "Correct" wheels would be either ALL Steel '65-'66 5-lug Steel Wheels.....Later years were wider wheels, and/or Maybe 14" or 15" '65 Styled Steel Wheels.... Either would be really nice... Stick the 17" "Eleanor Wheels" in the back corner of your garage or sell them on Craigslist... It looks like you already have the spare...so that's good!

1 less wheel to find... Did you Uncle happen to keep the Original (4) Steel Wheels?!??

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Dimples

Garage
Very cool. Good to hear that youíre bringing it back to life. I like the wheels. I wonder what the story is on the deleted 289 fender emblems.

The anvil of reality.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 AM

Very nice story of a family kept car.! Thanks for sharing..!

Josep

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Yeah, Timing chain has way to much slack...Time for a NEW Timing Chain...

She looks California/Utah Clean! Nice!

Period "Correct" wheels would be either ALL Steel '65-'66 5-lug Steel Wheels.....Later years were wider wheels, and/or Maybe 14" or 15" '65 Styled Steel Wheels.... Either would be really nice... Stick the 17" "Eleanor Wheels" in the back corner of your garage or sell them on Craigslist... It looks like you already have the spare...so that's good!

1 less wheel to find... Did you Uncle happen to keep the Original (4) Steel Wheels?!??

)

Tony K.
I have the original wheels and hubcaps, plus the stock carb and intake manifold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Very cool. Good to hear that you’re bringing it back to life. I like the wheels. I wonder what the story is on the deleted 289 fender emblems.
It is only missing on the driver side but the holes are completely missing. I'm sure my uncle or dad can share some insight if prompted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
Very nice story of a family kept car.! Thanks for sharing..!

Josep
thanks!
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
PS: If you want Good Rubber Valve Cover Gaskets or Cork Valve Cover Gaskets that actually fit, Make sure you buy ONLY Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets.

Can't wait to see you put her back to stock.... I'm subscribed

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM

That is a nice looking car, appears to be very solid. Btw, I think the wheels look good too. Welcome.
rpm likes this.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
PS: If you want Good Rubber Valve Cover Gaskets or Cork Valve Cover Gaskets that actually fit, Make sure you buy ONLY Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets.

)

Tony K.
+1. Fel-Pro VS13264C if you are talking about a 289. Fits perfectly. Donít over tighten. 3-5 ft lbs max. You can get them anywhere in store or online.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Nice hand-me-down. California - west coast shape too. I'd leave it just like it is. But do drive it and have a great time.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM

"Someone" at some point changed the timing chain and gears. When they did the cam was advanced at least one tooth ( by the picture) . At least it wasn't retarded or you could have had piston to exhaust valve contact. The engine will certainly run better with a new chain but "aligning" the cam and crank properly will be MORE helpful.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Garage
Be a shame to not use those 17's next thing you'll probably give up the dual flowmasters for a single transverse muffler
Huskinhano, rpm and 665spd like this.

Brad
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

)

Tony K.
All right I'm on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
That is a nice looking car, appears to be very solid. Btw, I think the wheels look good too. Welcome.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb0729 View Post
Quote:

)

Tony K.
+1. Fel-Pro VS13264C if you are talking about a 289. Fits perfectly. Don’t over tighten. 3-5 ft lbs max. You can get them anywhere in store or online.
The best part of this car is being able to get just about anything I need from the local parts store. In the past I have had a lot of older European cars and that just isnt the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
Nice hand-me-down. California - west coast shape too. I'd leave it just like it is. But do drive it and have a great time.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350HR View Post
"Someone" at some point changed the timing chain and gears. When they did the cam was advanced at least one tooth ( by the picture) . At least it wasn't retarded or you could have had piston to exhaust valve contact. The engine will certainly run better with a new chain but "aligning" the cam and crank properly will be MORE helpful.
Randy
Thanks Randy, I bet I'll need to adjust the carb etc etc once it is back together. My uncle had the original carb rebuilt but said it still felt a little slow so he put the Holley on it. I bet this timing issue had a lot to do with the lack of power.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Be a shame to not use those 17's next thing you'll probably give up the dual flowmasters for a single transverse muffler
haha, no the exhaust is fine but the 17s look too big to me on the early mustang. That, and the sidewalls look like they hit the fender in the rear. The tires are only 225s iirc so the back spacing must be off
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
haha, no the exhaust is fine but the 17s look too big to me on the early mustang. That, and the sidewalls look like they hit the fender in the rear. The tires are only 225s iirc so the back spacing must be off
225/??/17 makes a difference. my sig pic has 225/45/17 and it's lowered quit a bit 17x8x4.75bs is pretty optimal
other wise 16x8x4.5 is nice with a 225/50/16

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page