Built or bought? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 62Likes

post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernnstang View Post
agreed 100%... I checked out those factory fives how are they tough build?
Well I can tell you they are far simpler than my restomod. The Factory Five Cobra is on its 4th or so generation, so most all of the bugs have been worked out. What this means to you is that most, if not all, of the parts fit the first time. The kits are based upon Mustang mechanicals, so the parts are readily available. You can do a donor build, as I did, or build a car with all new parts. It is based upon choice and your budget. If you are seriously thinking about building one, I suggest you look into Build School. Build School is a partnership with Mott Junior College outside of Detroit and Factory Five Racing. The class is taught over three days in which you will see the car progress from a bare frame chassis to a running driving vehicle. Now they do take some short cuts as many of the major assemblies are prepared and ready to install. However you will see and be involved in all that is necessary to build a car. I went to the build school in 2011 and it convinced me that I could build and finish the car. You can figure that a well done donor build is between $25K and $35K. A complete build with new parts can be $35K to $60K depending on your drivetrain and what level of quality and performance you are looking for. For me, building the FF Cobra was one of the most rewarding things I have done, period.

If you have more detailed questions, PM me and we can have a conversation outside of this thread.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnjockey View Post
I have owned my 70 MACH 1 for 20 years. I started the restoration on it 4 years ago. Currently it has been painted and I am attempting to put it back together. Unfortunately it has been sidelined because of medical reasons. I thought about taking it to a shop and having it finished, but I can’t bring myself to do it. This is my light at the end of the tunnel.
I will have my last chemo treatment on Nov 30, 2018. After that weekend I will start to regain my strength and energy. My goal is to have it finished and driving in 2019. If I took it to a shop to be finished I feel like I would lose a part of what has helped keep me going. Besides, I can’t afford to have a shop finish it. LOL.
If you have the time and the energy to tackle a project I think you will have a better appreciation for it. If you have the funds and can afford to buy one that is close to what you want, go for it. I don’t think any less of a person who buys a finished car but is passionate about it.

P.S... I have asked a few friends to come help me on areas that I lack the knowledge in.

LJ
I agree about the shop don’t know if I could bring it to a shop then you loose the sense of accomplishing I’d rather buy a new one at that point. But that being said I think if you have the ability and the time and resources to do a build it’s an experience.
Lawnjockey likes this.
post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 PM

I build because I don't trust many folks to do the work that I can... But building is nearly always more money than buying. Case in point, the '68 I'm doing for my friend will be around a $45k car and it won't even have a new paint job or perfect body work on it. Classic's are VERY overpriced these days, unless you have a lot of patience to look.

Oh, and building a vintage mustang to be your daily driver (for the next 10 years), in Dallas, TX adds up QUICK when you want to make it as safe and reliable as possible while still retaining enough character to give you a good experience. Hopefully everything works out for him

post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I have owned my 70 MACH 1 for 20 years. I started the restoration on it 4 years ago. Currently it has been painted and I am attempting to put it back together. Unfortunately it has been sidelined because of medical reasons. I thought about taking it to a shop and having it finished, but I canít bring myself to do it. This is my light at the end of the tunnel.
I will have my last chemo treatment on Nov 30, 2018. After that weekend I will start to regain my strength and energy. My goal is to have it finished and driving in 2019. If I took it to a shop to be finished I feel like I would lose a part of what has helped keep me going. Besides, I canít afford to have a shop finish it. LOL.
If you have the time and the energy to tackle a project I think you will have a better appreciation for it. If you have the funds and can afford to buy one that is close to what you want, go for it. I donít think any less of a person who buys a finished car but is passionate about it.

P.S... I have asked a few friends to come help me on areas that I lack the knowledge in.

LJ

Off topic but good luck with your recovery!!
Lawnjockey likes this.
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Quote:
agreed isn’t that the point of owning one so you could work on them and drive them but some people don’t appreciate them.
For some of us yes. But there are plenty of people in this hobby that enjoy and appreciate classic cars, but really have no business working on them. It is good for the hobby and the industry as a whole to have these people around. They are the reason so many shops exist, and so many experts are still out there. Without these people, we would all be a bunch of amateurs trying to figure things out, and losing money doing it.
that’s true I’m still pretty new and plenty of you guys helped me out of a lot of situation on my car.
post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising68 View Post
Anybody can plop down a chunk of change and buy one IMO. To me it is all the experience, the learning, the pride, the accomplishment, etc. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined to begin with. learning new skills was part of the fun. Not going to look like a custom show car but it will be good enough for me for sure.

For me this is my second Mustang. My first was a 1968 Coupe 289 C4 auto. It looked good when I bought it buy it was all fresh bondo over rust and paint. I learned how to keep it running. Learned some body work, mechanical work, engine work, etc. Never had the proper tools and never had a lift or anything. Remember doing an exhaust in the winter in the driveway. Anyhow, I looked at my step father's and decided I could do a much better job than when I was a teenager. Now mind you I have a place to store the car when not working on it and I have a warehouse with a lift and all the tools I could want ( I own a tool company ) The experience comparing each car is really fun to me. My original was so rusted I never knew what a torque box looked like; this one had so little rust it was fun seeing it so clean.

Now having said all that, If I had $150-$200K I would buy a fully done custom vintage car with a modern drivetrain and suspension. That if I hit the lottery one of these days haha.
I think we all would want something like that if we had the money sitting next to the one I built.
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
A little bit of both

Bought the most I could afford in decent shape body-wise along with running drive-train with the intention of upgrading when time and $$ allowed.

After driving a unmolested C code with slushbox for 5 years, it was time for upgrading. After a lot of research etc..... the original 289 was rebuilt to 325+ HP, the C4 replaced with a 4spd toploader, rear-end replaced and suspension upgraded.

Now, IMO, it's to the point where it's just a blast to take out and enjoy.

So yes, for me anyway, initially bought but enjoyably built to my vision.

John
4ocious likes this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I "bought" an original unmolested 1965 C code hardtop from California and am "building" it to my tastes. I've saved many a rust bucket including a 67 hardtop in 1990. Too old and broken-down for a complete restoration these days!
Atleast you’ve had the experience with a full rust bucket. That’s something that you’ll never forget.
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 PM

I built my 1970 Mach 1. Took it down to a bare-metal shell on a homemade rotisserie I put together with construction lumber. I'm trying to finish it up. It's looking like it will be an eight year project. Yeah, it was all the about the journey and not the destination.

If I get another Mustang, I will buy it done or mostly done. I'm getting tool old for the "built-it" thing.
lilalaric and Lawnjockey like this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
Quote:
agreed 100%... I checked out those factory fives how are they tough build?
Well I can tell you they are far simpler than my restomod. The Factory Five Cobra is on its 4th or so generation, so most all of the bugs have been worked out. What this means to you is that most, if not all, of the parts fit the first time. The kits are based upon Mustang mechanicals, so the parts are readily available. You can do a donor build, as I did, or build a car with all new parts. It is based upon choice and your budget. If you are seriously thinking about building one, I suggest you look into Build School. Build School is a partnership with Mott Junior College outside of Detroit and Factory Five Racing. The class is taught over three days in which you will see the car progress from a bare frame chassis to a running driving vehicle. Now they do take some short cuts as many of the major assemblies are prepared and ready to install. However you will see and be involved in all that is necessary to build a car. I went to the build school in 2011 and it convinced me that I could build and finish the car. You can figure that a well done donor build is between $25K and $35K. A complete build with new parts can be $35K to $60K depending on your drivetrain and what level of quality and performance you are looking for. For me, building the FF Cobra was one of the most rewarding things I have done, period.

If you have more detailed questions, PM me and we can have a conversation outside of this thread.
appreciate the insight was actually just checking that catalog out this morning after having not looked at it for awhile. I think that’s definitely gonna be my next project.
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I plan on kicking Cancers ***. Too much to live for

LJ
coupesix, cruising68 and BigKoppa like this.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1663/pg2f.jpg

1951 F1
1957 Chevy 210 2dr Post
1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertable
1963 Corvette Stingray (original survivor car)
1966 Coupe Mustang
1967 Mustang FB
1970 MACH 1
1972 Chevelle (402, 4spd)
2007 Roush Blackjack #10 of 100
post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabridin View Post
I build because I don't trust many folks to do the work that I can... But building is nearly always more money than buying. Case in point, the '68 I'm doing for my friend will be around a $45k car and it won't even have a new paint job or perfect body work on it. Classic's are VERY overpriced these days, unless you have a lot of patience to look.

Oh, and building a vintage mustang to be your daily driver (for the next 10 years), in Dallas, TX adds up QUICK when you want to make it as safe and reliable as possible while still retaining enough character to give you a good experience. Hopefully everything works out for him
if it’s something I’m capable of agreed I don’t trust anyone to do work I’m fully capable of doing.
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I built my 1970 Mach 1. Took it down to a bare-metal shell on a homemade rotisserie I put together with construction lumber. I'm trying to finish it up. It's looking like it will be an eight year project. Yeah, it was all the about the journey and not the destination.

If I get another Mustang, I will buy it done or mostly done. I'm getting tool old for the "built-it" thing.
I am following your build Klutch. You are doing an amazing job.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1663/pg2f.jpg

1951 F1
1957 Chevy 210 2dr Post
1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertable
1963 Corvette Stingray (original survivor car)
1966 Coupe Mustang
1967 Mustang FB
1970 MACH 1
1972 Chevelle (402, 4spd)
2007 Roush Blackjack #10 of 100
post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpar63 View Post
A little bit of both

Bought the most I could afford in decent shape body-wise along with running drive-train with the intention of upgrading when time and $$ allowed.

After driving a unmolested C code with slushbox for 5 years, it was time for upgrading. After a lot of research etc..... the original 289 was rebuilt to 325+ HP, the C4 replaced with a 4spd toploader, rear-end replaced and suspension upgraded.

Now, IMO, it's to the point where it's just a blast to take out and enjoy.

So yes, for me anyway, initially bought but enjoyably built to my vision.

John
i can’t wait for my car to get to that point where I can drive and enjoy it.
FRC928 likes this.
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I plan on kicking Cancers ***. Too much to live for

LJ
glad to hear.
Lawnjockey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page