I6 200 3 spd for 289 4spd - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By NEFaurora
  • 1 Post By shelby289s

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I6 200 3 spd for 289 4spd

I am thinking about swapping my I6 for the 289 4spd. I have read conflicting posts all over the web about what needs to be done to the car before the swap....some posts say the suspension needs to be completely redone and others have said you can you use majority of the original parts...I am just wondering about how much work I am getting into being in that I am a noob for this stuff. I want to do it right so that's why I am asking all you senior members for some advice Thanks again for all of your help.

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe I6...3spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Well, basically, You need a whole V8 Drivetrain.... V8 Engine, V8 Front Springs, V8 Front Spindles, V8 Rear end....and so on....plus you have to make a decision to go with the Original Drum brake which might be cheap...but if you are rebuilding the Front End, You might as well put Disc Brakes while you are there...kind of stupid not to while everything is apart... The best/most cost effective way to do all this is buy a V8 Donor car with a good tranny and drivetrain...and swap over everything....If the donor car is rusty, who cares...as long as the drivetrain is decent... Most gearheads would probably choose to upgrade most parts such as the Front end, rear end, Upgraded Disc Brakes and install tranny shift kits if using a C4 Automatic and so on mostly with modern components while everything is already apart... or as I said just buy a Donor car, keep everything somewhat original and do the "Swap"..

It all depends what you want.....but warning...once you go down that rabbit hole, There is no going back...and your car will be laid up for a year or more in most cases..

)

Tony K.
Huskinhano, 66conv6 and rbohm like this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Sigh. Yet another 6-cylinder bites the dust. Soon they’ll be rare as hen’s teeth.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 PM

The 6 cylinder suspension, rear end and brakes are lighter duty then the V8 parts, so while they donít have to be changed to physically swap the engine, they should be for safety and reliability.

Since most cars need the front end rebuilt anyways, just order the V8 suspension and steering parts. The steering boxes are the same, but the pitman arms are different, you also need the V8 spindles.

For the rear, 8in rears are not too hard to find. Lots of folks upgrade to the 9in rears and sell the 8in units.

Look for someone selling the engine and transmission or a parts car. I see them for sale around here all the time. I think their are 2 for sale right now.

That leaves the driveshaft. Youíll also need various small parts like the wiring harness, fuel line etc.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Well, basically, You need a whole V8 Drivetrain.... V8 Engine, V8 Front Springs, V8 Front Spindles, V8 Rear end....and so on....plus you have to make a decision to go with the Original Drum brake which might be cheap...but if you are rebuilding the Front End, You might as well put Disc Brakes while you are there...kind of stupid not to while everything is apart... The best/most cost effective way to do all this is buy a V8 Donor car with a good tranny and drivetrain...and swap over everything....If the donor car is rusty, who cares...as long as the drivetrain is decent... Most gearheads would probably choose to upgrade most parts such as the Front end, rear end, Upgraded Disc Brakes and install tranny shift kits if using a C4 Automatic and so on mostly with modern components while everything is already apart... or as I said just buy a Donor car, keep everything somewhat original and do the "Swap"..

It all depends what you want.....but warning...once you go down that rabbit hole, There is no going back...and your car will be laid up for a year or more in most cases..

)

Tony K.
tony pretty much hits it on the head here. and while you can swap things over a bit at a time, like swap the rear end to a V8 rear and springs, then the next weekend do the front suspension and and brakes.

lots of parts need to be changed out, and it will take time and money.

a better idea would be to build the six. you can make a 200 put out some decent power as well as turn in decent fuel economy. no it wont be a barn burner, but it will surprise people. a two barrel conversion, direct mount is best, perhaps even use two carter weber progressive two barrel carbs, again direct mount, a header with dual exhaust and a T5 conversion, and fit 3.73 gears in the rear end, and then upgrade the suspension like you would with a V8 car but without the stiffer springs, and you will have a decent handling street car that gets about 25mpg.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:15 PM

forgot to mention a cam change to something like the comp cams 260he grind. makes for a nice street package.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe I will just upgrade the 6er for now....keep my eye out for a v8 and slowly do the suspension and other things...I planned on changing the drum brakes anyways as well as doing the T5 conversion....how hard is it to do the two barrel conversion...although I am a noob I love working on cars I just like to mentally prepare myself.

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe I6...3spd
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Well, the basic chassis started out all the same so what you really need to do is remove all the pieces that were put on for a six-cylinder and put on all the pieces that were for a V8.

That list includes (plus stuff I forgot), under-hood wiring harnesses, fuel line, accelerator linkage, engine mounts, clutch equalizer bar and linkage, shifter and linkage, driveshaft, rear axle assembly, front springs, front spindles and steering stops, tie-rods, Pitman and idler arms, front brake assemblies, wheel bearings and seals, rear springs, rear brake assemblies, rear brake lines, chassis brake line if going to dual exhaust, radiator & hoses, exhaust system and some other incidentals...

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:33 PM

All the things that make a V8 car handle better will also work on the I6. Add a T5 transmission and it'll accelerate better, and even get better mileage. Dual exhaust and 2V carburation, and perhaps a cam upgrade, will really help. Disc brakes are no problem for the I6 now, you don't even have to replace the wheels.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 PM

I have done 5 conversions of I6 to V8 within the last 3 years and found it to be easy and rewarding.All parts are readily available and makes the car much more valuable and respected.I have only done fastbacks and convertibles.Attached are pictures of my latest one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0878.jpg (510.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0879.jpg (491.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0923.jpg (730.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0906.jpg (539.0 KB, 7 views)
Huskinhano likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:30 PM

Cool makes my car more rare!

It would be a lot easier to just sell the car as is and buy a real V8 car. Then upgrade from there. Otherwise the VIN number will always show a six cylinder car.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnexteme View Post
Maybe I will just upgrade the 6er for now....keep my eye out for a v8 and slowly do the suspension and other things...I planned on changing the drum brakes anyways as well as doing the T5 conversion....how hard is it to do the two barrel conversion...although I am a noob I love working on cars I just like to mentally prepare myself.
the two barrel conversion depends. there are two ways to do it, one is to use an adapter to mount the two barrel to the head, the other is to pull the head and have a machine shop mill the intake to mount the two barrel carb with an adapter. the second is called a direct mount conversion and is the best way to go.

the issue with using an adapter to mount to the one barrel is hood clearance. it is very tight. i did install a two barrel with the two to one barrel adapter, and it did work rather well, in fact better than i expected it to.

one more bit of advice, find a 70 or later head as they have the larger carb opening, 1.75" vs the early 1.5", as well as a larger intake log.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:42 PM

There's a lot to be said for the 6 cylinder. Ease of maintenance for one. Plenty of room to work. It's a reliable engine. If you're not going to run it hard, but just take it out to the drive in and a Sunday drive the 6 should do well. Just my opinion.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 PM

Turbo is easier and worth more in the end.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby289s View Post
I have done 5 conversions of I6 to V8 within the last 3 years and found it to be easy and rewarding.All parts are readily available and makes the car much more valuable and respected.I have only done fastbacks and convertibles.Attached are pictures of my latest one.
Very, very nice workmanship! That in itself adds a lot of value Imo.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page