7Likes
  • 3 Post By Greenstang_68
  • 1 Post By atitagain
  • 1 Post By Ojenkins
  • 1 Post By 2nd 66
  • 1 Post By kenash

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

As my engine build progresses, I need advice

So, I have read, and re read, and researched, and I'm still blurry, so I am just gonna ask some simple questions, and hopefully get good suggestions!

I need the following items:

Distributor-I know I can have my orignal rebuilt, and will probably go this way, but am I correct that I have to know engine specs before I do this?

Alternator-Believe I have the original, but would like to upgrade this to handle more electronic stuff(we'll leave it at stuff)

Water pump

Carburetor-Have the original 2bbl, would like to go to a 4bbl.

Radiator-Again, have the original, do I need a bigger one?

Thanks in advance for all your awesomeness!

1966 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

My 289 will be bored .30, and will have the Edlebrock top end kit added to it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...xoC_rQQAvD_BwE

1966 Coupe
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
Alternator:
There are plenty of original looking units out there that have been built to provide higher output. You could also look into doing a 3G alternator (highly recommended by many here, I can't speak for or against it myself), or you could go the 1-wire GM style alternator route (not really recommended but it works if wired up correctly). Your final choice here will really depend on how much "stuff" you plan on running.

Water Pump:
I've always used quality stock style replacements without issue, but Flowkooler and Edelbrock have some interesting options too.

Radiator:
I run a 24 inch champion radiator on my mild 302 (it's actually happystang's old radiator) and it works great, but is probably overkill for what I actually need. Plenty of cars running around out there with stock size radiators that do fine, but again this will depend on your build.

Distributor:
Send your original distributor to the Mustang Barn along with all the specs for your car that you have (cam, rear gear, transmisson, carb, intake, etc..) along with an HONEST assessment of how you will use the car, and Dan won't steer you wrong.

Carb:
Offhand I'd say Autolite 4100 or the Summit carb which is basically all the good parts of the 4100 and a Holley carb (I can't remember the part number right now, but I'm sure someone will link it) I, nor anyone else can suggest anything more specific than that without some other specs and the intended use of the car.

All the information I gave is pretty general, to have anything more specific you'll need to provide other specs (intake, heads, cam, etc..) and the intended use of the car. We can't give good recommendations without some more information.

EDIT: Sorry, I was typing this when you posted the “missing” information. I'll let those that are running the Eddy kit take it from here.
kenash, dale1bre and vegasloki like this.

'68 Coupe
Highland green
302ci (originally 200ci I6)
T5 (originally a 3.03)
Front Discs
Vintage LEDs Tails and Turns

Last edited by Greenstang_68; 10-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstang_68 View Post
Alternator:
There are plenty of original looking units out there that have been built to provide higher output. You could also look into doing a 3G alternator (highly recommended by many here, I can't speak for or against it myself), or you could go the 1-wire GM style alternator route (not really recommended but it works if wired up correctly). Your final choice here will really depend on how much "stuff" you plan on running.

Water Pump:
I've always used quality stock style replacements without issue, but Flowkooler and Edelbrock have some interesting options too.

Radiator:
I run a 24 inch champion radiator on my mild 302 (it's actually happystang's old radiator) and it works great, but is probably overkill for what I actually need. Plenty of cars running around out there with stock size radiators that do fine, but again this will depend on your build.

Distributor:
Send your original distributor to the Mustang Barn along with all the specs for your car that you have (cam, rear gear, transmisson, carb, intake, etc..) along with an HONEST assessment of how you will use the car, and Dan won't steer you wrong.

Carb:
Offhand I'd say Autolite 4100 or the Summit carb which is basically all the good parts of the 4100 and a Holley carb (I can't remember the part number right now, but I'm sure someone will link it) I, nor anyone else can suggest anything more specific than that without some other specs and the intended use of the car.

All the information I gave is pretty general, to have anything more specific you'll need to provide other specs (intake, heads, cam, etc..) and the intended use of the car. We can't give good recommendations without some more information.

EDIT: Sorry, this was posted before you said you would have an Edelbrock top end kit. I'll let those that are running the Eddy kit take it from here.
Car will mostly be street use, and some spirited driving, not tracked or racing.

1966 Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstang_68 View Post
Alternator:

Water Pump:

Radiator:

Distributor:

Carb:

EDIT: Sorry, I was typing this when you posted the “missing” information. I'll let those that are running the Eddy kit take it from here.

yes, yes and yes ^^^^

for the radiator you could take yours to a shop for a cleaning and pressure testing or buy a new one. If I was rebuilding and engine I wouldn't use an old radiator.

I am assuming the top end kit comes with a 4 barrel intake manifold so the summit carb is a good recommendation. I have an automate 4100 and I've only heard that they can sometimes be a pain in a$$ to seal properly on eddy intakes.
Ojenkins likes this.

1968 mustang: coupe: factory A/C, P/S, P/B car. Original 289, C4 street/strip trans (2600 stall), 8" rear with 3.40 gears and true trac, front steering and suspension rebuilt to factory specs 3-4 yrs ago. Wimbledon white with two tone blue interior, 68 C-stripe added. Vintage wheel works 16" wheels, 255's in back with 225's up front.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1bre View Post
Car will mostly be street use, and some spirited driving, not tracked or racing.
As for radiators I have a 20" (stock size) aluminum two row in my 67 and it's been plenty of cooling for me (though I guess I'm in the NYC area, you might want something bigger if you're in a warm climate). Definitely a good idea to replace the old one since if it's original it probably has lots of crud built up inside and won't work too well.

Also this is up to personal preference, but if you're already upgrading your electrical system I'd go for an electric fan. Probably some of the cheapest horsepower you'll find since even a clutch fan takes ~10 hp minimum, though you may prefer mechanical. Either way at least use a clutch!
2nd 66 likes this.

1967 coupe in dark blue w/ a 302 and 3 speed from a '68
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Garage
I used a Champion #EC340 in my 66 https://www.championradiators.com/2-...r-20-1967-1970
The Edelbrock 1406 is my preference carb
I'm using a stock replacement water pump
kenash likes this.

Brad
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Garage
I'll say this on the radiator bigger wont hurt. if you are thinking in the future you might add a/c to the car you will want the bigger radiator. I put a/c on my car with the original and it could not handle the cooling with the condenser in front of it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I used a Champion #EC340 in my 66 https://www.championradiators.com/2-...r-20-1967-1970
The Edelbrock 1406 is my preference carb
I'm using a stock replacement water pump
id this fit pretty standard, or did you have to make modifications?

1966 Coupe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...kaAlBpEALw_wcB

Is this the carb you guys are talking about?

1966 Coupe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...kaAlBpEALw_wcB

Is this the carb you guys are talking about?

This is the carb being referenced:https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-140...406+carburetor

However, no doubt, the Holly guys will weigh in with their favorites too. Carb choices are very "fluid" around here. I ran a 1405 (manual choke) for many trouble free years. Some will weigh in with the need for a slightly smaller 550 CFM version. However, should you decide later, on a more aggressive street cam, headers, and better heads, the 600 will be better suited. A dual plane manifold should be considered for a spirited street ride. I always advise build for Torque, if you want a nice street ride.
dale1bre likes this.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
id this fit pretty standard, or did you have to make modifications?
Being a 67 style The radiator is wider than the 66 style so yes I had to drill new mount holes
the carb will pretty much work on most any 4 barrel intake designed for a SBF of course you'll find exceptions

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page