24F AGM Battery - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

24F AGM Battery

Looking like the Mustang might need a new battery. I've noticed the prices falling on the AGM batteries and I can get one for under $150 from Advance Auto with a 25% discount.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the theoretical no vent or leak aspect of AGM batteries. Do they last longer or is it just as much of a a crap shoot as the normal lead acid batteries.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 PM

Garage
My Optima red top that I bought in 2003 was replaced in 2015. It was still working fine, just wanted to get a lighter weight battery.

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Both Advance Auto and Autozone carry the same AGM batteries that are made by Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls also owns Optima at this point and it's possible they make all AGM batteries? I like the more conventional look and lower price of the store branded batteries over the Optima's. I guess I'll give one a try.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
No, Johnson Controls doesn't make all AGM batteries. I think LaurieS gutted an old 24F case and put 2 wheelchair batteries inside... you might be able to find a the post way back when.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
No, Johnson Controls doesn't make all AGM batteries..
I assumed not, but you never know these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I think LaurieS gutted an old 24F case and put 2 wheelchair batteries inside... you might be able to find a the post way back when.
Sounds like a lot of work that I am not into at this point! Although not original looking the black and gray of the JC battery will be an improvement over the white and green Interstate it replaces. I imagine a little black paint on 2 sides and a Autolite "topper" and it would look factory!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm in a similar situation. My Axion-manufactured Autolite Group 27 AGM battery failed and I've been searching for a replacement that doesn't cost $300+. Found this thread and thought it was quite interesting that in less than a year most AGM battery prices have increased to similar levels as Optima RedTop batteries. I searched for group 24 sized AGM batteries from Interstate, AdvancedAuto branded versions, Exide, Odyssey, and Costco and they're all around the $200 price point.

I don't want to use a traditional vented lead-acid battery and I've enjoyed the performance of my past AGM battery. With prices close to Optima RedTops, are there other AGM batteries with 600+ CCA that anyone can recommend. I've heard of customer service and other issues with Optima so it seems most have a love/hate relationship with them but I've never used one so I'd be open to buying one.

BTW - my battery is trunk mounted with a '67 style bracket securing it so while the top of the battery needs to remain approx 6.75" wide, based on the Group Size 24, but the length/height/posts are flexible. Additionally, I don't care what the battery looks like. If the battery I find supports using the Autolite topper, I may buy it, but with my battery in the trunk, it rarely sees the light of day.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
I'm using a group 34\78 agm battery from O'Reilly Auto. 750 cca .
Not light . Must weigh close to 40#

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6fastback View Post
I'm using a group 34\78 agm battery from O'Reilly Auto. 750 cca .
Not light . Must weigh close to 40#
Thanks for sharing. Looks like this is your battery?
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...6/ford/mustang

It does state that battery weighs 43lbs but at $189 with a $15 oreillys gift card, it does make it a bit cheaper over the Optima. How long have you been using that battery?

For comparison, I'm also considering the Optima RedTop Group Size 35 as it's available for $200 and weighs 32lbs.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...6/ford/mustang

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM

If I was buying one I’d go to pep boys and get the Bosch AGM platinum battery. Pretty sure they’re made by Exide. If you live anywhere by a Rural King Store they have their own label of the same battery. For a while they’d ship them so I have 3 in 3 different vehicles one being my Mustang. (I did buy the marine version, don’t really need the dual terminal but it had a higher amp hour rating) Then they stopped so if I was getting something local it would be the Bosch. I used to buy Ootima, but they got pricey and other companies seem to have caught up with the technology.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
If I was buying one I’d go to pep boys and get the Bosch AGM platinum battery. Pretty sure they’re made by Exide. If you live anywhere by a Rural King Store they have their own label of the same battery. For a while they’d ship them so I have 3 in 3 different vehicles one being my Mustang. (I did buy the marine version, don’t really need the dual terminal but it had a higher amp hour rating) Then they stopped so if I was getting something local it would be the Bosch. I used to buy Ootima, but they got pricey and other companies seem to have caught up with the technology.
@gregb, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually right near you in Torrance. I'd looked at Bosch batteries prior but they were priced at $194, which is similar to Optima and didn't really sway me. However, PepBoys is currently running a promotion online which drops the price to $146 + tax so approx $160 out the door (with core exchange). I might go this route since I respect Bosch products and the reviews of this battery are quite good.

To further complicate the decision, Jegs has the Optima 35 RedTop for $200, free shipping and no CA tax, and is running a $10 off per $100 spent promo so I'm at $180 delivered. Just grabbing the Bosch may be the easiest bet though. Do you own the Bosch battery?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm in a similar situation. My Axion-manufactured Autolite Group 27 AGM battery failed and I've been searching for a replacement that doesn't cost $300+. Found this thread and thought it was quite interesting that in less than a year most AGM battery prices have increased to similar levels as Optima RedTop batteries. I searched for group 24 sized AGM batteries from Interstate, AdvancedAuto branded versions, Exide, Odyssey, and Costco and they're all around the $200 price point.

I don't want to use a traditional vented lead-acid battery and I've enjoyed the performance of my past AGM battery. With prices close to Optima RedTops, are there other AGM batteries with 600+ CCA that anyone can recommend. I've heard of customer service and other issues with Optima so it seems most have a love/hate relationship with them but I've never used one so I'd be open to buying one.

BTW - my battery is trunk mounted with a '67 style bracket securing it so while the top of the battery needs to remain approx 6.75" wide, based on the Group Size 24, but the length/height/posts are flexible. Additionally, I don't care what the battery looks like. If the battery I find supports using the Autolite topper, I may buy it, but with my battery in the trunk, it rarely sees the light of day.
Brent- Sam's Club carries a battery that should work for you. As of a couple of weeks ago, they also had 20 dollars off all AGM batteries. I know because I purchased 2 group 31's from them for my offroad truck.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-g...lp_product_1_7 Current price shows 154.13 in the LA area. If the 20 dollars off is still on, it would be 134.13.

Specs: Specifications
20 amp hour rate:55
Battery electrolyte composition: Glass Mat
Battery end type: Top post
Battery purpose: Starting lighting instrumentation
BCI group size: 34
CA at 32 degrees F: 890
CCA at 0 degrees F: 775
Freight class: 65
Polarity: Left positive
Reserve capacity: 120
Terminal typeIN
Volts: 12

The battery is offered with a 3 year free replacement warranty and is manufactured by Deka/East Penn. It is also made in the USA. If you pick one up, make sure you buy the freshest date code available
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Hmmm, decision time. I like the Sam's Club Duracell battery for its low ~$150 price (with tax and after $20 promo). The Pep Boys Bosch battery is approx $160 and includes a 4-year free replacement warranty, whereas the Duracell and Optima are 3-years. But the Optima RedTop 35 comes in at 32lbs, almost 10lbs lighter than the Duracell/Bosch and only a bit costlier at $180.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
@gregb, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually right near you in Torrance. I'd looked at Bosch batteries prior but they were priced at $194, which is similar to Optima and didn't really sway me. However, PepBoys is currently running a promotion online which drops the price to $146 + tax so approx $160 out the door (with core exchange). I might go this route since I respect Bosch products and the reviews of this battery are quite good.

To further complicate the decision, Jegs has the Optima 35 RedTop for $200, free shipping and no CA tax, and is running a $10 off per $100 spent promo so I'm at $180 delivered. Just grabbing the Bosch may be the easiest bet though. Do you own the Bosch battery?
I have the Rural King version. I have one in my Tundra, one in a boat and one in my Mustang. For a while they were 119 shipped. They don’t ship batteries anymore or I’d have bought one for my Chevelle.....when the optima finally goes out in it I’ll get the Bosch. Just my preference. Optimas still have good specs but the Exide/Bosch had more reserve capacity on the ones I looked at.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:27 AM

Just looking, the Bosch in a group 35 weighs 37 pounds, has 110 minute reserve capacity, 780cca at 32 degrees and 650 at 0 degrees, not a temp seen in Torrance since the last ice age I imagine.

The Optima weighs 31.7 pounds, has a 90 minute reserve, and 720cca with no temp giving, which I think means 32 degrees rating.

See ya around Torrance or the beach......
Brent likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
I replace mine about every 7 yrs whether is needs it or not.

I just put in an exide Sprinter classic a few weekends ago

$115 with 2 yr replacement

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page