Where to find parts in Canada. - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Millenium Mustang in Tilbury(delta BC) and Hot Rods and Classics here in Chilliwack. Anything out of the ordinary I order from CJ or NPD and ship to my US mailbox. The charges for customs and duty are usually insanity otherwise.

Second that. Just picked up a part from Jeff at Millenium Mustang today. Great guy, wealth of knowledge, lots of parts and good prices. Awful website and probably better to call him than navigate that travesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

OK, this in some ways is a bit ambiguous, but it's the best I can do, given the complexity of the topic...

Our latest go-round with UPS landed us a deal that reduces our brokerage-fees by 60%-80%, depending upon the value of the order (it's tiered). So basically, it's an ENORMOUS cut that should greatly reduce your landed cost. The savings are already effective.

We do our best to ship USPS when we can, which eliminates some of these expenses, but USPS is a mixed-bag, because the size/weight limitations are more restrictive, and on heavier orders, USPS is often more-expensive than UPS. Not to mention USPS isn't as reliable and quick as UPS. So it's a bit of a monkey puzzle.

Online, due to the complexities of orders (i.e. you can't put a hood molding in the same box with a brake drum, and you can't hope to write a computer program that takes into account all the various "what-if's" of packing/shipping an order such that everything arrives unscathed), we are forced to simply look at our overall expenses into Canada, versus our overall revenues from Canadian orders (shipping charges), and come up with a flat-rate percentage to charge. That rate online is currently 20%. And currently, we're actually losing money on shipping with the 20% rate, but that's where it's sitting for now. I know that other companies like Summit are more sophisticated in calculating shipping to Canada, but we're not a behemoth like Summit..

If you CALL your order in (Michigan is usually the logical place to call, unless you're in BC or Alberta, in which case California should be your target), we have the latitude of determining best-carrier (balancing cost/speed/size) and bill you "actual cost", which may sometimes be cheaper than our 20% rate, but sometimes may be more. It depends on the contents of the order, and how it needs to be packed.

That's the best I we can do with it. No business can afford to ship at a considerable-loss ongoing, without either adjusting/changing their fee structure, or by simply HIDING the costs of shipping by inflating the costs of the merchandise (burying shipping expense into the prices of parts). Long story short, we don't do that...

Rick
NPD
DrStang and 68Hildago like this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Building my car back in the early 2000's in Canada, we had the high shipping brokerage fees from the US AND, I paid over $1.55 For the equivalent 1 USD. Canadian dollar was only worth 64 cents.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
Thanks Rick.

Your explanation makes sense. Your honesty is even more impressive.

Which is why you have such a good reputation are usually the go to company.
Caper50 likes this.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Appreciate the update.....
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprince View Post
Thanks Rick.

Your explanation makes sense. Your honesty is even more impressive.

Which is why you have such a good reputation are usually the go to company.

Ditto, thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM

@69bossnine Just received my first non UPS shipment from National Parts Depot Michigan store. Shipment was USPS this time and shipping time was excellent. AND the BEST PART was NO BROKERAGE fee this time. Huge thanks to Rick and the NPD team, they are top shelf!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
@69bossnine Just received my first non UPS shipment from National Parts Depot Michigan store. Shipment was USPS this time and shipping time was excellent. AND the BEST PART was NO BROKERAGE fee this time. Huge thanks to Rick and the NPD team, they are top shelf!
Thank you!!

Rick
NPD
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 AM

I have been using Mustang Shop a lot in last year. Some mixed up orders but returns are no issue. They usually us FedX with reasonably fees, example Calgary to Edmonton area small box next day $18 usually. I have used MS for NPD stuff due to shipping cost but I will try new regime. I recently went to MS to pick up parts and new store is nice with three order desks, they are busy so phone line waits are no surprise. They do stock a lot of parts from my experience and hold parts for me until shipping make sense. NOW if we could just get the Canadian up to par ASAP, guaranteed to sky rocket after my build.......
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 AM

I had no issue with getting ahold of the Mustang shop back in Aug,we needed a neutral safety switch and some other stuff and they even brought it to the IMM in Edmonton !
Jeff has always been good to deal with as well.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page