• 1 Post By 4ocious
  • 1 Post By stephen_wilson
  • 1 Post By alex1965

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Remote Short-Throw Shifter

That was the subject of my first ever thread here at VMF. After having lurked for a few years (and with no intention of becoming a member) I couldn't find what I was looking for and so gave in and joined up to ask.

In the end what I came up with, the second version of it, works. I had thought up all sorts of Rube Goldberg type contraptions and discarded them. Then I went to Dr. Seuss ideas which wouldn't have worked either. Oh well.

It was a simple solution after all. Just get a second shifter entirely, cut the ball and part of the arm off it up inside, remove both the adjustment/stop screws, and fasten it to the center hump directly behind and in line with the shift base poking up forward. Then connect the two together with Aluminum arms, spring washers, and nylocs. So simple a cave man could do it.

This necessitated a console to cover the ugly thing up so that was a later project.

Doe it work? Heck yes it does. Snick, snick, quick. Haven't missed a shift yet. The biggest concern I'd had was vibration, which turned out to be negligible to the point of you don't notice any.

The shifter knob falls to hand, the action is direct forward/back instead of reaching somewhat up and down, a true short throw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (12).jpg (343.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg maggie3.jpg (612.0 KB, 20 views)
sycostang67 likes this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 11-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:14 PM

That’s an interesting design but is it truly a short throw shifter? They appear to be 2 stock shifters with stock pick up points and not aftermarket short throws with altered geometry. Or did you modify the geometry of the mounting points of the linkage somehow to alter the throw on the forward shifter? What length are the linkage bars?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
What did you use for bushings at the pivot points? That's something that tends to be a big long term concern even on OEM shift linkages. If no provision then I foresee the holes on the aluminum going oval shaped before too long. I think I would prefer some radial bearings in the aluminum there myself. Though you could just use ball and socket rods. They are pretty simple to implement. I had my doubts but sprung for a whole set of ball and socket rods for my Rube Goldbergian VW MK1 shift linkage of terrible reputation and it's held well for years. Stuff like this.
You can go total overkill and use bearing type rod ends but I've got ten years of daily driving on the rods I put in so I know they hold up better than expected. Just a tiny dab of good old Ford black moly grease when I put them in and untouched since.

And of course if you did some nylon or oilite bushings or whatever and it ain't broke...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian66 View Post
Thatís an interesting design but is it truly a short throw shifter?
Yes. It's a M-7003-Z so it came with it. It just pokes up in a less than optimum location in our old mustangs by virtue of the fulcrum point. That's what needs to be moved back to get full benefit of it both reach and throw-wise. The holes in the aluminum arms on mine are at 10.5" o.c., but most would likely be thrilled with just 6-8" (An old football injury cost me some reach in my right arm). I always liked those euro style shifters by ZF or Getrag (or whomever) you find in Porsches/BMW M cars for example. Mine is somewhat similar to those now, and it's a true pleasure shifting with it.

Of all the mods I did on my build this was the single most "fun-to-drive" dynamic improvement.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
What did you use for bushings at the pivot points?
The first version I made I put nylon sleeves in. Made the whole feel too "spongy" so I went to 1/4" thick aluminum bars and no bushings. With two on each end to spread wear load, so far so good.
It will be interesting to see how long it goes before I can detect any looseness in it.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Well, you got me on how long it will be before it becomes an issue for you. I'm guessing that if you are a "gentle" driver and the car only gets out a couple times a month it could be years. But if you drive like Kelly H then I'd estimate months. Since you know to watch it for it and are well capable of sorting it out, it's not a big concern.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:07 AM

You have 2 wear surfaces, the hole I.D in fore/aft motions, and the washer "thrust" surfaces in lateral motions. On my race car I put large, thin Teflon washers under the standard washers to reduce or eliminate wear. As for the hole I.D. , you could bush it with a plain Oilite or similar Bronze bushing with a light press fit. You could even use a bronze flanged bushing with a thrust washer on the other side in place of the Teflon washers.
4ocious likes this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Well, you got me on how long it will be before it becomes an issue for you. I'm guessing that if you are a "gentle" driver and the car only gets out a couple times a month it could be years. But if you drive like Kelly H then I'd estimate months. Since you know to watch it for it and are well capable of sorting it out, it's not a big concern.
It's been about seven months now and I drive it all the time. I haven't had to tighten or adjust it at all. It is slick and I think the best idea for the car I had.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
Okay, this is cool.
4ocious likes this.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:08 PM

Mustangs plus used to sell something like this several years ago.
I don't believe they sell it anymore. At least one guy here on the forum has the mustangs plus setup.
Never heard anything negative about it. I believe they had rod ends or some sort of spherical bearing at the connection points.
See this link:
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/spe...ter/index.html

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Mustangs plus used to sell something like this several years ago.
I don't believe they sell it anymore. At least one guy here on the forum has the mustangs plus setup.
Never heard anything negative about it. I believe they had rod ends or some sort of spherical bearing at the connection points.
See this link:
Mustangs Plus
I looked at those early on and thought them flimsy looking and really didn't like that high connection point on the remote. If you try to cover that connection up to hide it (can you?) it would look doofy. If you don't cover it, even doofier. I also didn't like the tiny base on the thing. It was not substantial enough imo. They stopped making them years ago now and I can imagine why. You see them used pop up for sale from time to time. People trying to get rid of them and get something back I guess. If someone has one and likes it, good.
A great idea in theory but it failed in the marketplace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page