Driveshaft shop rant - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 03:31 PM

Man! What a lousy experience. When I got the aluminum drive shaft for my car, I ordered it from Inland. After double/triple checking measurements everything worked out great.
zray likes this.

1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
Instagram @a65stang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:27 PM

For those reading - I got lucky with my '66 HiPo C-4 conversion to AOD. I keep a few yokes around to use as plugs when pulling a transmission. Just my lucky day, but I was able to use my original driveshaft by replacing the yoke with a shorter one.

Just food for thought.

Sucks on the OP's situation - the vendor supplied everything and received the correct measurement = vendor should make it right.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

There's a driveline shop right there in Austin, why not use them ?
https://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/texas/austin/

They used to be called Austin Driveline. They made 2 or 3 driveshafts for me from aluminum Crown Vic police car driveshafts. Bulletproof.

Z

Last edited by zray; 10-06-2018 at 09:01 PM.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Nothing surprises me anymore.
How about one where the car is actually IN the drivetrain shop and they get it wrong.

That experience was "enjoyed" at Driveline of Denver. I think they're out of business
now.....
That reminds me when I use to work at Hert's World headquarters. We had 2 sets of double doors with a center mullion. This was so we could bring cars in and out of the lobby, removing the 4 doors and mullion. We had a contractor come in and measure for new doors which were 2 sets of bifold doors you could just open up without removing anything. So they came in with the new doors, they were too long. Next set were too short. I think it was the fourth try that they actually got the 4 doors the right length. I can only imagine how much money was lost by the contractor.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 PM

Just food for thought: 9" rears have two different length yokes, 4" and 5". You can gain or lose an inch depending what yoke you have.
green1965 likes this.

Larry
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: my campaign to leave negative feedback has had a small, tiny result. I gave feedback at all possible avenues, and I sent a formal letter via email to the company. I got the following email response from Gary himself. Tell me what you think of this:

"I fully intended to give back all of the original purchase price and freight charges but accidentally hit the wrong button...I will be refunding $25.00 more dollars...I would never give extra money back to anyone who acted like you have, especially after your slanderous incorrect online reviews. This is the end of our transaction.

Gary Bouska
General Manager
Houston Drive Train
7959 N. Loop East
Houston, TX 77028
(Phone) 713-675-6375
(Toll Free) 800-728-4236
(Fax) 713-675-6214

He still did not refund the 28 dollars I incurred to ship the driveshaft back to him. I sent the following email in response:

Dear Gary,
Thank you for returning my $25.00 shipping costs for the initial purchase price of your driveshaft that did not fit. I still did not receive all of my shipping charges as I incurred $28.00 dollars more in shipping to return the driveshaft to you which also included insurance. Are you going to return that $28 dollars as well? I have not seen any additional money added to my paypal account? I appreciate your explanation of why you did not refund ALL of my payment-you hit the wrong button. You say that I have acted slanderous towards you and your business. I stated in all of my responses exactly what transpired. Your part in this is refusal to admit you made a mistake that caused the shaft to be too long. You did not compensate for the amount of output shaft sticking out of the rear of the trans. That was the error. I did not make that error. You did. You asked for 1 measurement, and I gave it to you. I am an unsatisfied customer due to the fact I did not receive the proper item that I purchased. You still insist that there is not an error. Gary...the driveshaft did not fit. Period. How can I be satisfied with that? If you had just asked for the proper measurements- all of them- and cut the shaft correctly to those dimensions, I would have been satisfied completely. When you refused to acknowledge a mistake and blamed me, you were in error. If you had reimbursed me for the $28 dollars shipping - which you still have not returned to me, I would have been a little closer to satisfied. Instead you blamed me, and then refused to work on the driveshaft anymore, then hung up. I have a right to state my experience with your company. It was a bad experience that cost me money, lost time, and I never received the correct part I could use in my build. I am not to blame for that. Refund my 28 bucks, and I will withdraw all of my comments and replace them with positive comments about my experience. I would like to be able to report that I have been "done right" by your company. I have many more postings on a very prominent websites. Your company's name is there, address, phone number and your name too! i also included an entire explanation of what happened. I understand that errors occur. I understand that an oversight occurred during our transaction. Correct all of it and I will gladly take care of my negative comments on my end of this transaction. It's that simple. I hoped for a proper business transaction, and that is what happened all the way up to the point that the shaft did not fit. Then it went to hell. Quickly.
gwstang likes this.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Wow, dude. Down here we call that a good ol curb stompin'...over $28 lol
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yeah he could have avoided this with a little acknowledgement of error on his part. The question is was it really worth the 28 bucks for all the bad publicity? Apparently not, as my letter got another response...
my 28 bucks was deposited right after my second letter. So Gary decided it WAS NOT worth the 28 bucks. He did "make it right" as far as returning my money. There never was any apology or anything of the sort. So in that regard...Houston drive train service did not take my money...they just held it for me for a few weeks. I would still be out the money ($53.00) if I had not brought my story to the group here, on face book, on google, on ebay and anywhere else I could find to post this fiasco.

So I guess I am now considered a "satisfied" customer. I guess I would only be more satisfied if I had a damn driveshaft.
Oh well, I do have another on order, at the same price point, from someone I would prefer to do business with.

I feel like the kid in that 90's movie...16 candles...was it the paper boy who kept trying to get his money and all thru the movie his line was

I WANT MY 2 DOLLARS..........
BigKoppa likes this.

Last edited by coupster; 10-18-2018 at 06:35 AM.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupster View Post

I feel like the kid in that 90's movie...16 candles...was it the paper boy who kept trying to get his money and all thru the movie his line was

I WANT MY 2 DOLLARS..........
The movie was 'Better Off Dead'.

Another quote: "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stock

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM

I was right there with you on this until the letter.

Going in to full on vendetta mode over $28? Makes me uncomfortable with my original impression that you were 100% in the right here.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying...not so certain you're 100% on the side of the angels here either.

Bottom line? if this is causing you any angst, heartburn or stress....let it go. Not worth it.

Phil
malarson and gwstang like this.

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
I was right there with you on this until the letter.

Going in to full on vendetta mode over $28?
Phil
True, grieving over someone's idiot mistake is not worth the stress. I agree. I've struggled with that most of my life. I have learned to play "duck" much better in my older age. Now being insulted and blamed for something I did not do, then getting ripped on my $ is enough to make me go into that crazy mode. I did spend about 3-4 hours writing my reviews and posting this stuff. I bounced it off the community to get a little perspective that I was not at fault here. You may not feel that way. That's cool. Am I an angel in this...no, I had a part as it takes two to tango...or should I say it takes 2 to Tangle? I could have easily just accepted his insistance it was my fault for the error. But when he stated to me he would not make a full refund due to my threatening to slander his business on the internet...he wrote he would not give the money back on a matter of "principle". So now he has values as a business man. Where is the value of customer satisfaction?

On another note, vendetta is latin, adopted by the Italians...yes I have been raised in an Italian family, and I do have a real godfather who is now a member of the federal gov't witness protection program....just sayin...

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx65coupe View Post
Man! What a lousy experience. When I got the aluminum drive shaft for my car, I ordered it from Inland. After double/triple checking measurements everything worked out great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
There's a driveline shop right there in Austin, why not use them ?
https://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/texas/austin/

They used to be called Austin Driveline. They made 2 or 3 driveshafts for me from aluminum Crown Vic police car driveshafts. Bulletproof.

Z
again, I have to wonder, with this superb drive-line shop right in Austin, why go mail order

Z
coupster likes this.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Z,
Mail order was mainly due to needing to use paypal to make the purchase-which not all vendors currently accept. I use paypal for all of my car stuff since I have to do much of it via mail order. I like to think it adds an extra layer of protection for me. I did not explore if Austin Driveshaft accepts paypal. I did check locally in Seguin/San Antonio as I am closer to them. My quotes were about 100 more on the cost and I could not use paypal. So that is why I did it this way. But it is really ending up costing more this way. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way.

Last edited by coupster; 10-19-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Phil, thank you for your response. I agree. $ is not worth the stress. I was stressing when I could do nothing...so I wrote a nice letter to the company explaining the situation and hoping it would go higher up the chain than the manager who was giving me the poor service. I did not publish that letter in this thread. Maybe I should have. The letter I did include in this thread was a second letter that was in response to manager Gary telling me he hit the wrong button, and accidentally did not return my 25 dollar shipping for the initial purchase, while overlooking the 28 dollars to ship back. My second letter was much more pointed at Gary for his bogus excuse for trying to take my money. So maybe that is why it struck a chord with you. In the big picture, I could have filed a complaint with ebay, kept the driveshaft and had the vendor return my money, and I would have come out shining. But I don't operate that way. I thought i was giving him a fair shot at correcting a mistake. Once he got the driveshaft back, it was my fault and he was keeping my 53 shipping fees and the driveshaft while I was left holding the bag. I couldn't let that fly without at trying to get some resolve. If that meant explaining my experience to other potential customers, then so be it. I do know one person PM'd me to get that info to avoid doing business there. That is good enough for me. Again, I am not trying to argue my side...I am hopefully clarifying things. Again, I appreciate the feedback. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page