68Hildago and Nailbender like this.

'67 Coupe, 347 w/ Holley Terminator EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I wish I had thought about the JB Weld before I ordered the new Moser axles that arrived today. The shaft is about 3/16" thicker and much better looking! Looks like I'll be breaking something else next time. Used my commie press to install the studs and bearings. And I didn't forget to install the bearing retainer plates before pressing on the bearings! I'm not physically able to remove the pumpkin to really clean things up for at least 3 more months, so I hope the magnet I fished down the axle tube got all the metal bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1137.JPG (309.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1139.jpg (256.2 KB, 9 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
"....... so I hope the magnet I fished down the axle tube got all the metal bits.
You can stick one of those rare earth magnets on the outside of the pumpkin at the very bottom. Then never worry about any axle bits or any gear dust grinding away at the innards.

Z
Huskinhano likes this.

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
You can stick one of those rare earth magnets on the outside of the pumpkin at the very bottom. Then never worry about any axle bits or any gear dust grinding away at the innards.

Z
Yep! Just ordered both the bar and disks magnets from Amazon. Figure I'll put the bars at the bottom of the axle tube before the housing and the disks on the bottom of the pumpkin.
Huskinhano and zray like this.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm finding even more downsides to having sticky tires at an autocross, or this weekend an autocross school and test and tune. The Bridgstone RE71's pick up every bit of the tar used to fill the cracks in asphalt and do not let go. Between the autocross school on Saturday and the test and tune today I and a few trusted friends did about 60 runs on the car in 90 or near heat. The car in general and especially the SoT coilover got excellent reviews from experienced drivers with probably 50 years combined auto crossing. So I'm the weak link, not the car.

Picture is after driving 25 miles home after todays test and tune. Couldn't go over 50 mph without the steering wheel shaking out of my hands! I cleaned off the rears on the way home. You can do a 1-2 bang shift on a T5z and keep the fun going for quite a while! I'll probably rotate and repeat the cleaning procedure on the 4th!

P.S. The Bilstien rear shocks 110% cured the wheel hop mentioned earlier in this thread. Gone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (315.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Nailbender; 06-30-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm finding even more downsides to having sticky tires at an autocross, or this weekend an autocross school and test and tune. The Bridgstone RE71's pick up every bit of the tar used to fill the cracks in asphalt and do not let go. Between the autocross school on Saturday and the test and tune today I and a few trusted friends did about 60 runs on the car in 90 or near heat. The car in general and especially the SoT coilover got excellent reviews from experienced drivers with probably 50 years combined auto crossing. So I'm the weak link, not the car.

Picture is after driving 25 miles home after todays test and tune. Couldn't go over 50 mph without the steering wheel shaking out of my hands! I cleaned off the rears on the way home. You can do a 1-2 bang shift on a T5z and keep the fun going for quite a while! I'll probably rotate and repeat the cleaning procedure on the 4th!

P.S. The Bilstien rear shocks 110% cured the wheel hop mentioned earlier in this thread. Gone!
That pic is better than the one @zray has posted of his Avons with the coins glued to the tread
zray likes this.

Brad
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
That pic is better than the one @zray has posted of his Avons with the coins glued to the tread
I'll have my new found fan base throw some coins on the track next weekend! Evidently everybody loves an old Mustang! Literally people showed up today to watch me fail epically. Actually I'd prefer the second best set of tires on the track and let the other guy take home the tar!
2nd 66 likes this.

post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'll have my new found fan base throw some coins on the track next weekend! Evidently everybody loves an old Mustang! Literally people showed up today to watch me fail epically. Actually I'd prefer the second best set of tires on the track and let the other guy take home the tar!
don't feel to bad I had 5 out of 5 DNF's last Sunday. Some Wile E Coyote super genius decided it was a good idea to change the course after I had already walked it twice. Plus I was somewhat distracted,she drove a Focus RS. My head wasn't in the game .
On the bright side I drove to and from without incident

Brad
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

The fairer sex seems to be be as or more interested in automotive pursuits these days. All of them younger than my daughter. Sadly they are all burning rice.
2nd 66 likes this.

post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post

when I sold the K code, I offered to put some new tires on it and me keep the Avons. The guy must've thought it was some kind of trick, so he declined. About 3 months later out of the blue the new owner calls me and tried to sell me the Avons. Turns out, they were picking up lots of road grit in city driving, and making a helluva racket when the grit and rocks were spun off of the tires. (well. I warned him, sorta kinda...)

I told him if he'd just drive a lot faster the road grit wouldn't have time to latch on.

Z
2nd 66 and Nailbender like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page