Wiped Cam Lobe? - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 64Likes

post #46 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
I have always thought, running the softest valve springs possible is wise as it will have less resistance to turn the cam. I do not buy the idea that some lobes are going down, so they offset the up turns.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Do you have a reference for this statement? I ask because I've never seen anything suggesting this. Everything I have read indicates flat tappet lifters float on a layer of oil which just as slick as a roller lifter. I've also read about Smokey Yunick rollerizing everything possible on a test engine and learning it made absolutely no difference in power output.

I will readily accept I'm completely out to lunch on this subject if I see credible evidence.

Good call out. I remember that from a long time ago. It was a statement from a Pontiac engineer. So I googled it or info any way. Go to page 2, bullet 2. According to that piston and ring friction is 60%, rod and main 30% which would leave 10% valve train. Looks like pistons with low tension rings and anti friction coating on the skirts is the low hanging fruit.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/44506.pdf

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #48 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
There's an interesting episode of "Engine Masters" where they directly compare a flat tappet cam to a roller cam. The Roller cam had a definite advantage, but only above 5,000 RPM as I recall. The advantage was about 25 HP. Roller cams do have an advantage in high-RPM applications that most street engines will never see.
it's very easy to get a street engine to 5000 rpm and above if it has any gear at all (and especially if it has a decent amount of power). whether or not the engine sees that RPM is up to the operator. so I encourage you to not put some sort of ceiling on the engine just because it's on the street.

post #49 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedemon View Post
it's very easy to get a street engine to 5000 rpm and above if it has any gear at all (and especially if it has a decent amount of power). whether or not the engine sees that RPM is up to the operator. so I encourage you to not put some sort of ceiling on the engine just because it's on the street.
Very good point and I do understand that. In fact, in the brief time I drove my Mustang, if I gave it any gas at all, the engine zipped up to 5,000 almost instantly in every gear except OD. The tires didn't break traction at all. I have a 3.70 rear gear and it could have easily spun above 6,000. (I think the cam is designed to pull up to 6,500.)

My point was some people seem to believe a roller cam significantly improves overall performance and I don't think that's the case.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

Last edited by Klutch; 11-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #50 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:31 AM

I always thought roller cams and lifters were all about reliability.
post #51 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford.P51 View Post
I always thought roller cams and lifters were all about reliability.
They are! No break in. After my initial wiped cam, I headed straight for the roller door. Sounds like a sewing machine.....except for the exhaust.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #52 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
My point was some people seem to believe a roller cam significantly improves overall performance and I don't think that's the case.
Roller lifters allow for more aggressive profiles than flat tappets, so they can improve the "area under the curve" and allow for a valve being held open higher for a longer a period of time, which improves performance.
Chaplin likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #53 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 PM

After have just gone through this with my 289, that video looks just like the stuck lifter that I had. Intake on #6 would only go up about half way just like the video. Pulled the intake and checked the location and the lifter was already stuck. Engine out, metal every where rebuild. It also ate the cam lobe for good measure.

Looks like you might have to pull the engine. Check out the picture for an idea of what happened.

Sorry this happened to you and hope your not in the same mess I am in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (355.4 KB, 32 views)

WIP 66 A Code GT Silver Frost w/Pony Interior
San Jose Built and Delivered 1/19/1966
Currently Replacing Drive Line and installing a T5 setup w/9" Currie rear
Wilwood all around

First Mustang! Bought August 2016
Currently working on fixing all the wrongs and updating for a safe drive
Bodywork and Paint after saving up the cash!

post #54 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero66GT View Post
After have just gone through this with my 289, that video looks just like the stuck lifter that I had. Intake on #6 would only go up about half way just like the video. Pulled the intake and checked the location and the lifter was already stuck. Engine out, metal every where rebuild. It also ate the cam lobe for good measure.

Looks like you might have to pull the engine. Check out the picture for an idea of what happened.

Sorry this happened to you and hope your not in the same mess I am in.
Do you know what caused your stuck lifter?

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #55 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM

My best guess was the valve lash wasn't setup correctly and should have been checked before running it for the first time/brake in.

I figure the small amount of play is what got it started, rotating metal finished it off during the break in run.

But it's back with the builder getting a warranty repair at no cost to me. Still sucks.

WIP 66 A Code GT Silver Frost w/Pony Interior
San Jose Built and Delivered 1/19/1966
Currently Replacing Drive Line and installing a T5 setup w/9" Currie rear
Wilwood all around

First Mustang! Bought August 2016
Currently working on fixing all the wrongs and updating for a safe drive
Bodywork and Paint after saving up the cash!

post #56 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Klutch, sorry to hear this happened to you! That's a huge bummer

Lifters seem to be big sources of failures in motors these days. I don't see people reporting dropped valves, spun bearings, etc. nearly as often as I see people reporting lifters exploding, or locking up, or getting stuck. End result is always the same - wiped cam and usually a wiped motor. Kind of makes me nervous. The Lunati lifters I have have a really good reputation so I'm hopeful for them.

Klutch, whatever you end up doing I think will be just fine. Rollers are great for reliability and peace of mind, but they do come with a cash cost up front. Flat tappets are also great, just a little more finicky to set up. If it were me I would not be comparing them from a performance standpoint so much as a "convenience vs. money" standpoint. Roller is convenient but expensive, flat tappet is somewhat inconvenient but inexpensive.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #57 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Garage
Get the center oiling lifters from Comp Cams.

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #58 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
Klutch, sorry to hear this happened to you! That's a huge bummer

Lifters seem to be big sources of failures in motors these days. I don't see people reporting dropped valves, spun bearings, etc. nearly as often as I see people reporting lifters exploding, or locking up, or getting stuck. End result is always the same - wiped cam and usually a wiped motor. Kind of makes me nervous. The Lunati lifters I have have a really good reputation so I'm hopeful for them.

Klutch, whatever you end up doing I think will be just fine. Rollers are great for reliability and peace of mind, but they do come with a cash cost up front. Flat tappets are also great, just a little more finicky to set up. If it were me I would not be comparing them from a performance standpoint so much as a "convenience vs. money" standpoint. Roller is convenient but expensive, flat tappet is somewhat inconvenient but inexpensive.
Thanks, Kelly. Always nice to hear from you and I greatly appreciate your encouragement. I sure hope to get my Mustang on road soon. If you're in Colorado Springs again, I'd be happy to give you a ride. Shoot, you can drive it if you want. It's not like rowing gears is anything new to you.

post #59 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Today I removed the intake manifold and and pulled the lifter from the number one cylinder exhaust valve. As you can see in the picture, it is significantly cupped. I will send this picture to Bullet and see what they say.

As you can see in the other picture, the lifter valley looks very clean. I can't find any metal shavings anywhere. I'm hoping I can get away with replacing the cam and not tearing down the engine. I will remove and cut open the oil filter to see what that might reveal.

And I'd like to know how I angered the car gods, or something because when I removed the carburetor, a piece of it stayed on the intake. That's right, a piece of the carburetor broke completely off. I didn't pry or force the carburetor. It lifted off easily. When I installed the carburetor, I simply snugged the bolts with a 1/4" drive ratchet as I have done for the past 40 years. It's a Summit carb which appears to be well made.

I think I'll go see a movie, or something, lest I commit seppuku.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (434.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (493.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (533.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (460.5 KB, 16 views)

post #60 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Summit has been good to me about questionable merchandise. Contact them and they may replace it.

64 1/2 coupe 260 automatic
Mfg date 8 days after the Mustang debut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page