electric fan optimal settings for commuting - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jgrote
  • 1 Post By daveoxide

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

electric fan optimal settings for commuting

I can control my electric fan via my Holley Sniper - and i'm not sure whats the best setting for it.

I'm on a 302 with a stock cam, and 4 row radiator - so overheating isn't really an issue - just wondering what temp I should be running at in my traffic filled commute (12 miles, 1 hour each way)

I currently have it come on at 195 and turn off at 185. (theres a -10 degree difference between my holley temp sensor and my dash gauge temp, so my dash gauge shows it kicking on at 205)

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM

Garage
probably not much help, but the only time I turn my fan on is stop and go in town type traffic and waiting in line for the next autox run

Brad
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Does it cycle on and off? Does it run while cruising along? If yes to the first and no to the second, then I'd say you found the sweet spot. Everything probably be okay if you turned it up another 5* or so, but it probably isn't necessary.
schweigert likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
I can control my electric fan via my Holley Sniper - and i'm not sure whats the best setting for it.

I'm on a 302 with a stock cam, and 4 row radiator - so overheating isn't really an issue - just wondering what temp I should be running at in my traffic filled commute (12 miles, 1 hour each way)

I currently have it come on at 195 and turn off at 185. (theres a -10 degree difference between my holley temp sensor and my dash gauge temp, so my dash gauge shows it kicking on at 205)
What temp is your thermostat rated at? I have been playing with different cooling fan temp switches lately on my wife’s 66 and am familiar with your dilemma.

The operating temp of your engine should be driven by the thermostat. The fan is just there to help remove the excess heat. If you have a 195 thermostat (I recommend it to improve efficiency, especially for a daily driver), the thermostat will start to open at 195 and will control engine temp somewhere above that point. If the fan is set to turn on at 205 and off at 195 it may never turn off as the thermostat is going to try and keep the engine temp higher than 195.

Since you are controlling it via software (and not mechanical switches like me), set the fan off temp about 5 or 10 degrees higher than your thermostat and take it for a drive. You want the fan to cycle on and off with the vehicle stopped, but you don’t want the temperature to shoot way up either. I have been running a 220/207 switch on my wife’s 66, and it’s a touch too high (temp needle moves too far on the gauge and it bugs me). My next attempt is going to be a 205/195, which might be too low, but for $6 I’m willing to give it a try. I would love a 210/200 but have yet to find one. You are lucky to have it programmable!
schweigert likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page