Spare $209K for Modern Boss 429? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
Itís stupid. Why say Boss 429 on the fender and they say Boss 546 on the engine?

This. Why even call it a Boss 429 with a 546 in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford.P51 View Post
This. Why even call it a Boss 429 with a 546 in it?

Mine will say Boss 429 on the side, but also say Boss 600 under the hood....

Ricks Boss 429 says Boss 429 on the side, but its a 494. So, you think he should change the badging on the outside to match the displacement? Or was the Boss 429 a combination of unique combination parts that the entire car special.

The displacement doesn't matter! Its the heads! Its always about the heads. Everything that makes the car different was to accommodate those beautiful heads.
Huntingky likes this.

2013 Viper GTS 1/2 mile best of 157.99mph 8.4L V10 @ 600whp
2005 Ram SRT10 with T56 Conversion and many other mods
2005 Mustang GT 5 speed- wife's daily
2016 Nissan Maxima SR - wife's other daily
1973 Lincoln Mark IV- triple black
1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback

Last edited by Viperpete; 11-05-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperpete View Post
Mine will say Boss 429 on the side, but also say Boss 600 under the hood....

Ricks Boss 429 says Boss 429 on the side, but its a 494. So, you think he should change the badging on the outside to match the displacement? Or was the Boss 429 a combination of unique combination parts that the entire car special.

The displacement doesn't matter! Its the heads! Its always about the heads. Everything that makes the car different was to accommodate those beautiful heads.

If I recall correctly, you are making a Boss 429 clone - no issues with your engine. Your car, you should do exactly what you want.

Ricks Boss 429 is a genuine Boss 429 correct? No reason to change that.

But to sell a new product as a Boss 429, but not have a 429 engine in it, that makes no sense. Its got 18" wheels, painted bumpers and trim, completely different interior, different gas cap, and a 546 engine. And those are the differences spotted in 2 seconds. There is nothing that makes it recognizable as a Boss 429 except the hood scoop. Anyone can buy that scoop and put it on a 69-70 fastback.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but I don't understand the Boss 429 continuation angle. It's nothing like a Boss 429. Had the engine been a 429 then they would have been able to hang their hat on that with all of the other mods.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford.P51 View Post
If I recall correctly, you are making a Boss 429 clone - no issues with your engine. Your car, you should do exactly what you want.
Ricks Boss 429 is a genuine Boss 429 correct? No reason to change that.
But to sell a new product as a Boss 429, but not have a 429 engine in it, that makes no sense. Its got 18" wheels, painted bumpers and trim, completely different interior, different gas cap, and a 546 engine. And those are the differences spotted in 2 seconds. There is nothing that makes it recognizable as a Boss 429 except the hood scoop. Anyone can buy that scoop and put it on a 69-70 fastback.
Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but I don't understand the Boss 429 continuation angle. It's nothing like a Boss 429. Had the engine been a 429 then they would have been able to hang their hat on that with all of the other mods.
I see your point. It really should be a bone stock car for them to call it a Boss 429 and advertise it as new.

1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM

I agree that someone could spend a fraction of the money and get a better car. I can see someone with mega bucks and wanting a Boss 9 to drive spending the money, although, that kind of money is still too expensive for me to drive around.

As far as it not having a genuine 429 engine, it has the heads. Those are what separate the Boss from any other 429 or FBB. Has everyone here that rebuilt their engine re-badged their car to reflect new displacement after a rebore or crank swap? I know for a FACT there are a bunch of cars with 289/302 emblems running 306/312/331 engines in them.

The truth is, it will end up being a faster, better handling car than the original. It is not much different than a lot of restomods being built, just built by a factory for a WHOLE lot more money.
Viperpete likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
What's everyone's take on the 1st year depreciation on these "new" Boss 429's? I bet its colossal...
Ford.P51 likes this.

1999 Dodge Avenger
1969 Mustang Fastback
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Pro built restomods cost 200k these days. And that's just to start, and you may need to supply the donor.

On the other hand, I don't see these cars holding their value - even with the continuation designation.

But hey, I could be wrong, I didn't see the Fox Mustangs being bid to 25K+ nowadays either.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperpete View Post
What's everyone's take on the 1st year depreciation on these "new" Boss 429's? I bet its colossal...

#huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStang View Post
Pro built restomods cost 200k these days. And that's just to start, and you may need to supply the donor.
A couple of years ago, I was talking with a guy up in Reno about his Nova. Real nice car with a big block chevy under the hood. He supplied the car and spent 180K getting it to where he wanted it. There's no way he'll ever get that for his car now. Nice car...yes. 180K? No

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:56 PM

I don't know, I think you guy are being a bit hard on the car.

What if you could buy this exact car for $500 (you have to keep it - not flip it) Would you pay $500? There are folks here would buy it for $500 but there are people in the world who will feel the pain of spending 200K + less than you or I will feel spending $500. They won't have to come up with a donor or or do the work themselves, or consign a car to a restorer that may take years and perform dubious work. All they have to do is see this in the Christmas Hammacher Schlemmer catalog and write a check for a turn key car with a warranty.

My only gripe is that, like others have mentioned, I don't like the idea of using one of the dwindling number of vintage shells left to build this car, or any other "tribute" project. But if they were using the Dynacorn repro shell, I'd say have at it.

John
Rebel Racing likes this.

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...

Last edited by John_Del; 11-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:25 PM

The price tag is well within what the custom car industry is charging for these cars. It's within my budget but I don't want to risk the roulette wheel market for these continuation cars. Now the exotic car buyer who wants to add a reliable turn key classic to his stable, this is perfect.

Check out what they are doing to Dodge Power Wagons for over 300K

https://desertpowerwagons.com/

-
John_Del and Huntingky like this.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I wish Dynacorn would make bodies for these guys so they don't scoop up all the 69s sport roofs left out there. They are hard enough to come by as it is.
they do ,for a mere 18.5K. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brad
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Del View Post
I don't know, I think you guy are being a bit hard on the car.

What if you could buy this exact car for $500 (you have to keep it - not flip it) Would you pay $500? There are folks here would buy it for $500 but there are people in the world who will feel the pain of spending 200K + less than you or I will feel spending $500. They won't have to come up with a donor or or do the work themselves, or consign a car to a restorer that may take years and perform dubious work. All they have to do is see this in the Christmas Hammacher Schlemmer catalog and write a check for a turn key car with a warranty.

My only gripe is that, like others have mentioned, I don't like the idea of using one of the dwindling number of vintage shells left to build this car, or any other "tribute" project. But if they were using the Dynacorn repro shell, I'd say have at it.

John
Making a quick reply but yes, it isn't a real BOSS but it looks good to some and the buyer is happy. Not my taste but hey, it has the semi classic look. Not offended, personally.
John_Del likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page