EFI Upgrade: Holley Sniper w/ Aeromotive - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 79Likes

post #31 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Most of the single planes are quite tall (5in and higher)presenting throttle linkage problems AND hood clearance issues with stock type air cleaners. The Torker II has a carb flange height of 4.59in. Which is actually lower than the performer rpm at 4.90. I think stock is around 4.4ish? Someone else could correct me.
Yep, my options were to keep the Performer RPM (dual plane), step up to a Victor Jr (Over an inch taller), or drop down to a Torquer II to use the next best single plane intake. I'm running a 20" oval Cobra intake with a 3" element that is already rubbing the underside of my hood. Yes, I could drop to a 1" airfilter, but didn't want to compromise the flow.
Rowdy and david1032 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1032 View Post
If upgrading to the Sniper EFI, what are peoples thoughts on pairing it with the Sniper EFI Hyperspark Ignition Systems (Distributor/box/Coil)? Worth the money? Does anyone have any experience with that package?
I'll let you know. I needed a new distributor anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me. I looked into one of their dual-pickup dizzys (specifically the low profile) because they were recommended on the Holley forum, but the tech I spoke to told me they weren't interchangable, so I just went with the hyperspark model.
AC77 and david1032 like this.
post #33 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
There are a lot of dizzy and ignition options for Sniper. I am running a 2 wire MSD with the phased rotor and the mechanical advance locked out. No MSD 6al, but running an MSD blaster coil, and the included Sniper coil driver. I am running a dual plane with 1" spacer but have a single plane i may try down the road.

post #34 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM

I am also considering the Holley Sniper but have an older Edelbrock dual plane for my 351C with 2v heads. Should I grind an air gap? Try a carb spacer? (height is an issue with the shaker) Look for a single plane intake - few to choose from with 2v heads? Consider another EFI? Buy the Sniper and hope for the best?
post #35 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg in tx View Post
I am also considering the Holley Sniper but have an older Edelbrock dual plane for my 351C with 2v heads. Should I grind an air gap? Try a carb spacer? (height is an issue with the shaker) Look for a single plane intake - few to choose from with 2v heads? Consider another EFI? Buy the Sniper and hope for the best?
I know the cleveland is a bit limited with the 2v heads for intakes. Maybe just notch the divider in your intake. I found No change from the 1/2in spacer and it created other problems for me with linkage and hood clearance. Some people have had good success with that. The Sniper is ok with a dual plane. Most of us are just SUPER picky.
post #36 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
Yep, my options were to keep the Performer RPM (dual plane), step up to a Victor Jr (Over an inch taller), or drop down to a Torquer II to use the next best single plane intake. I'm running a 20" oval Cobra intake with a 3" element that is already rubbing the underside of my hood. Yes, I could drop to a 1" airfilter, but didn't want to compromise the flow.
Its not exactly a drop down from the performer RPM to the Torker II. Its actually a bit of a step up. AND you gain a half inch as it sits lower than the rpm. Mine should be here from Summit this week. I'll hopefully have it on and start driving it around on nice days before christmas.

I personally think the Victor Jr. is a good intake.. if you have the space for it.
david1032 likes this.
post #37 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Phil! Thank the maker youíre alive!
post #38 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg in tx View Post
Weiand Xcellerator 2V. Great manifold. Part number 7516

Last edited by CantedValve; 10-23-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #39 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1032 View Post
Looking forward to hearing your feedback on how this all works out for you Wsmatau. Also, would like to see the fuel line photos from Rowdy.

IMG-1135

IMG-1132

I/ll go lay under the car some time tmrw to show the hard lines.
david1032 likes this.
post #40 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:36 PM

Also, you can kinda see it in the posts with the fuel lines, but heres another issue with the taller intakes. The Performer RPM included.

IMG-1133

IMG-1137

Thats quite a bit of angle on the threaded rod I'm using. The stock rod flexes a lot and was even more of an angle. Yes, I have an adapter on there to lengthen the throw of the butterflies. While the normal position may be ok for stock motors, the throttle was super touchy with my 331. Exaggerating the problem. Sure I could go to a cable and a Lokar pedal setup, but then I'd lose the factory look in the interior. You can also see how high the performer RPM sits. AND it was worse with the stock motor mounts. Car now has the RM 1/2in lower mounts.
david1032 likes this.
post #41 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I'll let you know. I needed a new distributor anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me. I looked into one of their dual-pickup dizzys (specifically the low profile) because they were recommended on the Holley forum, but the tech I spoke to told me they weren't interchangable, so I just went with the hyperspark model.
Belay my last. When I ordered everything through Holley they told me everything was in stock. I was notified this morning that the hyperspark and distributor won't ship until 11/22. I'll be lucky if I get the car out before it snows.
post #42 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I personally think the Victor Jr. is a good intake.. if you have the space for it.
Completely agree and I have a feeling I'll end up there, but for now the TII will get me where I need to be. When I tear it all apart and build my 408, things may change
david1032 likes this.
post #43 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Completely agree and I have a feeling I'll end up there, but for now the TII will get me where I need to be. When I tear it all apart and build my 408, things may change
Im also sticking with the TII. More than plenty for a +400hp stroker thats in the car now.

I'll be curious to see how it compares now that I know the car with the dual plane.
david1032 likes this.
post #44 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Im also sticking with the TII. More than plenty for a +400hp stroker thats in the car now.

I'll be curious to see how it compares now that I know the car with the dual plane.

Iíve got the performer rpm so Iíll be interested to hear how the TII works for you. Will be good info for me to know before buying everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David
post #45 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
IMG-1135

IMG-1132

I/ll go lay under the car some time tmrw to show the hard lines.

What type of fittings did you use to transition from the steel fuel line to the braided hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page