Power Steering Upgrade - '66 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
 18Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Power Steering Upgrade - '66 Mustang

I'm looking to upgrade the power steering on my '66 mustang but need a little help on what to get. I live in the mountains and have a lot of turns and switch backs on the roads so I just want a system that can better handle those turns and if I want to hammer down and have some fun (400hp 302 w/ 4-spd T10) too the steering will perform. Currently with the production system its just a bear to steer the thing through the turns and have to be on my toes constantly because of its unpredictably.

I've been looking both at the Borgeson System and rack and pinion systems. I'm leaning more toward the Borgeson system but would like to hear what others have used and how pleased they are with their choices.

I've read in some places the clearances can be tight with headers and the Borgeson system. I have full length headman headers. Does anyone know if I will have clearance issues with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Has the Arning/Shelby UCA modification been done on the car?
Does it have a 1" anti-sway bar?
Does it have an export brace?
GT spec front coil springs?
What shocks and how old are they?
Is there excessive free play in the steering wheel?

Let's start with these answers and go from there. A "power steering upgrade" isn't necessarily going to solve anything for you.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Too bad, I re-built the original power steering in my 66 and it performs very well. I have heard the Burgeon System is good, however, you may have an issue with those long headers. Good Luck

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Has the Arning/Shelby UCA modification been done on the car?
Does it have a 1" anti-sway bar?
Does it have an export brace?
GT spec front coil springs?
What shocks and how old are they?
Is there excessive free play in the steering wheel?

Let's start with these answers and go from there. A "power steering upgrade" isn't necessarily going to solve anything for you.
I haven't done anything to the suspension yet. I'm planning on also upgrading the suspension at the same time or shortly there after.

I have roughly 4-5" of free play in the steering wheel. Also when switching steering direction there is a tight spot in the steering and then a "pop" and direction will change. From my understanding this is a very common issue with Ford's power steering. That's why I'm starting with the steering.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarnielsen View Post
Too bad, I re-built the original power steering in my 66 and it performs very well. I have heard the Burgeon System is good, however, you may have an issue with those long headers. Good Luck
Do you have an idea of how much interference I will have? Is it something I can add a couple small dents in the headers and be good to go?
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Here is a recent discussion on racks. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...s-problem.html

Here's a thread on the Borgenson PS. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/m...version-2.html

I ended up having the original PS setup rebuilt after contemplating both the Borgenson and the rack and pinion for a few years. I like manual steering best but I'm to broken down to drive it that way with fat tires.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharmon67 View Post
Do you have an idea of how much interference I will have? Is it something I can add a couple small dents in the headers and be good to go?
No one can answer that without knowing the specific header.

4ocious is correct in asking the questions he did. I think that you just want to ensure the front end is setup properly, even if you elect to use stock components with the Arning/Shelby drop.

With 4-5" of slop in the wheel, you might want to have it rebuilt and give it a go. If you still feel the need for an upgrade, you can sell it as a newly rebuilt unit and offset some of the cost of the Borgeson unit or a factory setup.
markb0729 likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Im a huge fan of my Borgeson setup. I've also got a roller idler arm and global west tie rod adjustment sleeves to help get rid of slop.

My car has the Arning drop and street or tracks front end with a 1in sway bar. All the steering gear (centre link and tie rods are new) Handles like it's on rails through the mountains here.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhutt View Post
No one can answer that without knowing the specific header.

4ocious is correct in asking the questions he did. I think that you just want to ensure the front end is setup properly, even if you elect to use stock components with the Arning/Shelby drop.

With 4-5" of slop in the wheel, you might want to have it rebuilt and give it a go. If you still feel the need for an upgrade, you can sell it as a newly rebuilt unit and offset some of the cost of the Borgeson unit or a factory setup.
Ditto. Get in touch with @CHOCK now before he goes into hibernation.

He rebuilt my complete power steering system and steering box. Works perfectly!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
We recently upgraded my Mom's completely stockish 65 Fastback. We added the 1" Shelby drop, 620 coils, 16" rims, 1" front swaybar, new bushings, new ball joints, 11" discs up front, mid-eye leafs in the rear, 3/4 rear swaybar, completely rebuilt power steering valve and ram. We also added a monte carlo bar, single piece export brace to strengthen the front clip. Behind the wheel, it handles like a completely different animal and is an ease to steer. It sounds like your issue could be directly related to your steering box. Do you currently have the slave cylinder lowering bracket on your car to clear your headers?
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:27 PM

4.5" of play in the steering is a lot. How about ZERO? That's what my car has.
It has a mildly hot-rodded Ford/Bendix power steering system. (Shelby "quick"
steer with bushed idler arm, polyurethane slave bushings, bigger P/S pulley.....
that kind of stuff)
On the track, about the most I turn the steering wheel is 1/4 turn. It's shockingly
responsive. That's a little less than 1/4 wheel in the photo..... the turn is the top
of the Budweiser Balcony at Willow Springs, it's about a 180.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wh-DSC_0687x_zpsacc4b3d7.jpg (85.9 KB, 10 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
How about a power steering "system" like the one used on '63 to '82 Corvettes? Would that give you enough performance?
CHOCK, Flade, subpar63 and 1 others like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharmon67 View Post
I'm looking to upgrade the power steering on my '66 mustang but need a little help on what to get. I live in the mountains and have a lot of turns and switch backs on the roads so I just want a system that can better handle those turns and if I want to hammer down and have some fun (400hp 302 w/ 4-spd T10) too the steering will perform. Currently with the production system its just a bear to steer the thing through the turns and have to be on my toes constantly because of its unpredictably.

I've been looking both at the Borgeson System and rack and pinion systems. I'm leaning more toward the Borgeson system but would like to hear what others have used and how pleased they are with their choices.

I've read in some places the clearances can be tight with headers and the Borgeson system. I have full length headman headers. Does anyone know if I will have clearance issues with these?
I have a Unisteer Rack and Pinion installed in my 65 Coupe and I couldn't be happier. The steering is extremely responsive and light to the point that I can single finger steer at any speed. I have never used the Borgenson so I don't know how it compares....
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Do you currently have the slave cylinder lowering bracket on your car to clear your headers?
I do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
How about a power steering "system" like the one used on '63 to '82 Corvettes? Would that give you enough performance?
I'm not familiar with this system.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

So what I'm hearing is start off by rebuilding the production system, complete the Shelby drop and see how it feels.

Then from there upgrade items if it's not up to the level I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page