First thing you noticed after you installed your export brace? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 16Likes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHarvey View Post
(Quality) Sub frame connectors really made a difference. Both in handling and in general body flex.
That's very true and I was going to add that .. but I felt it would have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Without connecting the front "mini-frame" (that's what I call them) and the rear mini-frame, these two frame halves are mostly hanging on to each other thru the top's micro-frame and it's body skin and the doorway thresholds.

Last edited by 70Machboy; 10-16-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaz View Post
Forgive my naivety- I read your post and enjoyed the information you presented, but I am unfamiliar with the term "factory lower cross support bar". Do you mean the front crossmember? Or the radiator support/crossmember?
Better yet, I'll just include its picture. This one is CJ's, but there are many other manufactures (ie: Zray makes a very good one) of this bar. Sorry about my miss-naming - I tend to use my own terns describing things at times. Front Crossmember would have been better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJ Xmember.jpg (25.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 70Machboy; 10-16-2018 at 10:24 PM.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Machboy View Post
Better yet, I'll just include its picture. This one is CJ's, but there are many other manufactures (ie: Zray makes a very good one) of this bar. Sorry about my miss-naming - I tend to use my own terns describing things at times. Front Crossmember would have been better.

Oh okay awesome, no worries. It seems we were talking about the same thing after all! One day i hope to be able to afford Zrays, but for right now my factory one will do. There is one on my car, i thought you were referring to a different support of some sort however. Disregard!

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM

I want to add a Monte Carlo bar to my 68 but I heard even the curved bar does not fit with an A/C equipped car? Any truth to that?

1968 V8 Coupe
Factory AC
Factory Disc Brakes
Factory PS
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGRN68 View Post
I want to add a Monte Carlo bar to my 68 but I heard even the curved bar does not fit with an A/C equipped car? Any truth to that?
I don't know if the type of a/c compressor makes a difference, but with the rotary Sanden type compressors, a straight M/C bar fits OK on my '65 / '66's

Z.

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:

Might depend on the compressor, but check out the pictures @66KevinC-code posted. He has an A/C installed with a curved Monte Carlo bar and it fits.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
No. I have a straight bar right now, but when I was using an oval air cleaner, I had a curved bar. Both fit right over my Tecumseh cast-iron AC pump.
DKGRN68 likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KevinC-code View Post
Clickable thumbnails from 2006, 3 years before the engine was pulled for a rebuild, so it should be very close to original configuration:

With respect to the original post, it just felt more solid and stable after installing the export brace. The MC bar was later.
Wow - what kind of words would we hear why you are trying to change spark plugs?
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreitz View Post
Wow - what kind of words would we hear why you are trying to change spark plugs?
I don't have the original style air cleaner, AC,PS,PB,Emission stuff,Ect but the I do have a Monte Carlo bar and Export brace neither of which affect spark plug removal/install in any way
Doing plugs on my 05 Escape 3.0 and my Daughters 05 Mariner 3.0 requires removing the upper air plenum but even they aren't the worst to do

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 10-18-2018 at 01:00 AM.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreitz View Post
Wasn't that bad; easier than changing them on a '68 Cougar with a 390...

Kevin
"One life, right? Don't blow it
!"

post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

Nothing. When I bought my car it had one already installed so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The car handles quite well though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page