First thing you noticed after you installed your export brace? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 16Likes

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM

anytime you can increase the stiffness of the chassis, even in a small amount, it is a good thing. some people can feel small changes, some cant, but you cant fool the stopwatch.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-1/2 first.... 66 now View Post
Yes, with a curved bar. I felt it would give me better distributor access.
Could you possibly post a picture. Would be interested in seeing how this all looks with the Thermactor stuff in place.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Machboy View Post
Ginpunk - ...The original tower bracing was practically cosmetic, being far too flimsy to actually stiffen the front or provider stiffness between the towers. Measures that do add to handling improvement but that will still look factory would be the lowering of the upper control arm mountings (Shelby Drop), replacing the factory spring perches with roller bearing perches (a bit pricey), increasing the front sway bar diameter over what the factory had used and replacing the factory lower cross support bar with the newer webbed bar that also inter-connects with the Camber adjustment bolts (same design used later on the Boss cars). These measures considerably reduce the amount of front frame flex that all classic Mustangs have because they are basically a spiffied up falcon when it comes to the unibody-frame structure.
Forgive my naivety- I read your post and enjoyed the information you presented, but I am unfamiliar with the term "factory lower cross support bar". Do you mean the front crossmember? Or the radiator support/crossmember?

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM

I noticed I had a place to put nuts, bolts and tools while working under the hood!

I installed it when I restored my car so I don't know what it did by itself if anything.

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreitz View Post
Could you possibly post a picture. Would be interested in seeing how this all looks with the Thermactor stuff in place.
Unfortunately all I have is a "before" picture and the engine is out now for a performance rebuild (aka..... that California stuff ain't goin back in). The curved bar does fit forward far enough that I had no interference with the thermactor hoses.
At the same time I added the curved Monte Carlo bar I also added the export brace and 1" front sway bar. What a difference, I went from barely able to make a normal turn, to cornering about as fast as I choose, with the main limitation now being the feeling of the rear wanting to break loose.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaz View Post
Forgive my naivety- I read your post and enjoyed the information you presented, but I am unfamiliar with the term "factory lower cross support bar". Do you mean the front crossmember? Or the radiator support/crossmember?
he is talking about the bar that runs under the engine and ties the suspension together to minimize front end flexing, and he use the correct term for it.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
he is talking about the bar that runs under the engine and ties the suspension together to minimize front end flexing, and he use the correct term for it.
Do you happen do have a picture? I don't think mine has this, the only thing that runs under my engine is my front crossmember, drag link, and sway bar.

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!

Last edited by Kwaz; 10-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Quote:
Do you happen do have a picture? I don't think mine has this, the only thing that runs under my engine is my front crossmember, drag link, and sway bar.
You both appear to be talking about the same part.

Z

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
When I did my drive-train upgrade work 2 years ago to my stock C Code '66 FB, I replaced/upgraded the following:

Installed a 1-piece export brace (the good one) & removed the factory export brace remnants.

Installed a STRAIGHT Monte Carlo bar (let's not start that debate again )

Performed the Arning drop

Installed Koni adjustables on all 4 corners

Removed the factory engine cross-member and replaced with a Z-member with jacking pad (highly recommend this upgrade)

The PO had already installed a 1 inch sway bar.

Alignment done to Arning drop specs as has been recommended here on the forum.

Now when I do some spirited driving, the front end no longer wonders and drifts. The feeling I have behind the wheel is that I am actually attached to the road and can put it into a corner without hesitation and know that it will stick there. (And it helps to have 100+ more HP - )

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
The steering and handling definitely felt more responsive. The biggest difference I noticed was with the addition of the monte carlo bar.
This. The export brace was put on so long ago, I don't remember if I noticed anything, but when I did the Monte Carlo bar a couple years ago, that was noticeable immediately, just on a normal turn. And I wasn't really expecting a difference, I knew it would help with support and stuff, but really had no expectations for better turning.
ginpunk likes this.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Just how much more enjoyable the car became.

I can almost drive over the broken/pot holes on the streets and freeways through out Los Angeles with out having the twisting to the left or right.

I no longer have to grip on the steering as hard as before
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpunk View Post
First thing you noticed after you installed your export brace?
My hand was bleeding on my valve cover.
Huskinhano and Mustang4SF like this.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreitz View Post
Clickable thumbnails from 2006, 3 years before the engine was pulled for a rebuild, so it should be very close to original configuration:

With respect to the original post, it just felt more solid and stable after installing the export brace. The MC bar was later.

Kevin
"One life, right? Don't blow it
!"

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
HmmmÖ I would not drive a Mustang without the crossmember.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 PM

I have the export brace, straight Monte Carlo bar, Zrayís TA style cross member and torque boxes on my 66. I canít really say on the export brace and Monte bar as my car is in decent shape and I did them early on before really driving the car hard. What I can say is itís not what you notice but what you DONíT notice. Suddenly my car is a lot quieter, no more creaks and groans. Generally a tighter feeling.

A car that flexes is not going to perform to itís best and a detriment to the life of the car. Things like a export brace and straight Monte Carlo bar are easy to install as long as the car hadnít been seriously wrecked and a no brainer to do. I would recommend them to anyone who doesnít show their car but drives it.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page