EFI Upgrade: Holley Sniper w/ Aeromotive - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 79Likes

post #46 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatstang66 View Post
What type of fittings did you use to transition from the steel fuel line to the braided hose?

3/8 line matches 6AN. Slip the tube nut couplers over and then flared the steel line. Connected pretty easy.

I've almost got the Performer off now. Just need to drop the coolant and finish the bolts. Hopefully when I get back from work I'll have it back and buttoned up in a few hours.
david1032 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How’s it working with the Torker Rowdy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David
post #48 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1032 View Post
How’s it working with the Torker Rowdy?
I'm doing the swap today! Off to work for 4 days after though.. so won't be able to report for a couple weeks.
david1032 likes this.

post #49 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Well, ****! Despite decent planning, I've gotten myself into a spot where I'm getting indecisive. Supposedly, my 357W has a flat tappet XE284H with hydraulic lifters in a '70 block (oddball I know). I think that cam is just too big for a street driven car. I don't want to pull the engine, because if I did I'd probably be better off rebuilding it to a 408. I want to try the Sniper with what I have, as is. I also swapped my heads for a set of AFR185s, and bought some Doug's longtubes (that don't fit even though I called to confirm they would). My mechanic recommends sending the headers back because I already have mid length headers. I was hoping to drop temps (jet-hot) more than pick up HP, but he thought I'd be fine with what I have and said the jet hot shouldn't make as big a difference as everything I've read online.

So, I'm looking for opinions, mostly on the cam. Do I go forward with it (it was in the car before) and hope the Sniper can manage, or bite the bullet and order a better match for my combo?
post #50 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
Well, ****! Despite decent planning, I've gotten myself into a spot where I'm getting indecisive. Supposedly, my 357W has a flat tappet XE284H with hydraulic lifters in a '70 block (oddball I know). I think that cam is just too big for a street driven car. I don't want to pull the engine, because if I did I'd probably be better off rebuilding it to a 408. I want to try the Sniper with what I have, as is. I also swapped my heads for a set of AFR185s, and bought some Doug's longtubes (that don't fit even though I called to confirm they would). My mechanic recommends sending the headers back because I already have mid length headers. I was hoping to drop temps (jet-hot) more than pick up HP, but he thought I'd be fine with what I have and said the jet hot shouldn't make as big a difference as everything I've read online.

So, I'm looking for opinions, mostly on the cam. Do I go forward with it (it was in the car before) and hope the Sniper can manage, or bite the bullet and order a better match for my combo?
As far as the cam goes I think you will probably be ok with that cam, I have a xe274HR in my 347 and wish it was bigger. As far as the long-tubes I have no comment about fitment but jet-hot coating (or really any thermal coating) makes a big difference. I had my hooker comp headers jet-hot coated a number of years ago, and there was dramatic difference in under hood temps, plus because they didn't get as hot, your were able to work on in and around the headers sooner with out the risk of burns. (and it just looks nicer)
Wsmatau likes this.

ET: [email protected] mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #51 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Maybe I'll just send what I have out for a ceramic coating. I e-mailed FPS and they want $1200 for a similar set.
post #52 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Banned

Did you check with JBA headers? I bought mine ceramic coated for around $500
rhutt likes this.
post #53 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANG65FBK View Post
Did you check with JBA headers? I bought mine ceramic coated for around $500
The Doug's I bought were jet-hot coated off of Summit and with the sale were right at $500. It wasn't the price. They didn't fit. I even called Doug's to ensure I had the right part number for my combo ('68 w/ z bar and TC steering rack) because the Doug's website is terrible. I should have trusted my gut.

I don't think longtubes will really offer that much more HP gain. I was primarily looking for the temp reduction. I'll put it off until I do a full stroker, down the road.
post #54 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
The Doug's I bought were jet-hot coated off of Summit and with the sale were right at $500. It wasn't the price. They didn't fit. I even called Doug's to ensure I had the right part number for my combo ('68 w/ z bar and TC steering rack) because the Doug's website is terrible. I should have trusted my gut.

I don't think longtubes will really offer that much more HP gain. I was primarily looking for the temp reduction. I'll put it off until I do a full stroker, down the road.
What I'm saying is that the JBA's seem to be about $500 or so cheaper than getting the others you mentioned ceramic coated by FPS, maybe FPA? I'd ship the Doug's headers back and get JBA's. They make a shorty/mid-length header that I have personally have on my car and love them. They're a great fit and a great product, I'd highly recommend them.

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK; 11-04-2018 at 09:09 PM.
post #55 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone know if it would it be possible to get the Hyperspark Ignition, Coil and Distributor and install/run it with a carburetor for a while and then add the Sniper EFI later? Or do the HyperSpark parts only work with the Sniper?

David
post #56 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Does anyone know if it would it be possible to get the Hyperspark Ignition, Coil and Distributor and install/run it with a carburetor for a while and then add the Sniper EFI later? Or do the HyperSpark parts only work with the Sniper?

I’m going to answer my own question. I called Holley Tech. No, you can’t use the hyperspark package with a carburetor.

David
post #57 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 PM

That's surprising, but thank for the info!
david1032 likes this.
post #58 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM

For those interested.. I finished installing the Torker II today...

Other than a coolant leak (my own fault) I am VERY pleased.

Sadly it got dark as I took it for a quick test drive, but my initial impression is a good one. Idle is more stable. It fired on the first turn of the starter. It pulls away from a stop easier and generally responded smoother. I only did about a 2km loop.. but I'm happier. I'm sure as the sniper adjusts it'll only get better.
david1032 likes this.
post #59 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
For those interested.. I finished installing the Torker II today...

Other than a coolant leak (my own fault) I am VERY pleased.

Sadly it got dark as I took it for a quick test drive, but my initial impression is a good one. Idle is more stable. It fired on the first turn of the starter. It pulls away from a stop easier and generally responded smoother. I only did about a 2km loop.. but I'm happier. I'm sure as the sniper adjusts it'll only get better.

Thanks for the update. Was the difference between the torker and the performer significantly noticeable? Would you say it would be worth switching to a torker if you have a performer?

David
post #60 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Was the difference between the torker and the performer significantly noticeable? Would you say it would be worth switching to a torker if you have a performer?

the TBI style fuel injection setups just like single planes more. A dual plane like the performer will be ok if thats what you've already got, but a single plane will just be better all around.

It depends on how picky you are. I drive this thing. A LOT. So I wanted it to have a nice clean and smooth idle and off idle transition. Mission accomplished. My good buddy switched to a victor JR (he has a cowl hood) and had the same remarks I did. Noticeably better.
david1032 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page